Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Default Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem

So I'm sold, I want dual exhausts, there's one problem though, I dont feel safe / sure about cutting a hole in my rear bumper for my 2nd exhaust, and getting a GT take-off bumper isn't an option. I have racing stripes on my car that cover the bumper and if I take the bumper off, the stripes come off and leave a huge mess with the re-taping and what-not. Could I get a mechanic place to do the bumper work for me so I can be 100% sure that there won't be a **** up? How much would they charge? I want it to look nice also, can you tell that there is a cut-out hole for your exhaust or does it look natural?
Thanks
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem

based off pics from people here, if the cut is done right no one would ever know it wasnt stock like that, also you could take look at the Street Scene rear bumper valance, mine is on its way to me as we speak(i would have it if ninosport warehouse people werent idiots and sent me something for a TAHOE instead)it just attaches to the stock bumper in some way(probably 3M tape and screws), so you could easily just add stripes to that small peice, it cant be more than a few inches

otherwise your best bet to find out if/how much is to call the place that you want to do the exhaust,explain to them what needs to be done and see what they say, worse case senario is you need a body shop to do it
Old 11-16-2007, 10:52 PM
sopenco1
1st Gear Member

dude dont be scared i was nervous when i asked the guy if he could cut the bumper for me and he did a good job. Its not that hard and it looked clean. all i had to do was wipe down the black marker marks he left when drawing the hole to know where to cut it correctly look at my sig it looks identical to the right hole just do it u wont regret it. what mufflers are u going to be using ?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:03 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf

cutout template for your bumper
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 AM
MyMaria

I just did mine last week. It took me 2 days to build up the courage to cut the bumper.I personally didn't think that pypes cut-out template lined up well at all when i put it over the existing hole. SoI made my own. Then basically followed this write up.

https://mustangforums.com/http//www...._555524/tm.htm

And just an FYI, I went to Midas for the exhaust work, and they said it was good that i cut it myself becasue theywouldn't do it.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:21 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

And remember, don't mark the bumper with a black marker. Put painters tape on the bumper and draw on that. Therearesome really good posts about how to make the template, cut the bumper and do the install.Do a little searching, you'll find 'em.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 PM
DylanFan
3rd Gear Member

I asked the guy at the local muffler shop what he would charge to install the Pypes dual exhaust kit that sells for $319. I told him that I had the other GT take-off as I already had the right side GT take-off installed. He told me to not buy the kit and just bring the other muffler and he would take care of it. For $220 total including tax he fabricated the driver's side exhaust pipe, installed an H pipe, cut the hole in the bumper and mounted the driver's side muffler. I dropped the car at 8:00 AM and he was done by noon. I picked it up and it sounded great. I bought the GT take-offs on E-bay for $50 plus $25 for shipping. The entire dual exaust with H pipe cost me right around $300. I gave him the Pypes cut-out template and he said it didn't look right so he made his own and used that to cut the hole. It looks perfect to me.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:55 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I was afraid to make the cut, so the guys who installed my duals cut it for me. They said it was nothing.....the bumper piece is plastic so with a sharp tool it cut like butter. They sanded down the edge for me then touched up the edges with touch up paint that I purchased from Ford. They used the template from Pypes. You can't tell that it is not factory installed. In fact, I stopped by one of the Ford dealers a month ago anda couple ofsalesmen commented how they looked like factory.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:58 PM
davesyo
2nd Gear Member

I cut my bumper using a jig saw with a fine tooth blade and cut just to the inside of the line and then used sandpaper to finish up
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM
The Potato
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the info guys, I dont know what kind of exhaust set up I want yet. Any recomendations? I want a dual exhaust that sounds like a deep "muscle car" growl, gives horsepower, but not sounding ricey.

Quick Reply: Want to Dual Exhaust, but there's a wee problem