Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

dumb question =X

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:14 PM
proper
2nd Gear Member

Default dumb question =X

i tried searchign but the search doesnt work ? what does True Dual mean ? ive seen people typed True Dual X, or True Duel H
Old 11-19-2007, 05:19 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: dumb question =X

i've heard people say true duals are like this || and X or H are not true because they intersect.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
proper
2nd Gear Member

o ok so thats wat the difference was.. thats what I thought but some of the stuff i read kidna confused me.. so true duals are | | and X or H are not because they intersect... thanks for the 411!
Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
fender12
1st Gear Member

No thats not right. An X-pipe or H-pipe are true duals. A Y-pipe which the V-6 have stock are not no matter if it has two pipes at the exit. That just makes it dual exit. In order to have true dual you must have a X or an H. I think what alex0o85is talking about with the two straight lines, sry i dont know how to do that on the computer, is straight pipes. But even with those you have to have an X or and H but dont quote me on that. The only thing i know about straights is there is no cats. I wouldnt think that would sound good on a V6 usually those are what the big jacked up trucks have on them. To answer your question though; what is true duals? it just means that each header has a pipe to exit out of im not to sure on all the technical stuff thought like why it is better and what not. If you do want to go with true dual on a mustang which i did on mine i like the X. The H is a supposed to be louder but the X is made to have a better tone and for preformance so iv heard not to sure on that thought iv never tested it. And finally there is no stupid questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. Im still learning everyday about cars it just takes time and asking questions. and to let you know all of these people on this website that iv ever asked a question to have been very nice and helpful and have alsobeen able to help me so dont be scared to ask because someone will answer
Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM
alex0o85
2nd Gear Member

ok, i got that info from someone else on here, so i guess they were wrong, about ho straight pipes are true duals, and not X or H. I actually only know two setups, true dual X and H, then Y, which isn't true dual. And fender12, hold SHIFT and press this key, \ and thats how you make this: | I never knew either, but good thing i took computer courses.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:47 PM
fender12
1st Gear Member

yea thats nice to know |||||||||||| alright see i learn something new everyday
Old 11-19-2007, 06:58 PM
sopenco1
1st Gear Member

well you can run a true dual without an x or h except you will lose backpressure so you will lose a little bit of torque. A crossover pipe is used to equalize the pressure between the two pipes. This also equalizes the sound. The x will give u slightly more power over the h but the H has a much better sound but if your looking for proven power just go with a single mrt going duals has a better look but you have to get everything right to get a great exhaust system.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:53 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Please read the below thead for better discription:
https://mustangforums.com/m_2981536/...tm.htm#2981536

The 4.0 fires in a side to side fashion not alternating fashion so 135 and 246 fire, its why we don't sound better. If you go with true duals l l you don't lose tons of back pressure due to the way it fires. People go with anX or H for the sound as well as a increase in power with is very minimal in our cars.
Even Y to Y you still don't lose a whole lot cause there isn't a lot coming out.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM
fender12
1st Gear Member

Just wanted to add rmays06 you have a really cool mustang i got the same one but diffrent mods. But yours looks really good
Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fender12

Just wanted to add rmays06 you have a really cool mustang i got the same one but diffrent mods. But yours looks really good
Thank you!

Quick Reply: dumb question =X