Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Flowmaster American Thunder

Old 11-22-2007, 01:24 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster American Thunder

+1. I've got a single Flowmaster AT on my Mustang right now, and I think they sound great for a single muffler. They're pretty deep, have a nice mean growl to them, and they definitely turn heads when you walk on them, not bad for a single.

However, I'm also going to ditch the AT for duals some time next summer (mainly for the nice symmetrical appearance, like Praline mentioned) so if that's ultimately the direction you want to go, may as well just do it that way right off the bat.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:21 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

I have one hanging in the garage! LOL I liked the sound of it around town, but on the interstate at speed the "drone" was unbearable over an 8.5 hour trip. So, I took it off, ran the stock for a little while, then put on the Ford Racing/Borla axle back and love it. I was torn between that one and the GT take off. I went with theFR/Borla just because it was made specifically for the V6. The FR definately looks better made, and it's not painted black, it's stainless. The clamp on the FR was also much better; very similar to the stock clamp. The Flow's clamp took forever to tighten, and just didn't seem to be as secure. My 2 cents...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:00 AM
silstang23
2nd Gear Member

I have read some not so good things about the American Thunder Flowmasters so I went with dual flowmaster original 40's on my V6 and they sound great. I was worried about having some high pitch or raspy exhaust like I've heard on other V6's with duals on youtube or somewhere but mine has a nice deep sound. I do admit the drone is loud but not overpowering. Then again I havent taken a long road trip yet so I don't know how much of a headache I will have after 8 hours. I will know in December...lol
Old 11-25-2007, 08:28 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

I have the AT and I like the sound. For the money and it being a quick inexpensive mod, I did it and don't regret it.

However, my only suggestion is that if you do, reuse the stock muffler clamp instead of the cheap clamp that comes with the AT. I didn't and regret it because it is hard to get tight and it rattles and squeaks a little bit every once in a while. The only fix I've heard for that is getting it welded but then it's no longer a "bolt-on" mod.

There is some drone noise to it but hey, I didn't get an aftermarketmuffler to be quiet- not annoying IMO. My wifer doesn't like it but it's music to my ears.