Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Snow Tires and Tunes - Now or Later?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Kevjud

Default Snow Tires and Tunes - Now or Later?

Now that winter is here and I don’t have a second car to drive, I had to put on the Blizzak snow tires to contend with the Midwest snows. Anyway, I plan on buying a CAI and Xcal from VMP but was wondering if I should wait until the spring as I can’t afford to wear out these tires since they are really soft. My question is, do any of you run the 87 gas mileage tune, and if so, is there much of a difference from stock? If I gain a little MPG’s now I may just go with it now and then once the tires come off, load in one of the performance tunes. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Default RE: Snow Tires and Tunes - Now or Later?

If you have an automatic, then you will notice improved shifts with an aftermarket tune versus stock. If you can afford it now, then you might as well buy the intake and tunes.

In my instance, I ran a 93 tune all summer, but recently switched to 87 now that the weather is colder. I don't need the extra HP in the winter (tracks will soon be closed), and I will enjoy paying less per gallon of gas using the lower octane. So far, my mpg has not gone down much from using the lower octane.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

28HopUp - I was wondering about the 87 tune myself. What kind of mpg are you getting with the tune?

Kevjud - Do snow tires make a difference? If so, what brands do you suggest?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: linesma

28HopUp - I was wondering about the 87 tune myself. What kind of mpg are you getting with the tune?

Kevjud - Do snow tires make a difference? If so, what brands do you suggest?
My mpg went up about 1.0-1.2 with the CAI and 93 tune over stock. Around town I'm getting 19.2. It's too soon to tell with the 87, but now my average (reset at the time of the retune) is 18.8.

And "winter tires" make a HUGE difference over "all-season" tires, like the Pirelli P-Zeros on the Pony Package. I have a set (4) of Pirelli 210 SottoSnows mounted on 17 take-off Bullitts, which are for my wife's S197 4.0L ragtop, whereas I have the P-Zeros on mine. Last winter, we took her convertible when the weather was bad.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:03 PM
linesma
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man. I have not had to deal with snow in a car for a long time. Last time I was in N. Virginia, I had a 4WD truck, and snow tires never entered my mind.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 PM
bds95stang
2nd Gear Member

i live in upstate NY..and we already have snow..and crappy roads..i had cooper studded snow tires put on this past saturday..trust me..they make a HUGE difference..we dont get our driveway plowed unless theres over a foot usualy..and even with the 6 inches we just got the other day...its still tough..but with the stock pzeros i woulda never made it out my driveway!..these tires are deff worth the money!
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 AM
Kevjud

As far as the snow tires, I bought a set of 16" mustang rims of off Ebay for $180, including the shipping and mounted Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60's on them. They make a huge difference. Discount Tire price matched The Tire Rack on the tires, I think they were around $86 a piece. I envy you "snowless" guys!
Old 12-05-2007, 01:48 PM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kevjud

My question is, do any of you run the 87 gas mileage tune, and if so, is there much of a difference from stock?

I ran with Justin's 87 agressive mileage tune for about 10 days or so till I changed back to 91 tune to demo a new driveshaft on a dyno next week. I was getting 25 ish on VMP 91 tune and the AM tune went to about 27 or so... Drivability feel is close to stock with better overall feel. Coasting fuel shutoff is lots faster (2-3 seconds to cutoff) as a feature of fuel savings. It's a great tune for winter driving on stock tires..Lots of throttle control.