Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Lots of Stuff came in today!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:45 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default Lots of Stuff came in today!!

Well, it was like Christmas early for me today. The men in brown showed up with my FR sway bar kit, FR dual exhaust kit with X pipe, and my JBA silver ceramic shorties. Got the sways on this afternoon, no big deal, straight forward job with the car on the ramps. Been going over the instructions for the duals kit. The instructions say the Y-pipe you cut goes inside the x pipe. But the Ford supplied clamps are straight not stepped for a smaller pipe. I ordered it through Joe Heck, and there was an extra box of stepped clamps in there, but the qualityismuch lower, and one ofits 4 bolts is MIA(the box of different clamps had opened during shipping and the contents were everywhere). I haven't compared the stock Y diameter to the x pipe diameter yet. The instructions say to cut the Y an 1.5 inches past the lip of the x, Ito allowit toslip fit into the x. Problem is, the clamps are for a butt style joint. Anyone on here that has installed the Ford Racing duals with the X-pipe got any input? Doe all of the kits come with these extra clamps? They are Walker Mega Clamps.Is the outside diameter of the Y at the cut the same at the X? The diameters of the X and the pipes to themufflersare the same and they butt up together. It just doesn't make sense to me to lay the X on the Y and cut the Y longer if they don't go inside the X. Anyone out there that can give me some feedback?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Lots of Stuff came in today!!

cool that you want to install yourself but i would take it to a local muff shop to have them install the kit. ask them to also tack weld the pipes together so that they are securely connected. from what i've read, clamps alone will loosen over time. maybe the headers you can install yourself if you're up for it but take your exhaust kit to a shop. JMO. good luck, enjoy your mods and report back with your experience after a test drive!
Old 12-06-2007, 10:03 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

+1 on the weld....+1

Why may I ask did you go with Headers? Are you going F/I soon? Really no gain showed for anyone even S/C'd guys....
Good luck and hit the local muffler shop for the weld, much less chance of leaks and better sound too.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:12 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmays06

+1 on the weld....+1

Why may I ask did you go with Headers? Are you going F/I soon? Really no gain showed for anyone even S/C'd guys....
Good luck and hit the local muffler shop for the weld, much less chance of leaks and better sound too.
To answer your question, yes I plan to sc in the near future, I want to have all of the little stuff done before I get to that, for me, it's a few parts at a time. I've read an article where there were gains from the headers, every little bit helps, if not now, down the road for sure. As far as the welding, I prefer to do the install, it's me and my car....bonding...LOL I may take it after it's installed to have ittacked.I only have a couple things left I want to do toit. Tint, wheels, and sc.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was hesitant on the headers, but since I was going to go through all the trouble with the duals, I might as well do the headers at the same time because I'll have the entire exhaust system out, and I know I would want to do it later.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:37 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Perfectly understandable with the bonding...lol as far as the headers at least you'll save some weight. You seem to be setting it up right and you'll have a beast if you keep at it but...I do want to recommend suspension....if you wanna bond with you car there is nothing like trying to tq a suspension bolt to 139 ft/lbs while laying on your back.....now that is bonding....lol
LCA's are a must.

ORIGINAL: themac5150

ORIGINAL: rmays06

+1 on the weld....+1

To answer your question, yes I plan to sc in the near future, I want to have all of the little stuff done before I get to that, for me, it's a few parts at a time. I've read an article where there were gains from the headers, every little bit helps, if not now, down the road for sure. As far as the welding, I prefer to do the install, it's me and my car....bonding...LOL I may take it after it's installed to have ittacked.I only have a couple things left I want to do toit. Tint, wheels, and sc.

Oh yeah, one more thing. I was hesitant on the headers, but since I was going to go through all the trouble with the duals, I might as well do the headers at the same time because I'll have the entire exhaust system out, and I know I would want to do it later.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

you wanna bond with you car there is nothing like trying to tq a suspension bolt to 139 ft/lbs while laying on your back

I hear ya man, its like the engine I am building now, it has 43 head bolts on each side that torque first to 220 ft/lbs then up to 330 ft/lbs, thats a job! Or the mains that torque to 600 ft/lbs.

I was hesitant on the headers, but since I was going to go through all the trouble with the duals, I might as well do the headers at the same time because I'll have the entire exhaust system out, and I know I would want to do it later.
Oh and a little advice to you with the new parts. Install your headers first, because to install the FRPP kit you wont have to remove the whole exhaust system, and if you do you will regret it actually. With the headers installed, the only exhaust you will have to deal with is the Y pipe back. This way everything will be in the correct place when you do your measuring and cutting. I have the FRPP kit myself and you will love it, good luck!
Old 12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: themac5150

.....I prefer to do the install, it's me and my car....bonding...LOL I may take it after it's installed to have ittacked.....
completely understood. good luck with everything.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:22 PM
raylandm
2nd Gear Member

No gains with headers? not even whne super or turbo charged? did not know that.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:23 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Good luck with the installs and let us know how you like it.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:20 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Got all of the stuff installed yesterday. Friday night I took off the stock manifolds and y pipe, and put on the headers. Cut the Y pipe at that time also. Cut the fascia and installed the FFRP x and duals Saturday morning. The trim pieces for the cut outs were challenging to install, and the template holes for thefasteners weren't dead on. I had to redrill a couple of them while putting those on. I chose tojust use the stock manifold studs and nuts. The nuts on mine were the tight locking kind, so theremoval and installation of those were tedious, but easy to reach. Reinstalling the EGR was fun,it was hard to get the thing started, and took a while to finally get it on without cross threading it. The dipstick was fun too. The hole just didn't want to line up after the thick header flange is in the way. Sounds pretty good. Not as loud as the FFRP axle back I had on there. The hardest part was trying to snake the old back pipe out from over the axle and get it out, and snaking the new pipes back in. I had the front on ramps and had to use the jack and stands on the back to lift the body away from the axle to give more room to play with. Not impossible, but frustrating. A lift would definately made that part a whole lot quicker.