Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Goin to the track his friday,for the first time!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:14 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Default Goin to the track his friday,for the first time!

Well i finally found a track thats not to far from my house,its only bout 15 mins away and this friday is street night, so ime taking the stang out there, its there last week open this year i guess, thats what one of the guys told me.(there closing for renivasions?i think)
but anyways is there any prep i should do before, i really dont want to break anything, its an 1/8 drag! And what times should i expect? thank for the help guys. If anyone in the houston area wants to come please let me know!
Old 12-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Goin to the track his friday,for the first time!

im going to the track this friday for the first time too! good luck man
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

ime so siked! it will be a blast!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:37 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

Me too! Will be in Orlando,Fla next week and plan on going to Orlando Speed World torun my 05 Mustang for the first time.This is also the first time in 28 years I've been to a drag strip to run a car. Last time I ran my 69 Road Runner. I'm really looking forward to this. No more drag strips on Long Island. Looking for a drive-in movie too. All the good things on L.I. close down.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:56 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Sam here ya go read this post before you go!

Relax, have fun and enjoy legally going as fast as your can will let you in 1320 feet. Don't worry to much about the time right away.
Keep your gas tank about 1/4, for some reason these cars run the best while the tank is there. Any lower and this car will go in to fuel saver mod and lean out on you....any more its extra weight.
Good luck buddy and enjoy it.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

thanks for that link rmays it helped alot. im in an auto so what is the best way going about the burnout before the race? breakstand?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jsierzega

thanks for that link rmays it helped alot. im in an auto so what is the best way going about the burnout before the race? breakstand?
Its your first time so don't try to set any land speed records, Don't run through the water box go around it, get to the burnout box and just heat the tires (clean them off) for a split second. Get to staging and when you second stag light comes on pump the brake to build pressure, put brake all the way down, apply gas to about 1500-1800 RPM range, don't try to break the tires loose and work your way from there. As the link said go when the last amber comes on let off brake and push all the way down. Take TCS off and make sure you have the O/D switched off. Go from drive.
After the second time adjust your RPM's a little go higher and lower.
ITS REALLY A GOOD TIME! Have fun.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

just to add to rons advice
every car is different but this is what worked best for me and got me from a 15.1 to a 14.88

[ol][*]lower pressure in rear tires ( i put mine at about 30psi)[*]raise pressure in front tires ( mine were at 40psi)[*]let the car cool down before you go.[*]do a small burn out, dont need to smoke the tires just heat em up a little bit[*]turn ac off[*]turn tcs off[*]turn o/d off[*]windows up[*]when i go i get too nervous if its quiet so i like playing music that amps me up[*]after you stage ( first two lights) you will have 3 amber lights then a green.[*]brake torque to about 15-1800 like ron said but when you let off the brake dont stomp it right away. you will spin like a mo fo and kill your 60 ft. it might be alot different with a t-lok but i would say that if you do spin after stomping it off the line hold your foot at where you brake torqued the engine to and let the wheels catch and then hit it to the floor.[*]after you run do not hot lap the car( keep going, not letting the car cool)[*]HAVE FUN. thats the most important part. you might not get the times that you are shooting for the first time you go. it takes time and practice to get good at the track. its totally different then the street. ive gone 4 times and i still am getting better at it. just have a good time racing your car Legally.[/ol]
Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dwisforme05

[ol][*]lower pressure in rear tires ( i put mine at about 30psi)[*]raise pressure in front tires ( mine were at 40psi)[*]let the car cool down before you go.[*]do a small burn out, dont need to smoke the tires just heat em up a little bit[*]turn ac off[*]turn tcs off[*]turn o/d off[*]windows up[*]when i go i get too nervous if its quiet so i like playing music that amps me up[*]after you stage ( first two lights) you will have 3 amber lights then a green.[*]brake torque to about 15-1800 like ron said but when you let off the brake dont stomp it right away. you will spin like a mo fo and kill your 60 ft. it might be alot different with a t-lok but i would say that if you do spin after stomping it off the line hold your foot at where you brake torqued the engine to and let the wheels catch and then hit it to the floor.[*]after you run do not hot lap the car( keep going, not letting the car cool)[*]HAVE FUN. thats the most important part. you might not get the times that you are shooting for the first time you go. it takes time and practice to get good at the track. its totally different then the street. ive gone 4 times and i still am getting better at it. just have a good time racing your car Legally.[/ol]
sounds like my routine right before i step into the night clubs...[8D]
Old 12-11-2007, 07:50 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

It was mentioned in the referenced newbie guide but its worth repeating. Red lighting does not affect your ET. The timers start when you break through the stagging beams. Some newbs don't understand that and let it become a total distraction. Just concentrate on all your launch and shift points and red light all night long it you want.
One more thing don't forget to remove all extra weight from the car. Everything from floor mats to sub woofers.

Quick Reply: Goin to the track his friday,for the first time!