Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dual ford Racing kit old question but just making sure

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 10:02 PM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

Default Dual ford Racing kit old question but just making sure

Hey everybody. This month i will be purchasing the ford racing dual exhaust kit for the v6. Right now I have a single flowmaster AT and ever since I changed it there has been a major increase in power. The only concern with getting the dual ford racing kit is backpressure. I heard before the car wont have enough backpressure with duals on a v6.Also will i gain morepowerwith the ford racing kit. and is this kit true duals.

Heres the webpage for the parts http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=9910

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:47 PM
95cobby
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dual ford Racing kit old question but just making sure

Yes that is the true dual kit. If you see the instructions listed on that page it will give you a better visual. As for the back pressure, I don't believe it's a problem with the duals.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:48 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

As is my understanding, exhaust systems (whether they're single or dual) don't give any substantial power gains (like maybe 1-2 hp) if you keep the cats on. Your single Flowmaster axleback keeps the stock cats, so the car didn't get any more powerful. It breathes a little easier with the less restrictive muffler, so it might hesitate a little less when taking off, and you probably picked up about 1 mpg in mileage, but nothing substantial. Same with duals. The Ford Racing X kit keeps the cats, so it also won't show any power gains. The power gain comes from the off-road pipe and exhaust "scavenging," which is something only seen on the V8 engine design.

Placebo effect, maybe, but nothing serious on a dyno.

As for backpressure, you should be fine. The backpressure can apparently become an issue if you run true-duals (pipes straight back from the manifolds, with no H or X crossover) and doing that can cost you some low-end torque. However, since you still have the cats and the mufflers also provide backpressure, you'll be okay.

Duals on a V6 are basically just for look and sound.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:30 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: raubt

As is my understanding, exhaust systems (whether they're single or dual) don't give any substantial power gains (like maybe 1-2 hp) if you keep the cats on. Your single Flowmaster axleback keeps the stock cats, so the car didn't get any more powerful. It breathes a little easier with the less restrictive muffler, so it might hesitate a little less when taking off, and you probably picked up about 1 mpg in mileage, but nothing substantial. Same with duals. The Ford Racing X kit keeps the cats, so it also won't show any power gains. The power gain comes from the off-road pipe and exhaust "scavenging," which is something only seen on the V8 engine design.

As for backpressure, you should be fine. The backpressure can apparently become an issue if you run true-duals (pipes straight back from the manifolds, with no H or X crossover) and doing that can cost you some low-end torque. However, since you still have the cats and the mufflers also provide backpressure, you'll be okay.

+1 That is correct!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

i partially agree. justin@vmp tested just the GT takeoff with about a 6-8 hp gain on his dyno. this isnt outrageous power but its significant enough to upgrade the exhaust. as for backpressure and duals, its not that you need backpressure, what you need is more coming out of your exhaust ports to take full advantage of the setup. honestly, i felt no noticeable diff when i went duals. if there was a loss in low end torq, i didnt notice much at all. besides, whatever i lost, i gained right back with my CAI and custom tunes. what i did notice before my intake/tune, however, was that i felt more go on the high end. i love my duals [8D].
Old 12-13-2007, 05:20 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

I have it, just put it on last Saturday. Sounds good, looks good, didn't notice any drop or real gain in power. It's alot quieter than the FFRP borla axle back I had on there. But it has a deeper tone now. And just a tip, the clamps you use on the front of the X, where the Y slides in 1.5" (you have to cut the stock set up, so make sure you adding those inches in the right direction) ARE WORTHLESS. I put them on and torqued up to 60 ft/lbs and the X still slid around on the y pipe. I ordered from Joe Heck racing and they included Walker Megaclamps that are stepped for the change in pipe diameter, and work they work perfectly. You could weld it also, but I just used those clamps. I love the symmetrical look of the rear of the car now.