Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI and tune question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 01:43 AM
ctpeterson87

Default CAI and tune question

so what happens if you leave your tuner on the stock setting and drive around like that?
Old 12-19-2007, 01:59 AM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI and tune question

Well I would suppose you are talking about having the CAI (more airflow) installed over the stock and just leaving it un-tuned right?

Besides possibly screwing something up (don't think it would happen really but...) your car would probably shut itself off pretty quick from what I am thinking. Reason = computer would be confused and could not comprehend that someone has tampered with it's usual stock airflow. It would choke on too much air lmao.

I had that happen with one of the first intakes I got that didn't require a tune with it... it shut off on the highway ONCE (pretty scary). It happened when I really gassed it to the floor and just died... had to do a rolling start at 65mph lmao. :O Engine was fine, car was good to go still, never did WOT getting onto the freeway again. It never happened again after that though (country drive test) so it was probably "one of those things".

Kinda scary when the car shuts itself off because the power steering suddenly shuts down too.. and if you are turning when this happens then you are in some serious trouble if you don't have some strong arms.

**NOTE** I was told by the guy who setup my tune when he was first working on it to NOT RUN MY CAR with the new air intake on by itself without the tune. He strongly urged me to not even attempt it. I already knew that but coming from mr. tuner himself, it just backs up what i'm saying. Don't do it... it probably won't run long anyhow.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

It is not so great of an idea. If you already have the tuner you should probably just get a tune. Check out VMP Tuning, the sell tunes for $50.

If it is a good intake, you are probably running lean. If the intake bad, it probably doesnt even matter. If your CEL pops, you know what the issue is.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
ctpeterson87

yeah well i was just wondering... cuz every one talks about having a CAI + Tune but they say that when u take it to the dealership to turn it back to stock so they dont know.. so i was jus wonderin wut the difference was between the "tuned" setting and stock setting
Old 12-19-2007, 01:47 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ctpeterson87

yeah well i was just wondering... cuz every one talks about having a CAI + Tune but they say that when u take it to the dealership to turn it back to stock so they dont know.. so i was jus wonderin wut the difference was between the "tuned" setting and stock setting
if your intake uses factory size MAF housing, then going back to stock tune should not be problem for the time it takes to take it to the dealership. if you do have an oversized MAF housing intake, like i do now, then it might be best to re-install the factory intake. in C&L's case, they sell a "no-tune" insert that fits into the section where the MAF sensor goes. its a smaller diameter so it allows you to go back to stock tune without swapping intakes. i need to order one soon just in case.