Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Sohc question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:14 PM
thedragon
1st Gear Member

Default Sohc question

Ok so i want to understand this our cars are SOHC single overhead cam which means one cam per head? and a DOHC is dual overhead cam which means 2 cams per head so does that mean our cars have 2 cams and hondas have four? I know it seems kinda slow and stupid but i know you guys can help me thanks
Old 12-20-2007, 10:27 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sohc question

a DOHC v6 honda has 4 cams if that is what you are asking
Old 12-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

SOHC like ours have one camshaft centered aboveeach head. The single cam on each side opens both the intake and exhaust valves using tapets. There is no lifters and pushrods with OHC engines, single or double. DOHC have two camshafts on each head with one just for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. Engines without OHC have a single cam that runs in the center of the block, lifters run on the cam and have pushrods that go to the rockers to open the valves. OHC design is more effecient than those without.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:15 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

SOHC like ours have one camshaft centered aboveeach head. The single cam on each side opens both the intake and exhaust valves using tapets. There is no lifters and pushrods with OHC engines, single or double. DOHC have two camshafts on each head with one just for exhaust valves and one for intake valves. Engines without OHC have a single cam that runs in the center of the block, lifters run on the cam and have pushrods that go to the rockers to open the valves. OHC design is more effecient than those without.
you described it well. this should be copy/pasted into some general info section.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

No, DOHC Honda inline motors still have 2 camshafts. DOHC and SOHC refer to the number of cams per cylinder bank.

If you want to see something weird, look at VW/Audi VR motors. Narrow angleV6, 4 valves pre cylinder but only 2 camshafts.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:08 PM
thedragon
1st Gear Member

Ok thanks a lot guys. I kept trying to understand but came up short because i didnt understand how the car ran off of more then one camshaft. Every time i tried to imagine it in my mind i saw an old school engine with one cam in the middle pushrods and rockers. How stuff works had a good picture but i just didnt get it lol. One more thing, i know now that the big difference of the old 4 liters and new 4's is ours is mod with tappets and such is there any bigger differences between pushrod and mod?
Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

No, DOHC Honda inline motors still have 2 camshafts. DOHC and SOHC refer to the number of cams per cylinder bank.

If you want to see something weird, look at VW/Audi VR motors. Narrow angleV6, 4 valves pre cylinder but only 2 camshafts.
fazm was talking about a 6er honda dohc having 2 per bank, four total. an inline four will have 2 because there is only one head.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:59 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

the biggest diff if I understood paul svinicki right between our 4.0L and the older 4.0L is the heads, and intake. Our cars have tumble heads and the intake manifold is almost too long.
I'm not swearing this is truth but it seems like thats what Paul told me.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:06 PM
xyster
2nd Gear Member

Looked this up... I became a little interested to see exactly what was going on myself

http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html

+1 for me pasting the google link and making the page a 50000x1024 page... :P
Old 12-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

^^^ great job posting this link. great visual animation.

Quick Reply: Sohc question