Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch makes strange noise from 1st to 2nd?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 03:25 PM
yodre

Default Clutch makes strange noise from 1st to 2nd?

I just bought my 07 a couple weeks ago. I notice that when I depress the clutch from 1st going in to 2nd it makes a "thunk" sound when the clutch goes down, more so when I do it quickly. Im wondering if this is normal or if I should have the dealer look at it. The sound had been there since I bought it.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch makes strange noise from 1st to 2nd?

Can't hurt to have it checked out
Old 12-25-2007, 05:59 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

If its the clutch wouldn't it make that noise everytime you push in the clutch? Doesn't sound right to me, Id get it looked at.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Stangrunner06
1st Gear Member

Warranty Bud!! If at any time you have concerns.... take it in!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:56 AM
jetking69

I have the same thing happen to me sometimes, and i believe its due to drivetrain slack? What you're doing is lifting off the throttle right before you depress the clutch. Experiment; try to delay lifting off the gas for a slight bit more than normal so your clutch is already starting to get pushed in before you let off the gas. This should smoothen things out. The 1-2 shift definitely is the one that has given me the most trouble.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:30 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jetking69

I have the same thing happen to me sometimes, and i believe its due to drivetrain slack? What you're doing is lifting off the throttle right before you depress the clutch. Experiment; try to delay lifting off the gas for a slight bit more than normal so your clutch is already starting to get pushed in before you let off the gas. This should smoothen things out. The 1-2 shift definitely is the one that has given me the most trouble.
i agree with you on most of this. I used to have that problem, but my driving style has changed since then and it went away. we have an EXTREMELY noisy transmission, always keep that in mind. If it gets to the point where you actually feel a difference or it is making the noise all the time, then i'd say take it in. hell take it in now under warranty, but i wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
yodre

Sounds like you guys are experiencing what I am. I took it to the dealer today. The dude said let it break in, my car only has 2,000 miles.

Jetking, the delay you talk about works, but I figured it might have been a problem, since it should not require "babying" the clutch like that, I just thought it might of been a defect of some kind but I guess not. The whole divetrain on these cars is very rigid/noisy, but I like it.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:31 PM
mattthecat
1st Gear Member

i still have the same problem with mine even with 6,000 miles. i will try the new delay on the gas. and ill ask about that next time i get my oil changed at ford. i heard awhile ago that it made that sound because of the type of clutch, and i new ford made horrible clutchs and tranny's so i expected it.

also i have a whining sound whenever im going in reverse. i thought it was natural since my 01 f150 did that but when the ford guy brought my car out he said it was unatural. and i didnt have time to stick around and have them check it out. has anyone else had that problem?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:46 AM
jetking69

yep, i got whining in reverse. not to mention gear chatter when accelerating, especially noticable in 4th gear. i asked my dealer about this; they merely replied it was normal. also, a lot of other guys here all have the same type on sounds on their t5's.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Take it to the dealer so they have the problem on record in case later on it is a problem.

I have also heard that the 2 piece drive shaft can make a clunk noise. After installing my
cold air intake/tune and hurst shifter, I find shifting much more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Clutch makes strange noise from 1st to 2nd?