Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine swap to a v8

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:11 PM
SNPR

Default Engine swap to a v8

ok guys i have a stock 2006 v6 mustang and i want a v8 in my car how mutch do you think everything would run for? Also i can get the engine and tranny for about 3500 from a gt take off but it dosent come with the computer... Any ideas?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:15 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Engine swap to a v8

i dont want to be the one to say just dont do it, but it's not worth the price. you would save yourself alot of money by just selling your car and looking for a gt with similar miles/options, cause lately they have been available for just a few grand more than 6ers slightly used. You need to think about how much is involved here. you can get the engine/tranny for 3500...then you need the 8.8" rear end, the gt driveshaft, the computer, the wiring harnesses, the new rear bumper for duals, the exhaust itself if it doesnt come with the exhaust, etc. With everything you are lookin at probably 5k+ then you need to include labor if you don't do it yourself. On the other hand, you could sell your car and pick up a gt for probably 3-4k more, it would be MUCH easier to sell in the future, it will be completely insured in an accident, etc.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Wether it's worth it or not is completly up to you. Just because someone else doesn't think it's worth it doesn't make it so. Yes it will be expensive but if that's what you want and can afford it then by all means go for it. I'm not really sure I'd include the cost of the exhaust system though. If you're thinking about a job like this then I find it hard to believe that you'd be sticking with the stock exhaust to begin with and would be modding that like everyone else ends up doing on these boards.

While you've got the engine pulled from the car then why not have some internal work done to it like heads and cam and stuff like that. If you're going to do it then do it right and go all out.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
poohflingr
2nd Gear Member

Why do an engine swap? All I hear about from my 6er buddies is how the V6 has a lot of potential and can be faster than the gt with the right mods. My unimportant opinion is that you can use the money for the swap for a turbo or charger.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 PM
Supercruzin
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poohflingr

Why do an engine swap? All I hear about from my 6er buddies is how the V6 has a lot of potential and can be faster than the gt with the right mods. My unimportant opinion is that you can use the money for the swap for a turbo or charger.
+1

Wouldn't it be cool to know you have a V6 that will smoke a stock GT.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 PM
PFC_Kurtz_John
2nd Gear Member

+1

Great post!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:01 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Hell even I agree with that!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM
mattthecat
1st Gear Member

just for my information but what do you have to change when you do an engine swap?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

wire harness engine compartment
cpu
motor
tranny
driveshaft
rearend
front brakes
rear sway
thicker front sway
gt airbox w/maf or CAI
gt fogs and wiring
driverside pipe
driverside muffler
cut bumper for duals
h or x and cats

these are just a few differances between the gt and 6 if you were to upgrade to be the same. so i would agree why unless you were going with the shelby motor like greg did and you could use the c4 trany that would not require electronics (we did one in montreal on deathrace and it worked great) about 4k . then you could do a custom hidden second pipe like greg at racers edge did. but he started with a flood damaged v6 and did most all of the work himself
Old 12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

if i was going to go as far as to swap the engine, it sure would be something bigger than the GT 4.6.......JMO. save ur cash for F/I if you want big performance.

Quick Reply: Engine swap to a v8