Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Next performance mod?

Old 01-10-2008, 09:41 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

Default Next performance mod?

Well i was looking into getting some show mods but i completely rethought it and ime going to get more go mods, i just dont know what, should i go with a new underdrive pulley or screamin demon and wires, headers, any thoughts guys would help! only eng. perf. for now, i might be starting to get into the suspension system next but i want every bolt on i can get first, engine wise, without f/i!
Old 01-11-2008, 07:00 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: Next performance mod?

Save up for rims/tires. It is a show & go mod. And well worth it.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

I'm with oddysey, try and lose some weight on your rear tires and you will gain HP to the ground and improve the looks. Light weight rims
Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

With your 4.10:1 gears, I would suggest that you consider buying a good aftermarket 1-piece aluminum driveshaft as your next mod. I'm not trying to feed the fire regarding exploding 4.0L driveshafts, but I wanted to make the following point. If the DS is factory rated to be good to 113mph with the stock 3.31:1 gears, then you have lowered you factory rating by adding the shorter 4.10:1 gears. I'll let the young college students here work out the math, but it'll drop from 113mph to something in the 90's (mph), if my memory serves. Knowing that when I'm at the track with my 4.10's I'd be trapping around 95mph,I installed a PowerHouse DS when my gears went in. No regrets!

Good tires are also an excellent performance mod. What's the point of creating add'l horsepower if you can't stick it to the ground? I bought a pair of 17x9" replica Bullitts from American Muscle, and mounted a pair of 275/50-17 M&H Racemaster drag radials. This past summer, I ran those on the street and at the track. They have a 28" diameter (which is good with 4.10's), and I used my SCT handheld tuner to adjust the speedo by changing the tire revs per mile. My 60' time dropped from 2.1xx to 1.93x with the DR's (still on the stock clutch too). And the DR's/wheels weigh less than the stock 17" Bullitts/Pirelli's too.

EDIT: You might also wanna consider a good set of Lower Control Arms (LCA's).
Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Contrary to what people are saying, light weight rims and good street tires may not be a good option for you. Your rims are already really light, probably about 20lbs. If you want to find a nice set of 18s that are lighter, you will be paying about $400 per rim.

IMO, the best thing to do up there is the underdrive pulley.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Best Gain for the value would be the aluminum driveshaft or an underdrive crank pulley. Both decrease rotational mass freeing up hp. Other than those, you may have traction problems, so rear lower control arms would be good if you have that. And tires would help a lot with traction. But if you want to upgrade, I would just go with GT Take-off bullits(rim and tires). They're $650 for the set of 4at v6mustangstuff.com, and that's what I'm doing before I go intercooled x inmay. They're cheap, and it's easy to find sticky drag radial or other types of tires if you want lots of traction compared to the stockers they come with. But the stockers aren't that bad at allfor all season tires. Other than that, you could get shorty headers, zabteck throttle body,or a performance tune from bama or another reputable shop if you haven't already. But the headers and throttle body n/aaren't the greatest bang for buck hp wise.And after that, the lowest bang for buck(and last hp bolt-on I can thinkof) would be the screamin demon coil pack and livewires. Boss has them, so they probably do something. Still want more go mods, non-hp, weight reduction things would be next:
-BMR Front sway/radiator support delete-$170-takes about 20-25lbs off the front end of the car and could decrease handling(but some people say you really don't need a front sway for handling b/c it already creates a lot of oversteer)
-American Muscle rear seat delete-$160 20lbs-if you only take out the cushions, but if you take out the belts, harnesses, and otherextra stuff, it can add up to almost 50lbs (this also cleans up the back and gives you a nice 2 seater look). That's pretty much all the cheap n/a mods you can do that I know of. After that if you want to stay n/a, heads and cam will cost you a few thousand.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:22 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yes but good rims and tires just look sexy and help performance wise. It may not be the best performance gain, but they look aweomse
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

Yes but good rims and tires just look sexy and help performance wise. It may not be the best performance gain, but they look aweomse
I tend to agree. I think my DR's add as much to my car's appearance as they do to it's performance.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

first, wheels for show (because you're usually driving to fluant the stang, not racing as soon as you leave the driveway), then a driveshaft as hop suggested. i wanted to get gears then headers but now realize that for the price of the headers, i should get the DS before headers since it improves drivability and reliability. good luck.