Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's some good motor oil for the V6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: What's some good motor oil for the V6?

Mobile 1, runs great.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

they make relaly good oil filters thats for sure
Yes they do fazm, as far as the oil question I run motorcraft sythetic blend in mine because thats what it came with. You can change to any you like with no problems as long as its the same weight and it has a service standard equal or above manufacturer's specifications.On customers vehicles I use motorcraft synthetic blend also because I get the best deal on it, usually if the customer has a preferance of which brand those are the customers that change the oil themselves or have the oilon handwhen they bring in the vehicle.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
cvz_finezt
2nd Gear Member

it doesnt matter wat oil u use. on a stock engine just make sure u change ur oil every 3k-5k miles. personally i use pennzoil 5w-30 and fram filters. the car has almost 40k on the tach, and no problems. just pick one and stick with it, thts the main thing.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

I like the Mobil 1, 5w-30 for us of course. In my 3.8 w/ Mobil 1 I changed the oil every 12k or so and she went over 290,000 before a head gasket brought her down. There was minimal sludge & bearing were very respectable for the mileage when I tore it down.
It isn't a bad idea to change just the filter if conditions are particulary dirty at the half way point. Use only quality filters: Motorcraft, AC Delco, Wix, Puralator, not a fan of Fram at all. There are some excellent studies on oil & filters on the web if you google around.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Victoria, since you live in Tx, bitter cold starts are not an issue so the Mobil 5000 conventional you are using is fine. So is Pennzoil, Castrol, or any other quality 5w30 oil for short drain intervals of 3-5K miles. Synthetic oil's high price is justified onlyin extended mileage drains, extreme climates orsevere service.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 AM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I use valvoline synpower but unless you race or drive like a maniac I wouldn't bother with anything stronger than a semi synthetic. Just change your oil at regular intervals and any quality oil you choose should be just fine.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: Wickerbill

what is wrong with motorcraft synthetic blend?? It is good enough for Ford and its good enough for me, cheap too. Im a mechanic and have never seen any oil cause a failure....sure lack of oil will but as far as the brand...nah. Just dont use the generic no name oil and you will be fine.
Wicker/Fazm, I agree with you both. They make great oil & filters and have for a long time. I would just stick with it.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Wickerbill
3rd Gear Member

not a fan of Fram at all

+ a million

Fram use to be thebestfilter until Wal-Mart and others came along. You go to a regular auto parts store, not a chain, and you cant even buy Fram filters. Fram started to make their filters dirt cheap so Wal Mart and the big chains could sell millions of them at a low price. Ever since then Fram filters have gone downhill bad, they will trap absolutely nothing and I have seen 3 engines blown due to Fram filters coming apart at the seams....litterally.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mikemc04gt

Victoria, since you live in Tx, bitter cold starts are not an issue so the Mobil 5000 conventional you are using is fine. So is Pennzoil, Castrol, or any other quality 5w30 oil for short drain intervals of 3-5K miles. Synthetic oil's high price is justified onlyin extended mileage drains, extreme climates orsevere service.

Couldn't disagree more. Have you considered the effects of extreme heat on the oil? I've never been to Texas but I understand it gets quite hot in most parts of the state.
Yeah cold starts are tough on the engine but an oil or block heater can help with that if you really don't want to use synthetics. Extreme heat is a lot harder to minimize. You could turn on the heater instead of the A/C I supose:-). Synthetics just don't breakdown in the heat like organic oils do.
Also, along with the extended oil changes don't forget the better gas mileage and increased horse power you'll get from the reduced frictional losses.
It's synthetics for me in the - engine, rear & tranny! I recommend it no matter where you live. The only exception is a motor that is burning or leaking oil.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:27 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

+1 for the royal purple, after you use that you wont use anything else!!

Quick Reply: What's some good motor oil for the V6?