Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Compliment from a GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:53 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Compliment from a GT

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

The new autos in these cars are very efficient as far as the shift points that gain better gas mileage than in past years. Still, a good drive with a manual can get better gas mileage and a better pull on a Auto IF they know how to drive. Driving a manual gives you the ability to shift at the right RPM for your gas mileage...like in my car (05 V6 w/ C&L CAI/Tune, wider tires, 18" wheels), my ideal shift point is between 2500 and 3500 rpm. My friend with a 06 V6 Auto gets worse gas mileage because riding with her, I've seen her car either shift at lower rpm (2000 rpm) than preferred and sometimes at higher (4000 rpm). It all depends...

ORIGINAL: BM83

Used to be autos didnt do as well as manuals but since all the high speed computers have come into play it is hard to beat a refined auto. by the way all my figures are done on paper. The computer reads about .5 mpg higher on both cars.
What I don't understand with mine is why am I getting worse fuel economy now than when I used to gun it all over the place... I mean, I drive slower now and am more careful about my speed than I was during the first 10k miles and my fuel economy is going down to 19.0mpg. I usually was at 19.8 - 20.1mpg before. There's absolutely no way a GT would give me these figures, I'm guessing 17.0 at most but with my luck I'd probably get 15.1. Shifting to pay attention to fuel economy would be a nightmare for me, I'm too picky about stuff when I put my mind to it. With my old 64 vw bug I just slam that thing around when I drive, it is pretty loud too...much louder than these guys with their dual flowmaster exhausts and stuff hahah
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amptor

The new autos in these cars are very efficient as far as the shift points that gain better gas mileage than in past years. Still, a good drive with a manual can get better gas mileage and a better pull on a Auto IF they know how to drive. Driving a manual gives you the ability to shift at the right RPM for your gas mileage...like in my car (05 V6 w/ C&L CAI/Tune, wider tires, 18" wheels), my ideal shift point is between 2500 and 3500 rpm. My friend with a 06 V6 Auto gets worse gas mileage because riding with her, I've seen her car either shift at lower rpm (2000 rpm) than preferred and sometimes at higher (4000 rpm). It all depends...

ORIGINAL: BM83

Used to be autos didnt do as well as manuals but since all the high speed computers have come into play it is hard to beat a refined auto. by the way all my figures are done on paper. The computer reads about .5 mpg higher on both cars.
What I don't understand with mine is why am I getting worse fuel economy now than when I used to gun it all over the place... I mean, I drive slower now and am more careful about my speed than I was during the first 10k miles and my fuel economy is going down to 19.0mpg. I usually was at 19.8 - 20.1mpg before. There's absolutely no way a GT would give me these figures, I'm guessing 17.0 at most but with my luck I'd probably get 15.1. Shifting to pay attention to fuel economy would be a nightmare for me, I'm too picky about stuff when I put my mind to it. With my old 64 vw bug I just slam that thing around when I drive, it is pretty loud too...much louder than these guys with their dual flowmaster exhausts and stuff hahah

To get the kind of mileage I post, you must be willing to go 55-60 mph, exclusively on the highway, NO city what-so-ever, use cruise control, and preferable no hills or headwinds. Now I have one heck of a hill to climb, but I have that same hill downhill on the way back home. I wouldn't get so wrapped up in fuel economy that you no longer enjoy your car. Enjoyment is why we bought these in the first place, MPG is a bonus to those of us that get it.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:03 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

To get the kind of mileage I post, you must be willing to go 55-60 mph, exclusively on the highway, NO city what-so-ever, use cruise control, and preferable no hills or headwinds. Now I have one heck of a hill to climb, but I have that same hill downhill on the way back home. I wouldn't get so wrapped up in fuel economy that you no longer enjoy your car. Enjoyment is why we bought these in the first place, MPG is a bonus to those of us that get it.
Yeah that's true but I drove over 500 miles at 55-65mph in 70mph zones and it wasn't as good as I thought it'd be, next time I do that I'll just drive 70. I'm finding in any Ford I drive, when I'm more careful about my speed I end up with more issues than before. Check engine light in my contour was coming on when I was trying to conserve fuel, ECM reported that the car had been in sub-zero conditions so it turned the light on. Come on, sub-zero near san francisco? gotta be kidding me. If this car drops to 18mpg now I'm going to be like what the hell?...
Old 02-15-2008, 05:04 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

I think real Mustang (or any car) enthusiasts are the ones that appreciate GTs and V6 Mustangs all the same. Guys I've met with GTs, ZO6 Corvettes, old muscle cars too, they've complimented me on my car quite often. Actually, they were usually of older age...say 30+. Younger folks with Mustangs now are pretty biased and competitive. You'll pass a GT driver on the road and if he's older, he'll smile, rev hello or give you a thumbs up/wave. You pass a GT driver who is a youngin', and they stick their nose up, give you a dirty look, or try to race you to prove they are better. We all know stock for stock, the GTs are better. And most of us want one at a time or two. Many of us settle because V6 is financially the best you can get for your hard earned dollar. Nonetheless, Mustang is a Mustang. If you love it, GT or V6, who cares what anyone else says or thinks. And if someone compliments it or appreciates it, be much abliged. I compliment GT drivers all the time on their sexy cars...and they return the favor
I live in southern ca and I see the exact same thing. and when it comes to why I had to buy my v6 its the same thing.. I could only afford to much but I definitly plan to buy a v6 in the future.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

What I don't understand with mine is why am I getting worse fuel economy now than when I used to gun it all over the place...
Depending on where you live, the gasoline you buy may be a factor on your decreased gas mileage. The oil companies reformulate gasoline in the winter, and mpg suffers.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:08 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

What I don't understand with mine is why am I getting worse fuel economy now than when I used to gun it all over the place...
Depending on where you live, the gasoline you buy may be a factor on your decreased gas mileage. The oil companies reformulate gasoline in the winter, and mpg suffers.
Are there any brands that DON'T reformulate for winter?

Can't break 28MPG on the straight and level.

Throw some VT hills and backroads in I'm lucky to get 25.

Of course we have a tad more rolling resistance too with the winter shoes.

http://www.putfile.com/pic/7187606

SOHC