Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

Default Cold Air Intake Questions

Hey guys,
I did some searching on this site and found that I either want
A. C&LWith the predator
B. Steeda But not sure where/what tune to get
C. K&N without a tune

I like the "Looks" and things I have heard about the C&L, but also while searching this forum have heard rumors of people saying that since it is made out of Aluminum instead of plastic (or whatever material theothers use) that it will allow the air to get hotter? Is there any truth to this?

Also I am looking to pay 450-550 so if any of you know the best and least expensive place to get these parts to who also make a good tune then pleaseshare.

Thanks you
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 PM
1badV6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cold Air Intake Questions

i got an airraid im looking to sell if ur interested for 200 it works great the othere brands ur just paying for the name number is 1-216-513-3480 u dont need a tune right away with it and its looks nice
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
PFC_Kurtz_John
2nd Gear Member

Here is a pic of my K&N but the tune did awsome things for my car
Old 01-17-2008, 12:40 AM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

I love K&N but what’s drawing me towards the C&L is that the MAF housing is 3.25" and the KN one is 3" which is the same as stock (correct me if i'm wrong.)

Also I have found that one of the sponsors of this site is selling the C&L for 600.00, but with the X2 tune and not the predator which C&L says should be used over everything. would this cause a big deal if I went with a different tune than the predator.

Sorry for all the stupid questions this is my first car that I have cared to add performance to, and I'm just learning along the way.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

I dont think it matters what you load the tune with but the tune itself that counts.
Different tuners give you different little options but they all pretty much do the same thing
Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 AM
noober
3rd Gear Member

There's a split down the middle in regards to bamachips vs brenspeed so consider those two. Now the type of filter can also matter... But that's not as important as the tune and TUNER.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cabbage

I love K&N but what’s drawing me towards the C&L is that the MAF housing is 3.25" and the KN one is 3" which is the same as stock (correct me if i'm wrong.)

Also I have found that one of the sponsors of this site is selling the C&L for 600.00, but with the X2 tune and not the predator which C&L says should be used over everything. would this cause a big deal if I went with a different tune than the predator.

Sorry for all the stupid questions this is my first car that I have cared to add performance to, and I'm just learning along the way.
i believe the k&n is 2.75" where the MAF goes (where the tube seems to bottleneck) and 3" the rest of the way. stock is 2.75" at the MAF housing section which means the k&n can run without a tune. as for which tuner you choose, i have the predator with my bamma tunes loaded and i have zero complaints on it. c&l is partnered with diablo to so new predator units or the updated software will have specialty tunes specific for the c&l along with the JLT, steeda and demolet. i love the user friendly interface and extra features on the predator but you will find that most tuner shops online primarily use sct. obviously there must be something in the sct software that tuners seem to favor. either way, you can't lose with whichever you choose. good luck.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

the K&N can run without a tune, but trust me...the tune makes all the difference. I have the K&N Typhoon intake with a tune and am very pleased with it.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:05 AM
mike07mustang

I bought one that was not as expensive as the K&N. I like the aluminum tube. It lets the air flow smoother and does not drag against the plastic or rubber. I dont think it gets any hotter.

If you are looking to get a tuner to go with any intake, I would get a Diablo tuner. They are very nice. I have a friend that had his 2004 tuned with one and it increased the horse and torque.

[IMG]local://upfiles/86603/BCAAFD421219428DA63D97645A11F903.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 AM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I went with the bbk cai but as far as the tune goes SCT may be a little harder to get started with than the Diablo depending on where you get it from. Some of the SCT tuners still havebad canned tuneson them when you first buy them but if you get a custom tune problem solved. I haven't heard of people having that problem with the Diablo.
Odds are all the internet tuning shops use SCT because of the Advantage 3 tuning software. It makes for a pretty serious and easy tunes.
If you look around I have heard of some cai & tune combos for the upper end of your price range though so keep looking and good luck

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake Questions