Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust install question

i just installed a standard 24" glasspack mid muffler with a 22" x 5" baffled tailpipe, still a single exhaust system with a faux left side pipe for the look of duals. it sounds 10x better than ANY dual exhaust setup ive heard on the 40s here in my area. very deep and muscular V8ish sound, no rattly ricer sound and it doesnt have that typical hissy noise. most casual observers wont know its a v6. for about $200 in parts and a days work im extremely happy with the end result.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Um...okay?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

unless your gonna build some serious hp a dual exhaust on these 40s doesnt give you any more gains than a freeflowing single exhaust.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:39 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, thanks for the scoop. Duals vs. singles isn't really the topic of this thread.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oi8achevy

unless your gonna build some serious hp a dual exhaust on these 40s doesnt give you any more gains than a freeflowing single exhaust.

maybe not, but having "fake" driver side pipes is just lame IMO
Old 01-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Good lord.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:32 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

if you heard how great mine sounds vs one with true duals you would be thinking differently, unless your a ricer and like a crappy sounding exhaust. the only way your going to know the left pipe isnt functional is if you see it from underneath while its on a lift. plus the weight of all the components together that ive istalled still weigh less than the stock muffler assembly. so i have a reduced weight advantage plus the performance gains of a free flowing exhaust.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 PM
JimC

ORIGINAL: Charlie321

Ah, that explains it. Since I'm only getting one midpipe, I guess I'll have to buy an extra set of clamps.

How high would you say on the jack stands?
I picked up my band clamps at the local NAPA store - the exhaust shop recommended just getting them from there and they were cheaper than going to the dealer's parts department.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Jim. Good plan.

Also, I got under the car earlier and tracked down that vibration dampener. Seems kind of odd having to lose that and having two mid pipes with no dampening. Has this caused any problems for anyone?

I'm just about ready to go on this install. Seems pretty straightforward. My only remaining concern is whether or not I can get the car high enough to slide in the new mid pipe.

Oh, BTW, anyone have a parts number on that driver's side mid pipe? I've got three Ford dealers less than ten minutes away, and their prices are almost always well above MSRP. I usually get my parts over the internet.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:02 AM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

so today I decided to go through with my true dual conversion... let me list some of the stuff I encountered in my 8 hour ordeal (it was my FIRST big project for this car guys....)

1. Jacking points - After reading a lot on other threads I decided to lift the front by the crossmember with the added support of a strip of 3/4" plywood (too help distribute the load across the crossmember). Once I got it to the desired height I lowered the front down a bit onto some spacers and sucessfully made a three point support in the front of the mustang. For the rear, I ignored the warnings in the manual and went ahead and jacked the car up by the differential housing, and lowered it back down on some safety stands once I got the desired height.
2. Lifting height - I played around with this is my head for a bit, taking into consideration that I had to clear the ground and have plenty of room to work. Now I'm not that big of a kid at 5'7" 135lbs, so I figured a 2 1/2 foot lift would be plenty. If you can get more, you'll want it.
3. Clearance - I had an issue getting the single midpipe off. I ended up dropping the driveshaft (which made a world of difference), but it's not something I would really recommend unless you know what your doing (just to be safe). I marked the DS before dropping it.
4. Fitment - Piecing the piping together wasn't bad, but once I placed the midpipes into the equation things didn't line up right. With a lot of muscle and tweaking I was able to get my JBA h-pipe lined up enought to place the band around the H-pipe (this might be where an x-pipe kicks butt).

However, in the end everything seemed to come out exceedingly well... I was expecting to have to cut and grind to make things work but I didn't end up having to do that.

Best off all now I have a nice true dual setup that sounds pretty BEEFY! If anyone is second-guessing this kind of stuff, don't wait any longer! I think in the long run you will be satisfied, because I know I sure am!

Quick Reply: Exhaust install question