Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 & GT AeroTurbines different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default V6 & GT AeroTurbines different?

I emailed MRT and asked them if there was a way I could purchase only the driver's side muffler for a dual exhaust conversion since I already have the passenger side. They emailed me this response:

To do dual exhaust on your V6 Mustang you will hve to buy the GT Axle-Back kit. The V6 passenger side muffler assy is different than the GT passenger side assy. The tip and hangers are in different locations to accomodate the different rear valance (facia).

Thanks

I don't know... to me this would mean that I would HAVE to get a GT bumper to use dual MRTs. That's something I don't want to do. And can they really be that different? I mean, it seems that other exhaust systems typically work on either the V6 or the GT. GT takeoffs seem to work fine for other Mustangs without modifications to the placement of hangers and the exhaust tips... I sense a bit of BS in this answer just so that I can pay them another $500 in addition to the $225 plus shipping I already paid on my single MRT last year. I mean, I can see them saying that they don't sell the driver's side muffler alone, but their answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Fallout
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: V6 & GT AeroTurbines different?

that doesnt make sense, sounds like BS to me to.

after i got the Gt bumper put on but before the exhaust, i was actually wondering if the V6 muffler lined up with the passenger side cut out, and it was a perfect match they are hung in the exact same spot its alittle dark but if you look closely at the pic you can see that it just about center in the cutout, which would lead me to beleive both the V6 and GT exhaust is in the same place on the passenger side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/82297/0CF0B60E38BD4758B42DBE4EA604ADD2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 AM
oshkoshbajawsh
I ♥ Acer

yeah im in a similar situation i have a single ford racing axle back and i want to go duals but i cant find a driver side axle back anywhere
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

I emailed MRT and asked them if there was a way I could purchase only the driver's side muffler for a dual exhaust conversion since I already have the passenger side. They emailed me this response:

To do dual exhaust on your V6 Mustang you will hve to buy the GT Axle-Back kit. The V6 passenger side muffler assy is different than the GT passenger side assy. The tip and hangers are in different locations to accomodate the different rear valance (facia).

Thanks

I don't know... to me this would mean that I would HAVE to get a GT bumper to use dual MRTs. That's something I don't want to do. And can they really be that different? I mean, it seems that other exhaust systems typically work on either the V6 or the GT. GT takeoffs seem to work fine for other Mustangs without modifications to the placement of hangers and the exhaust tips... I sense a bit of BS in this answer just so that I can pay them another $500 in addition to the $225 plus shipping I already paid on my single MRT last year. I mean, I can see them saying that they don't sell the driver's side muffler alone, but their answer doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
The GT AeroTurbines do in fact have a longer tip.. now... Orginally MRT was simply selling the passenger side of the GT kit as a "V6 version"... but due to the difference in the V6 bumper, the tip on the V6 ends up sticking out quite a bit.

Take a look at this picture... (i was the FIRST V6 customer to put the MRT AeroTurbine on... LOL)

see how far the tip sticks out? Does your tip stick out that far past the bumper? I believe MRT actually started building the "V6" version with the shorter tip... I'm just not sure when they switched... If in fact yours does stick out like that (which means it's what I call GT length) than the drivers side of the GT kit will work fine... if your tip doesn't stick out like that then it means your current MRT AeroTurbine is "V6" length and the new drivers side won't match.. and might look kind of funny....

Who ever said the hangers are different was incorrect....

Did the e-mail from MRT say who it was from? And let me know if you currently have the shorter V6 version or the longer GT version...
Old 01-23-2008, 03:15 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fallout

that doesnt make sense, sounds like BS to me to.

after i got the Gt bumper put on but before the exhaust, i was actually wondering if the V6 muffler lined up with the passenger side cut out, and it was a perfect match they are hung in the exact same spot its alittle dark but if you look closely at the pic you can see that it just about center in the cutout, which would lead me to beleive both the V6 and GT exhaust is in the same place on the passenger side.

[IMG]local://upfiles/82297/0CF0B60E38BD4758B42DBE4EA604ADD2.jpg[/IMG]
They are in the same place... just different lenght tips... GT facia has the extra ridge around the edge, so the GT version of the muffler has a longer tip to clear the fasica then the V6 version...

Old 01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
noober
3rd Gear Member

I rather enjoy the hyperextended tips. Makes the car look more muscle-ie.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

eh IMO the 1 huge pipe sticking out the back kinda looks importy...no offense, if its a nice tight fit, it'll look good, but protruding too much is bleh[:-]
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming
The GT AeroTurbines do in fact have a longer tip.. now... Orginally MRT was simply selling the passenger side of the GT kit as a "V6 version"... but due to the difference in the V6 bumper, the tip on the V6 ends up sticking out quite a bit.

Take a look at this picture... (i was the FIRST V6 customer to put the MRT AeroTurbine on... LOL)

see how far the tip sticks out? Does your tip stick out that far past the bumper? I believe MRT actually started building the "V6" version with the shorter tip... I'm just not sure when they switched... If in fact yours does stick out like that (which means it's what I call GT length) than the drivers side of the GT kit will work fine... if your tip doesn't stick out like that then it means your current MRT AeroTurbine is "V6" length and the new drivers side won't match.. and might look kind of funny....

Did the e-mail from MRT say who it was from? And let me know if you currently have the shorter V6 version or the longer GT version...
Interesting. I guess I have the GT version with the longer tip...

The email didn't say who it was from... it just ended with "thanks."
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

ORIGINAL: scrming

Interesting. I guess I have the GT version with the longer tip...

The email didn't say who it was from... it just ended with "thanks."
yep... looks like it... let me make a phone call...