Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

I Need a New Shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: I Need a New Shifter!

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

I am on my 3rd auto shifter because of this. The past 2 winters, my shifter got way too cold and froze or something, making that plastic piece break on 2 different occasions. This winter i have been lucky that it hasn't happened again. The 1st 2 shifter were covered under warranty though

If i remember correctly the auto shifter costs around $360. Just order it and install it yourself.

good luck!
Unbelievable.......you should use these forums to solicit those that have had this happen to PM you. Then, exchange emails and when confirmed legitimate, phone calls. Then you can send a certified letter to ford in detroit. One person breaks a shroud, ok, stuff happens, same person breaks it twice, he's heavy handed, multiple people break them......defect from manufacturer. There is strength in numbers. For you that already replaced them, maybe you'll get reimbursed. Keep pushing, the worst they can say is no but that will tick off many Ford customers and they need all they can get right now...be sure to express sympathy to the 20,000 + employees being let go

hmmm, quality issue, 20k layoffs, quality issue, 20 k layoffs, is there any correlation here; i think there is.

These forums can be more than how do i mod; it's an opportunity for us to pull together when there are legitimate issues and this shifter thing is definitely one.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:11 PM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

I am on my 3rd auto shifter because of this. The past 2 winters, my shifter got way too cold and froze or something, making that plastic piece break on 2 different occasions. This winter i have been lucky that it hasn't happened again. The 1st 2 shifter were covered under warranty though

If i remember correctly the auto shifter costs around $360. Just order it and install it yourself.

good luck!
Unbelievable.......you should use these forums to solicit those that have had this happen to PM you. Then, exchange emails and when confirmed legitimate, phone calls. Then you can send a certified letter to ford in detroit. One person breaks a shroud, ok, stuff happens, same person breaks it twice, he's heavy handed, multiple people break them......defect from manufacturer. There is strength in numbers. For you that already replaced them, maybe you'll get reimbursed. Keep pushing, the worst they can say is no but that will tick off many Ford customers and they need all they can get right now...be sure to express sympathy to the 20,000 + employees being let go

hmmm, quality issue, 20k layoffs, quality issue, 20 k layoffs, is there any correlation here; i think there is.

These forums can be more than how do i mod; it's an opportunity for us to pull together when there are legitimate issues and this shifter thing is definitely one.

um i dont have a problem with ford. Both of mine were replaced under warranty without a question asked. And my 3rd shifter has been subjected to negative twenty degree weather a few times this winter and it hasn't broken so it looks like ford fixed the problem.

and truth be told, i'm not a big fan of mustangforums.com... too many arguments and too many people running around throwing out false knowledge.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:49 PM
PistolPete
1st Gear Member

You both make good points. My Shifter broke after being out in the cold for a couple of nights with temps in the single digits. Based on this thread we have a case with City Hall here.
Any advice on where to start with Ford? I have owned a few Fords, and this is my first Brand New Ford and New Mustang, and I certainly don't think it's my last! They need to do me and the people having this problem, right. This part should not simply break on a cold day.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Pete, the first thing I would do is call ford in detroit and ask for a number to speak with someone in customer relations. MN Moose, I don't know what you have against the forums yet you post. I do hope if pete contacts you that you would help him in providing your details. Your items were fixed in warranty but what about the folks that have paid for the fix and it seems like a defect based upon what has been written. I have a stick and don't have this issue. But, reading posts, you have to feel for those that are experiencing the same problem and these forums are a good place to not only share and exchange ideas and knoweldge but to also band together when warranted.

good luck
Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 AM
MN Moose
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: torque_is_good

Pete, the first thing I would do is call ford in detroit and ask for a number to speak with someone in customer relations. MN Moose, I don't know what you have against the forums yet you post. I do hope if pete contacts you that you would help him in providing your details. Your items were fixed in warranty but what about the folks that have paid for the fix and it seems like a defect based upon what has been written. I have a stick and don't have this issue. But, reading posts, you have to feel for those that are experiencing the same problem and these forums are a good place to not only share and exchange ideas and knoweldge but to also band together when warranted.

good luck

Torque,if you read my other post then you would know why im not a big fan of MF.com.I dont post on here much unless things pertain to me, aka this thread. This thread however doesn't affect you because you don't even have an auto shifter. I see where you're coming from but it seems like all people do on MF is get there post count up and act like they know more than everyone else. Not saying you are.

There isn't much you can do, sure go ahead and call ford in detroit, that will do nothing. Take it up with the dealer you bought the car from, if they are half decent then they will cut you a break. Talk to the guys that sold you the car, not the guys in the garage.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:06 AM
monty21

the best thing u can do is just talk to the manager.... like what MN Moose said if theyre cool enough or if u make a good enough argument hed probably cut u a break...when i had my 06 (before i crashed it)....little things kept breaking and it was always teh same thing (ie the seat latch kept breaking, my driver side door handle would always stick out and so on) and i spoke the the main manager of teh dealership and i told him that i shouldnt have to come back all the time for the same problem that it should be fixed right there....and he was pretty cool he even gave me his personal cellphone and his personal truck as a courtesy car so i can do my errands while my car was beign fixed...so id defintley speak to the higher ups about it see if they can try and do soemthign about it