Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Is it worth tuning WITHOUT adding cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:55 PM
alsoknownazg
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Is it worth tuning WITHOUT adding cold air intake?

I ordered TUNE without CAI; So, I asked Justin about CAI and below is his answer.
[/align]
[/align]hi, you don't need cai, but it will help power.
[/align]
[/align]thanks,

LMFAO!!!!
gotta love customer service
Old 01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

i think if you have an auto you should definitely get a tune regardless of whether you are getting a CAI or not. A tune will add a noticeable difference in performance as well as throttle response.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Cabbage
1st Gear Member

You could get the Ford Racing CAI and not have any problems with Warranty.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

My research on a V6 auto, K&N drop-in filter, FRPP M-5230-GTA single axle-back shows:
b@m@chips torque and performance 91 octane tunes were good for a bit more than half a second
ET and a couple-three MPH at the eighth-mile drags.

The big improvement, if you don't bother to go to the track, is in driveability:
everything responds quicker, sensation of "power" is improved markedly.

MPG is about the same over the road, but lower overall because using the gas pedal is so much more rewarding.

If you want to learn about K&N and other air filters, there is a thread on Usenet Group
rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang where an authoritative-sounding person cites research articles that say it's likely not worth it.

As to the first question: definitely worth the tune, CAI or not. Look at bamachips dyno graph: I bet thhere isn't a nickle's worth of difference between the "middle" condition (tune, no CAI) and a K&N filter.

Here's mine:

Do you think the difference between 87 and 91 octane would account for the fact that mine (91 oct performance tunewith no CAI) is as good or better than the 87 wit CAI?
Thanks for the research and the graphs. It's much appreciated...
Old 01-28-2008, 11:46 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hataap

i think if you have an auto you should definitely get a tune regardless of whether you are getting a CAI or not. A tune will add a noticeable difference in performance as well as throttle response.
Yeah, I'm definitely getting a tune done, regardless of whether I install the CAI or not. Of course, after reading these posts, I'm leaning more towards just getting the CAI too...
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
tamazulense
2nd Gear Member

I DID THE BAMA CHIP WITH THE C&L INTAKE ON MY 08 AUTO AND ITS A TOTAL DIIFERENT CAR. THE RACE TUNE ON 91 IS THE ****. U SHOULD DO IT. THE INTAKE IS A MUST AND ON MY CAR IT WHISTLES WHICH SOUNDS PRETTY AWESOME. ITHOUGHT I HAD THE PIC OF THE INTAKE IN MY CAR BUT COULDNT FIND IT.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

That is all I need for my daily drive. That is why I order TUNE without CAI. Moreover, maybe I am wrong, I think that stock filter is more effective than re-usedable filter that goes with CAI.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 AM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tientran

That is all I need for my daily drive. That is why I order TUNE without CAI. Moreover, maybe I am wrong, I think that stock filter is more effective than re-usedable filter that goes with CAI.
more effective in what sense?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:20 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pony_car

Pretty straightforward question: Is it worth tuning engine without adding CAI? .

If that is the only thing you will consider doing; ABSOLUTELY. Of course as many have stated, a CAI/Tune combo is the way to go. Also, for your sixer, slap on an axle back even if it's a $50 GT take off; there is torque, HP and increased mpg waiting to be unleashed by getting rid of that V6 muffler.

cheers
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 AM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

I think that stock filters can block very tiny dust particles and CAI filters let them go through. Maybe I am wrong. I just think that and I have no experience about it.

ORIGINAL: tientran

more effective in what sense?

Quick Reply: Is it worth tuning WITHOUT adding cold air intake?