Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

Yep.

Best times listed for those mentioned,oh and nav to be fair

Navbtscret 2006 Mustang Coupe X-S/C 282.0 1.780 8.270@80.51 13.038@103.95

Scrmin 05 Mustang V6 Coupe S/C 313.0 1.866 8.475@89.46 12.845@107.12

hamidlmt 2005 4.0L Mustang S/C 317.4 2.099 8.612@83.26 13.383@102.84
[/quote]
Thanks for posting the times, I was too lazy to do that. lol.

Droptop is without question a beast almost hitting 12's in a convertible with hisvortech w/only 12psi.

Just to reference these #'s, check the 60'. They tell the story of why vortech's are faster (just to explain to people). With street tires (hamidlmt) it is very hard to get low 60' and quicker 1/4 times.For example, if hamidlmt used drag radials, he would easily be in the 12's and afair guess would put him in the 12.7's. To show this, scrmin and navbtscrt used drag radial's cutting their 60's. To be fair, if scrmin and navbtscrt both had the same 60' times, scrmin would be about a whole 1/2 second quicker than navbtscrt. But then again, navbtscrt isn't your ordinary x-charged car and I can't find scrmin's mods at the time, so if you could that would be great. Just to tell you nav's mods: (1/4 mods highlighted)
X-Charger HiPo Kit with the 2.8 Pulley
93 Octane Tune by Bamachips
LCA's
Adjustable Panhard Bar
Adjustable Upper Control Arm
Powerhouse Aluminum Driveshaft and Safety loop
Custom 3" Single Exhaust
JBA Shorties
DR's For The Track
Line Lock
Water/Meth Injection Wet X Kit
Supernatural Performance 2800 Stall Converter
Zabtek Throttle Body
8.8 Rear End With 3.90 Gears
Dynojet Wideband Commander
Autometer Boost Gage
As you can see, it's not your average x and it's not even into 12's. If an x this modded can't hit 12's, yet almost any vortech h/o4.0w/drag radial's, gears, and t-lokis good for high 12'seasily(not counting horrible/inexperienced driver and track issues). This shows clearly that thevortech h/okitmakes your car faster and has more capablilities(potential) than ax-charger hi-po kit. Thanks for the help and sorry for calling you names before, I can be anass sometimes. [&o]
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

ORIGINAL: dmhines

X-Charger Looks better ... Sounds Better ... and is easier on the engine.
True (to some people), true (to some people), FALSE.

How is it easier on the engine?
1) Makes more boost at lower RPM...more time in boost, meaning more pressure and heat
2) Non cooled.....MUCH more heat
3) Roots run hotter than centris.....heat again

If you want to argue with me on point 1 saying something along the lines of "it is boost and RPMs that hurt, not just boost"...here is my rebuttal...
Boost does hurt, just not as much as boost at high RPMs. Sure the centris and turbos need to get into the higher RPMs to boost, so the time in boost is hard on the engine. However, the roots chargers still go to those high RPM levels. It is not like they chill in low RPMs with high boost when racing. The only time that you are really seeing those extra psi's are during the first split seconds of the race, and when you are driving on the street. Boosting means heating also...which is also not a very great thing for the engine. More boost on the street = more heat on the street. Sure there is the BPV, but anybody with a gauge knows that it will open up pretty easily. The BPV is not like a WOT switch with nitrous (as many people with X's seem to believe). As I said earlier, you see the higher boost for the few extra split seconds, and that is great for a race car.

And everybody, please dont confuse what I am saying as a Vortech vs X statement, it is just a centri vs roots (the older style, now they have those cool 4 lobe designs) statement.

ORIGINAL: pat6674u

Nobody said anything about X-Chargers being better than Centri's. Several X owners have merely pointed out reliability related facts surrounding Eaton S/Cs.
Are you sure nobody says crap about roots being better than centris? Because that quote I have above sure looks like it. I am okay with the first two points, because most people tend to like the look and sound of root/screw blowers, but it is the 3rd statement which has no backing that upsets me.

Somebody also mentioned price...
Vortech Supercharger Kit with Aftercooler for 2005-2006 Ford Mustang with 4.0L V6 (V-2 SQ-Trim, satin)
SuperchargersOnline.com*: $4,149.00

Vortech Supercharger Kit for 2005-2006 Ford Mustang with 4.0L V6 (V-2 SQ-Trim, satin)
SuperchargersOnline.com*: $3,299.00

(Those are the full kits, tuner, injects, etc)

X-CHARGER 05-07 Mustang 4.0 SOHC HI-PO with tuner
Price: $4,295.95

X-CHARGER 05-07 Mustang 4.0 SOHC CA spec with tuner
Price: $3,995.95

The cheap Vortech make 260rwhp at 8psi on my auto. Only a JBA muffler. Also, a lot of people running the higher numbers with the X are spraying meth...that was done with no means of cooling at all.

I just realized, the Aftercooler Vortech is cheaper than the Xcharger!! LOL
Listen, I'm not tryin to pick a fight with you, I'm merely trying to explain the selling features of the X-charger as they were explained to me. Not every decision on my mustang isbased onRWHP. The X-charger is a new piece of equipment that yes, probably is more expensive than a vortech. I would ask you though, did your centri s/c not just crap out on you? I'm pretty sure I read a post about Black Mamba's vortech having reliability issues as well. Whn I did my research I looked at the reliability of eaton s/c's vs. centri s/c and found that most manufacturers and mustang owners prefer the roots style eaton blower. It just so happens the x-charger is the only one available for our cars. It just so happens that there at least 4 X-chargers on the road with 15,000 miles+ on them without a wiff of an issue. Yes, eaton blowers tend to be more expensive but with the group buy (which involved something like 20 owners) the price became doable. There are my facts and my car with the basic cali spec set-up did 270rwhp on the dyno, with the potential to do more. I look forward to the further developments of the X-charger and I plan on promoting the product as much as possible because Dave is a great guy, he has developed an innovative product for the V6 and has gone out of his way to back up his product to the V6 community. Like I said, open and honest debate is always welcomed, just don't say my toy is overpriced if you don't have one of your own and probably have never seen either S/C in person to truly comprehend what the hell you are talking about (Steel).
Old 02-02-2008, 10:35 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Yep.

Best times listed for those mentioned,oh and nav to be fair

Navbtscret 2006 Mustang Coupe X-S/C 282.0 1.780 8.270@80.51 13.038@103.95

Scrmin 05 Mustang V6 Coupe S/C 313.0 1.866 8.475@89.46 12.845@107.12

hamidlmt 2005 4.0L Mustang S/C 317.4 2.099 8.612@83.26 13.383@102.84
Thanks for posting the times, I was too lazy to do that. lol.

Droptop is without question a beast almost hitting 12's in a convertible with hisvortech w/only 12psi.

Just to reference these #'s, check the 60'. They tell the story of why vortech's are faster (just to explain to people). With street tires (hamidlmt) it is very hard to get low 60' and quicker 1/4 times.For example, if hamidlmt used drag radials, he would easily be in the 12's and afair guess would put him in the 12.7's. To show this, scrmin and navbtscrt used drag radial's cutting their 60's. To be fair, if scrmin and navbtscrt both had the same 60' times, scrmin would be about a whole 1/2 second quicker than navbtscrt. But then again, navbtscrt isn't your ordinary x-charged car and I can't find scrmin's mods at the time, so if you could that would be great. Just to tell you nav's mods: (1/4 mods highlighted)
X-Charger HiPo Kit with the 2.8 Pulley
93 Octane Tune by Bamachips
LCA's
Adjustable Panhard Bar
Adjustable Upper Control Arm
Powerhouse Aluminum Driveshaft and Safety loop
Custom 3" Single Exhaust
JBA Shorties
DR's For The Track
Line Lock
Water/Meth Injection Wet X Kit
Supernatural Performance 2800 Stall Converter
Zabtek Throttle Body
8.8 Rear End With 3.90 Gears
Dynojet Wideband Commander
Autometer Boost Gage
As you can see, it's not your average x and it's not even into 12's. If an x this modded can't hit 12's, yet almost any vortech h/o4.0w/drag radial's, gears, and t-lokis good for high 12'seasily(not counting horrible/inexperienced driver and track issues). This shows clearly that thevortech h/okitmakes your car faster and has more capablilities(potential) than ax-charger hi-po kit. Thanks for the help and sorry for calling you names before, I can be anass sometimes. [&o]
[/quote]

If your F***** goal is to hit 12's buy a Vortech. I thought this thread was roots or centri not "How can I hit 12's in my Stang". You're a joke.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Bandit111
2nd Gear Member

Why!Do you miss the point?People don't buy the X to be the Fastest,but some people push it to the max what they can?I don't know how many times that has been said by others than myself.You want to argue over maybe a few 10'ths?That's what kills me and you have NO investment yet.Buy a vortech,race it,get back to meI can always sell my slow x-charger...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Listen, I'm not tryin to pick a fight with you, I'm merely trying to explain the selling features of the X-charger as they were explained to me. Not every decision on my mustang isbased onRWHP. The X-charger is a new piece of equipment that yes, probably is more expensive than a vortech. I would ask you though, did your centri s/c not just crap out on you? I'm pretty sure I read a post about Black Mamba's vortech having reliability issues as well. Whn I did my research I looked at the reliability of eaton s/c's vs. centri s/c and found that most manufacturers and mustang owners prefer the roots style eaton blower. It just so happens the x-charger is the only one available for our cars. It just so happens that there at least 4 X-chargers on the road with 15,000 miles+ on them without a wiff of an issue. Yes, eaton blowers tend to be more expensive but with the group buy (which involved something like 20 owners) the price became doable. There are my facts and my car with the basic cali spec set-up did 270rwhp on the dyno, with the potential to do more. I look forward to the further developments of the X-charger and I plan on promoting the product as much as possible because Dave is a great guy, he has developed an innovative product for the V6 and has gone out of his way to back up his product to the V6 community. Like I said, open and honest debate is always welcomed, just don't say my toy is overpriced if you don't have one of your own and probably have never seen either S/C in person to truly comprehend what the hell you are talking about (Steel).
Did I not tell you I have test driven a centri numerous times and researched thesesuperchargersover the past 4 months? I will be getting my vortech in may with somegoodiesandmy car will beasmodded as it possibly can thanfor a daily driver. You right that I haven'tdriven a roots though, only read up a lot on them and seendyno graphs.

Reliability wise, vortech's are nearthe top with their product's. It just so happens thatthey had a small batch of superchargersthat had malfunctionsaround the time that mamba bought his and chrisc's new project with a different intercooler could have caused his problem. Check out 4.0 collective and see how many perfectly operatingvortech4.0 cars there.It's agoodnumber huh? And then go talk to some people in the boost, juice section here and readsome of their posts about vortech's. Top of the line they'll tell yeah. Can't go wrong with one. They talk aboutvortech's there like you talk about x's here. All I wanted to do was tell peopleanother option in the same price range w/some #'s, track times, and concerns. I did do it in a very harsh way(I think it's all the constant support of x-charger withouta glance of vortech info in everyf/i thread I see that did it). Sorry again about the harsh word's. Yourtoy is nice and so is every one else's x. If I were in your shoes at thetime though I would have obviouslygonevortech for the numerous reasons posted. Sorry about the trouble again, I will just post the info and try not to get into verbal conflict next time a thread like this pops up.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

If your F***** goal is to hit 12's buy a Vortech. I thought this thread was roots or centri not "How can I hit 12's in my Stang". You're a joke.
That wasn't the only point!!!! I posted that to explain how much faster vortech's are and why. That was just one of the point's that I was explained to show details on(engine wear, engineheat, high boost unintercooled, etc.)Your a joke for bringing it up! If you read the couple posts before it, you would have seen why I posted that!! [>:]
Old 02-02-2008, 10:51 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

FYI ... The Boost ByPass on the Eaton is controlled by Engine Vacuum ... which in turn is controlled not only by throttle but engine load as well. I can easily drive to work (12 miles of highway) at 70 MPH and NEVER EVER go into Boost from my Driveway to work parking lot ( I have a boost gauge). I have never really tested it but if there is no load on the engine you can get very high up in the RPM's without ever hitting boost.

So for me ... The ONLY time I go into boost if I am driving aggressively ... standard day to day commuting and I never go into boost. I have no idea if the same thing happens on Centri S/C's but for me this indicates my X-Charger is being easier on the engine.

I know Boost PSI does kick in quickly at Low RPM's once the bypass closes ... so if I am accelerating I will also downshift ... I personally try to never go into Boost below approx 3K RPM to prevent extended amounts of torque on the drivetrain.

Granted ... as it has been mentioned a million times ... If I was Drag Racing I would want something intercooled.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc

How is it easier on the engine?
1) Makes more boost at lower RPM...more time in boost, meaning more pressure and heat
2) Non cooled.....MUCH more heat
3) Roots run hotter than centris.....heat again
Well OK... lets talk about all the incorrect facts out there, including ones made by centri people.

1. The boost levels in the X are 6-7 PSI. Not an issue in terms of wear. And lets see, most people buy centris so they can keep the RPM's down and stay out of boost to save their engine. No... they're all running up to 5000 RPM all the time to get their boost. Again, why do manufacturers, who are obsessed with creating cars that won't lead to massive warranty issues always using roots and not centris, and especially since you showed us that centris are cheaper??? Proof is in the pudding. Can you tell me any major car manufacturer who uses a centri supercharger for a mass produced boosted vehichle? Oh let me guess, no, they all use roots because they suck so much and cost more.

2. Much more heat? Do you have any idea how hot the cylinder isAFTER combustion? How about well over 1000 degrees and approaching 2000 in some cases. And the XCharger is running MUCH HOTTER because it's inlet air is 40 degrees warmer? The hotter air just means you retard a little timing, which ACTUALLY DECREASES the amount of combustion going on in the engine vs. a cooled centri with is allowing more combustion to occur, and hence is hotter and under more pressure. An intercooled centri running at 7 psi will be HOTTER IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBERthan an XCharger running at 7 PSI because the X has retarded the timing. WHICH MAKES MORE POWER AT 7 PSI, AN INTERCOOLED CENTRI OR AN X ????? SO WHICH IS HOTTER AND UNDER MORE PRESSURE??? BINGO !! You win a prize.... the intercooled centri, at any equivalent boost, is allowing more combustion, making more HP and creating more heat and stress. God damn. Does logic ever come into play here.

3. Lets see, item two says the X is much hotter. Item 3 says the roots runs hotter.... ahhh.... that's a bit redundant I believe.

4. I thought of a 4th you could use "The X is hotter therefore much more stressful".
Old 02-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

FYI ... The Boost ByPass on the Eaton is controlled by Engine Vacuum ... which in turn is controlled not only by throttle but engine load as well. I can easily drive to work (12 miles of highway) at 70 MPH and NEVER EVER go into Boost from my Driveway to work parking lot ( I have a boost gauge). I have never really tested it but if there is no load on the engine you can get very high up in the RPM's without ever hitting boost.

So for me ... The ONLY time I go into boost if I am driving aggressively ... standard day to day commuting and I never go into boost. I have no idea if the same thing happens on Centri S/C's but for me this indicates my X-Charger is being easier on the engine.

I know Boost PSI does kick in quickly at Low RPM's once the bypass closes ... so if I am accelerating I will also downshift ... I personally try to never go into Boost below approx 3K RPM to prevent extended amounts of torque on the drivetrain.

Granted ... as it has been mentioned a million times ... If I was Drag Racing I would want something intercooled.
I knew that genius, and yes the centri has a very similar system too. It's the highboost kicking in at low rpm's(when you hit it)thatwouldshow great wear that makes the x on paper show a lot. And again just for you:
Roots not easier on engine b/c:
1. Higher boost whenyou hit through agreater range of rpm
2. Higher inlet temps from no intercooler and moderatelyhigh boost
3. Runs hotter than centri's (gives off more heat to the engine)

One more post and I'm going to bed
Old 02-02-2008, 11:03 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

I'm a big x fan but I'll be the first to say it's a little hyped on here...FOR EASE OF INSTALL.

It is hyped for looks as well but people need to take opinions with a grain of salt.

If the OP wants an s/c setup and wants pure power centri's have an ic out all ready and are a little better priced even in my opinion. So they will give a little more power but the blower unit itself seems (meerly opinion again) to break more often. I hear about it constantly. I'm not talking just 1 or 2 types on the 4.0L I'm talking at the local strip any types I find.

If the OP wants max boost without redlining the engine the x is obviously better because The centri keeps making more boost till you lift,shift, or blow. I have friends with eaton powered s/ced cars and all have enjoyed them and not once have I heard of the blowers themselves actually breaking. I have heard of alot of them throwing belts but those are high horsepower applications well beyond the 4.0 capabilities.

As far as the price arguement yes the centri is cheaper but very difficult to install and its recommended that you have a pro install it. Thats an expensive install. The x is more expensive but with the manual and some mechanical skill can be done by anyone. So if you want to compare prices take that into consideration too but if you'll have either system installed professionally I'm guessing the x is cheaper to have installed but not by enough to make up for the price difference.

Anyone wanting to argue looks? Both with money can be color matched, polished, satin, blacked, or any way you want. That meens either can be made into a dead sexy show car.

Quick Reply: s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal