MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/401241-s-c-dilemma-roots-or-centrifugal.html)

joeymustang 02-01-2008 11:16 AM

s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

i know that this is a complete opinionated post, but I have a few questions.

Our cars have very good torque down low, but feel that they need more power up top of the rpm range, where the centrifugal is at best. But many of the 4.0 owners who have gone the s/c way are with x-chargers or similar root type blowers.

I wonder, since peak numbers are just BS talk and what really matter is the area under the curve, which of the two types better works this way on our cars?

Black Mamba GTT 02-01-2008 11:29 AM

RE: s/c dilemma...roots or centrifugal

Um not sureI got the vortech and it works pretty good. I would love to race someone with an X to see how I do!!!:)

ODDYSEY 02-01-2008 11:31 AM

Mamba what kind of number are you pulling? And what other mods to the engine have you done? I am looking at the vortech so im curious on what to expect.

Trmachuno 02-01-2008 11:34 AM

Main question is, What do you want your car to be? Street low-end beast? Great Track performer? Both?

Black Mamba GTT 02-01-2008 11:35 AM

;)Well I have 10lbs of boost and I believe a pretty conservative tune cause it's my DD. I have 275rwhpand that is in 3rd gear cause I don't feel i am in need of going over 115. So it's probably around 280 on a mustang dyno 300 perhaps on a dyno jet. The curve is very linear so that is awesome I am just building more and more boost through the rpm range and I love looking at it on my gauge:D You can see my mods on that thread How much should I sell the mamba. Which i am not doing by the way;). But I love it cause it builds no boost until 2500 rpms and i drives normal and I save gas!!!

Trmachuno 02-01-2008 11:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Black Mamba GTT

;)Well I have 10lbs of boost and I believe a pretty conservative tune cause it's my DD. I have 275rwhpand that is in 3rd gear cause I don't feel i am in need of going over 115. So it's probably around 280 on a mustang dyno 300 perhaps on a dyno jet. The curve is very linear so that is awesome I am just building more and more boost through the rpm range and I love looking at it on my gauge:D You can see my mods on that thread How much should I sell the mamba. Which i am not doing by the way;). But I love it cause it builds no boost until 2500 rpms and i drives normal and I save gas!!!
Slowly building boost is better for your cars longjevity(sp?) too. Think roots has9-11psi boostfrom 2k rpm- 5.8k rpm. Centri 9-11psi only at redline and lower boost linearly throughout (say guessing, 5/6psi at 3krpm). If you plan on keeping your car 80-85k+ miles and not wanting a rebuild I'd suggest a centri.

joeymustang 02-01-2008 11:42 AM

ORIGINAL: SteelStang05

Main question is, What do you want your car to be? Street low-end beast? Great Track performer? Both?
actually, I'm just informing myself before I take a giant leap like buying a s/c. I want just to have fun with the car, mayb some 280-290 at the wheels

Trmachuno 02-01-2008 11:51 AM

A h/o x-charger will do that ($4.2k) w/a 2.8" pulley, an intercooled vortech will make over 300rwhp($4.2k) if your not running wheels bigger than 18's and those 18's aren'theavy.They willrun similar track #'s, but Ihave seen afew4.0's w/ the intercooled vortech's in high tomid 12's and never saw any X's below 13's. Butif all your concerned it 0-50mph power, the x could be better. 0-100 power, I'd go vortech. For sound, vortechhas a nice whistle (I think similar to a Jet/airplane) and theX is a different machine like sound. Youtube for vid's. I personally would go w/the intercooledvotechfor reliability b/c it's cooled (lower inlet temps)and theboost isn'ton 100% when you hit it beyond 2krpm. Just my 2 cents. Good luck if you decide to go f/i!

pat6674u 02-01-2008 12:34 PM

Most Manufacturers use roots style blowers, including the GT500 and Roush products. The X-charger is basically constructed along these same lines. This was one of the main reasons I went with the X. The low-end Torque is excellent as well with the X. Looks really good under the hood too.

beaustang 02-02-2008 12:59 AM

And I wouldn't listen to the opinions of anyone who does not have a blown 4.0. Some of the sh!t I read by some people makes me laugh, where do these guys come up with this stuff?LOL