Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Talkin bout the tunes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:54 PM
metalmat

Default Talkin bout the tunes

Since I have decided to keep my V6 instead of trading it for a GT (saving up for a house down payment) I would like to get a tune for my 05 Vert V6 Automatic bad boy. Which tunes I should get? I have been looking at bama tunes and also breen speed.I already have a K&N CAI in my car. I remember seeing that one company had an 87 octane mileage tune, anyone familiar with this one? I would certainly have that and the 91/93 octane performance as the 2nd.

Also, if you are running 87 octane gas do you need to make sure it is almost empty before putting 91+ octane in?

Is that expected 20-30 hp increase at the wheels?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Riceistasty

Default RE: Talkin bout the tunes

alternativeauto.com is pretty good with the auto's, but you cant really go wrong either way. when switching octanes i would probably at least wait til you are on empty otherwise it will average a lower octane. im running the 89 tune and it helps out a bit, idk about 30wrhp with just a tune though...
[align=left] [/align]
Old 02-01-2008, 10:57 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

vmptuning.com with 91/93 mileage(27-29 mpg on my car)for the highway and 91/93 performance for the rest of the time. Get either of the 87 tunes for a back up third tune. The 93 tune with his cai intake and a performance muffler should be good for 25 HP(according to Justins dyno)at the wheels. Truth or fiction? I don't know,but it sure feels real good! Plus that DANGEROUS automatic transmission lag is gone. Responce is great. You will love it! This should be every V6 automatic Mustang owners FIRST mod.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
YellowFlame
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my first mustang

vmptuning.com with 91/93 mileage(27-29 mpg on my car)for the highway and 91/93 performance for the rest of the time. Get either of the 87 tunes for a back up third tune. The 93 tune with his cai intake and a performance muffler should be good for 25 HP(according to Justins dyno)at the wheels. Truth or fiction? I don't know,but it sure feels real good! Plus that DANGEROUS automatic transmission lag is gone. Responce is great. You will love it! This should be every V6 automatic Mustang owners FIRST mod.
Considering this myself (VMP tuner/CAI package)
Curious - with the price of gas why would you run premium? I would think your "normal" mode would be 87. Pros/cons?
Input on what really happens with mpg would be appreciated too.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

Curious - with the price of gas why would you run premium? I would think your "normal" mode would be 87. Pros/cons?
If you run premium at $3.20 per gallon for lets say 15 gallons over 87 octane at $2.90 the difference in price is a lower percentage of the cost for the tankful than when it used to cost half as much. The raw cost difference for the 15 gallons ($4.50) is only 10%...the increase in mileage with a 91 or 93 octane over an 87 octane is about 30 miles per 15 gallons in my experience. thats about a gallon at $3.20 so the net cost difference, give or take, to run a tank of premium over 87 octane is only $1.30....well worth the extra punch and smoother running engine.

I hope that makes sense....
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: billybix76

If you run premium at $3.20 per gallon for lets say 15 gallons over 87 octane at $2.90 the difference in price is a lower percentage of the cost for the tankful than when it used to cost half as much. The raw cost difference for the 15 gallons ($4.50) is only 10%...the increase in mileage with a 91 or 93 octane over an 87 octane is about 30 miles per 15 gallons in my experience. thats about a gallon at $3.20 so the net cost difference, give or take, to run a tank of premium over 87 octane is only $1.30....well worth the extra punch and smoother running engine.

I hope that makes sense....
That's a good explaination. Even if the difference in mpg between 87 & 93 was zero, the improvement in performance still only costs $4.50/tank. Is it worth the extra money for the bump in performance? I think so, but conversely I'm running an 87 tune right now cuz my track is closed and the weather is cruddy. Once the weather improves and the local tracks are open, I'll go back to the 93 tune.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
billybix76
2nd Gear Member

but conversely I'm running an 87 tune right now cuz my track is closed and the weather is cruddy. Once the weather improves and the local tracks are open, I'll go back to the 93 tune.
Me too! funny how that works...
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

if ur thinking economy ALL the time with your stang, then performance modding should be of no concern. if you want to make your 4.0 a performer, a premium octane tune is a must mod. we spend more than $5 on crap everyweek anyways. might as well spend it on a good cause for a great experience.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I'm confused here. So if you decide to use a different octane, do you need a tune for it to run at an optimum level? I'm running 89 on my 6er, automatic btw.... Is a tune really necessary?
Old 02-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: So_Cali

I'm confused here. So if you decide to use a different octane, do you need a tune for it to run at an optimum level? I'm running 89 on my 6er, automatic btw.... Is a tune really necessary?
its not necessary and you can continue doing it but the appropriate tune will take full adavantage of the higher octane. you're basically wasting those extra cents per gallon if your car is still tuned for 87. On the other hand, if your car is tuned to recieve 91+, using 87 can be hazardous to your ride.

Quick Reply: Talkin bout the tunes