Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

a few quick questions for the X Men/Gals

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:28 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default a few quick questions for the X Men/Gals

Toying with the idea of slapping an X-Charger on this summer. (I know, you're probably thinking here's another kid that is gunna change his mind in a week) Just been weighing positives and negatives of going GT, turbo, or X. I like the X for:
Ease of install - brother (diesel mechanic so he knows how to turn a wrench) and I could install in the shop this summer
Factory-like clean OEM looks
Keep V6 insurance rates
Keep V6 gas mileage
Be even quicker than a GT for less money
wanted V8 sound, but FRPP duals on the sixsound pretty damn good I think.

So...on to my questions.

Do you run one step colder plugs? If so, which ones? What would be the benefits of this?
Ihave roughly 50K on my car, it isn't too late to go FI is it?
Is the hi-po setup with the 2.8 pulley reliable for a DD?
Would it be wise to wait for the intercooler? I mean is it gunna cost more to buy it later rather than buying as a kit?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a few quick questions for the X Men/Gals

Never too late, a lot of 5.0's on here have gone f/i after 100k and I see them running strong till over 150k miles easily. Just don't beat on the car. You beat on a car it needs a rebuild early f/i or not.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

Toying with the idea of slapping an X-Charger on this summer. (I know, you're probably thinking here's another kid that is gunna change his mind in a week) Just been weighing positives and negatives of going GT, turbo, or X. I like the X for:
Ease of install - brother (diesel mechanic so he knows how to turn a wrench) and I could install in the shop this summer
Factory-like clean OEM looks
Keep V6 insurance rates
Keep V6 gas mileage
Be even quicker than a GT for less money
wanted V8 sound, but FRPP duals on the sixsound pretty damn good I think.

So...on to my questions.

Do you run one step colder plugs? If so, which ones? What would be the benefits of this?
Would it be wise to wait for the intercooler? I mean is it gunna cost more to buy it later rather than buying as a kit?

Thanks in advance
We did change the plugs during installation but I honestly don't remember what they were. Everything I've read suggests that as long as your engine is in good shape (no head-gasket leaks, etc.) going FI is fine. I don't have the Hi-po set-up but the cali kit is a great daily drive. Instant power and sounds great at WOT. PM someone like Nav, he has the 2.8 pulley.
As far as the IC set-up, I would have to believe that Dave would sell this to current X-Charger owners for whatever it would cost additionally with a kit anyways. Basically, unless you hear solid intell on when this is coming out just get the X and install the IC later when it comes out, especially since it sounds like you can do the install on your own with a little help.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

So...on to my questions.

The X-Charger kit comes with new plugs. Slightly colder plugs provide extra insurance against detonation.

Not at all.

I've been running it on the street without any trouble, as have many other "X" owners

There might be a small discount as a package, but if it were me, I'd rather be up and running rather than waiting for the cooler to save $50 or $100

Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I have roughly 50K on my car, it isn't too late to go FI is it?
you are still good for sure

yep, even on the strip it should have no issues. you may not want to run it on a road course though. 10psi and no cooling for 20+ minutes will be quite stressful on the car. When I start bringing my car to road courses, I will probably just run 6psi. I am assuming it is easier to swap the pulley on the X, so that is something you might want to keep in mind.

Cant say for sure. However, it is probably worth the wait. It would be no surprise to me at all if the system with the cooler would be cheaper than buying them separately.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chrisc
Cant say for sure. However, it is probably worth the wait. It would be no surprise to me at all if the system with the cooler would be cheaper than buying them separately.
I assume we have yet to hear an estimated time of arrivalon the intercooler? wasn't navbtcret the test mule for that?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I first heard the intercooler was coming in a couple months in early january, then I heard later the month, it's looking the earliest May/June, latest July/August. Just what I heard from an X guy with inside info.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ugh, that would be unfortunate if they didn't have it available by the start of the summer.

It'd be interesting for someone to pair the SSM Stage 2+ heads with the X-Charger and get a dyno tune. If anybody wants to donate $1200 i'd be glad to sacrifice my car, in the name of automotive science...