Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
1badV6
2nd Gear Member

Default tuning question

im thinking of getting my car tuned on the dyno this sati got jba headers airraid intake and pypes mid muffler system a couple ppl said that it can cause harm to ur motor cuz its running lean or leaner then it should is this true and are tunes really worth it???
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default RE: tuning question

Ya running just about any aftermarket intake on our cars should be tuned. There are a few exceptions...i think AFE makes an intake that doesn't need a tune...nevertheless, if you got the money for a dyno tune, go for it, that's even better than a tune you could get off the net.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

airraid doesnt need a tune either. i think aFe would a need a tune more than airraid would
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Really? cuz the guy i bought my tuner from already had tunes for an airraid intake for the 4.0 on the xcal2
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i will still get a tune to get more out of the car....you can probably pick up 10-20 ponies with a tune for the headers and CAI....either from a mail order tune or dyno, either way is worth it
Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: basketballord

Really? cuz the guy i bought my tuner from already had tunes for an airraid intake for the 4.0 on the xcal2
doug made me tunes for my old AEM brute force and that sure didnt need a tune to work. the tune just takes advantage of the much less restricted air filter assembly. i think the only time a specific tune is needed is when the MAF housing size is different from stock.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
1badV6
2nd Gear Member

see my dilema is if its worth the 600 for the tune and if im really gonna notice a difference and if i dont tune it is the motor running lean or leaner and will adventually hurt the motor?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

For that much money you could by a C&L CAI and xcal tuner from brenspeed.

If you don't have a handheld tuner already.

If you do have a handheld tuner, I would just order a tune online at one of the big vendors. It will be like $75 bucks..maybe a little more due to your mods.

ORIGINAL: 1badV6

see my dilema is if its worth the 600 for the tune and if im really gonna notice a difference and if i dont tune it is the motor running lean or leaner and will adventually hurt the motor?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1badV6

if you're comparing factory stock tune w/ airaid intake VS. custom tune w/ airaid intake, then you WILL notice a significant difference with the custom tune. with your intake, tune is not required but a good tune will take FULL advantage of the higher flow of air. VMP sells custom XCAL 2's for $399. not only do you get a programmer but you get it custom tune loaded from a quality tuning shop which is much better than the programmer's default tunes. with the mods you got now, i think a custom tuner is your next step. YOU WONT REGRET IT!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Just to let you know you won't see much from headers NA. Youwill if you go F/I though. By that way what kind did you get? And you engine will be fine if you just used the tune that came with it. But I don't think it is worth spending 350+ to get just a few more horses and then tune it again when you do more mods. But it is all up to you and what you want you car to be in the end. Trust me.

Quick Reply: tuning question