Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?

ORIGINAL: powerband

Pony_car,

My first few cars did not have anti-lock brakes or traction control. Two were very heavy cars, one of which was a Buick Grand National whose sole purpose was to accumulate overwhelming momentum. Though not as fast as today's cars from 0-60, they still achieved high speed and great velocity, the condition in which braking and traction are crucial. Not once did I have an accident in those cars. And that was living in Virginia, a state that had weather and 4 months of rain or snow. No anti-lock brakes, no problem, ever. No amount of safety features can replace common sense and driving sensibility.

The first cars that offered anti-lock brakes were targeted for wet-weather or slippery weather driving. How brilliant it was to also market this as an overall safety feature for added profit. I live in Northern California now and it doesn't snow in my area, other than a few months of rain. Having owned, driven, and lived through several cars that offered no safety features in my younger days, I don't feel the eminent need for electronic nannies. I can pump the brakes to avoid a lock-up, for f***k's sake. Those are things we did before "technology for the lazy" took over.

Good luck with your decision.

I sort of feel the same way you do, which makes me lean towards not adding the option. I feel I drive pretty safetly, and though I know that doesn't influence how others drive, I still feel like I'm good at avoiding accidents, for what that's worth. Also, like I said earlier, I know the car I've driven for thelast several years doesn't have ABS or Traction Control, and it's never been an issue. Although, I guess it only takes one instance for that to change...

The funny thing is, it's not so much a matter of cost. IfI'm spending somewhere around $20,000 on a car, I guess I can spend an extra $1,000 or so for the added safety. It's just that I hate spending that much for something I'm not sureI reallyneed or will ever actually use. Of course, I could say the same thing about airbags, but I don't want to get rid of those.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 AM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Why else would Ford be willing to omit ABS but not the others?
Just wanted to add that some of those in the list are required by law for making a vehicle now-a-days. I'm sure Ford would of gutted them out if they could of. More money for them.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Mine has that damn anti-theft active alarm and it still got broken into without sounding the alarm. Go figure.

Anyway, yes, those options are worth it. The traction control and ABS certainly come in handy in wet road conditions. My car has slid several times and the traction control always catches it before I can even react. You can turn these options off at will, so it doesn't hurt to have them. If anything, it can help save your life in some circumstances.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:10 AM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tmsmith

Why else would Ford be willing to omit ABS but not the others?
Just wanted to add that some of those in the list are required by law for making a vehicle now-a-days. I'm sure Ford would of gutted them out if they could of. More money for them.

tmsmith, you're probably right. But in today's competitive market it's doubtful Ford would make the decision to delete airbags. Additionally, the statistics on airbags saving lives are overwhelming as compared to those saved from ABS. Again, Im not making a case against ABS; rather, I'm exploring possible reasons why some cars today don't offer this braking system and yet are still popular.

Another factor to consider is that Ford Mustangs have 5-star crash ratings in front and side impact, as well as roll-over prevention. Of course, it hasn't escaped me that an accident can be caused by numerous variables beyond our driving skill, road diligence or electronic nannies, but it's a peace of mind to know that the final line of defense - protection of occupants against the actual impact - has the highest rating.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
defiance777
2nd Gear Member

If you don't have tration control can you install it yourself.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

You can turn these options off at will, so it doesn't hurt to have them. If anything, it can help save your life in some circumstances.
Is there a button inside the car where you can turn it off and on? Is the button for ABS and Traction Control? If that's true, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info...
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 PM
stelliform

I had a drunk pull right in front of me on Mardi Gras. I slammed on the brakes and swerved to miss them, and I was blown away at how good my Mustang with ABS handled it.

Also traction control is nice. It kicks on for me at least twice a month. Usually it is a wet road and I overestimate how much I can accelerate. Sometimes TC kicks on when I hit a pothole while I am accelerating. (I live in Louisiana, so potholes and wet roads are the norm.)

Anyway, I am making sure my next Mustang has the Safety and Security Package.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

It will lower your insurance in most cases.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MrSandman

It will lower your insurance in most cases.
That's a point I never considered. Thanks for mentioning that...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Not woth it to me. I paid a lot for the extra anti theft in my GT but I never leave the car out of my sight when I'm out with it. Other than that its always locked up in my garage.

Quick Reply: Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?