Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?

Simple question: Is it worth it to purchase the Safety and Security Package for the V6 I intend to buy?

Here's what the package adds to the V6:
--Anti-lock brake system
--Traction Control
--Active Anti-Theft System
--Wheel-lock kit

What I'm most concerned about are the ABS and Traction Control, which seem almost standard on any other car on the market. I don't even know what the other two things are.

I was shopping around last night for cars with this option, but most dealers in my area don't order there Mustangs with it, so I'd probably have tospecial order it, if that's what I really wanted. The price of the package, I think, is $1000.

Details: I live in Los Angeles, where it rarely rains. Also, I don't intend to drive it too hard, considering I want it to be my daily driver and last a long time. So, I'm not sure how worth it ABS and Traction Control really are. The car I drive now doesn't have ABS, Traction Control, or 4-wheel disk brakes, for that matter. Also, I'm going with the Pony Package, so I'll have 17s instead of 16s, which means slightly more tire on the road. Lastly, how many here have Mustangs without this package? How many with? Thanks again...
Old 02-09-2008, 06:57 PM
CTSTANG

Default RE: Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?

i have it, it's definitely nice to have the abs and traction control for that extra safety
Old 02-09-2008, 07:10 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Mine has it.

Usually a dealer can find it for you and they will trade that dealer to get it, to make the sale. If its close enough, it doesn't tact on another 100+ bucks for transportation.

It really depends on if the extra safety is worth your money. Honestly, I wish it came standard on them, because like you said, most cars now have ABS. It also depends on your driving. If you brake hard, then you may want to look into getting it for the ABS. TC comes in nice when it is raining. Of course, you said it doesn't rain much where you are.

I would recommend it. Especially when automobile crashes rank near number 1 in deaths per year.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:38 PM
stoneblue
2nd Gear Member

Fond some stuff on google
wheel locks are just 1 lug on each wheel with a lug key to match.
Ford'sSecuriLockTM engine immobilizer, which uses a transponder chip located in each key.
Thesystem requires the correct code in the key's transponder chip before authorizing the powertrain controller to start the engine.
active anti-theft packagehas an inclination sensor designed to detect changes in the car's angle after it has been parked. If the sensor detects the angle has changed, it will sound the vehicle's alarm. An ultrasonic intrusion sensor monitors motion inside the vehicle cabin to detect window breakage during "smash-and-grab" thefts.
In addition to the "smash-and-grab" ultrasonic interior motion detector, perimeter sensors are designed to detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed and sound the alarm if a would-be thief tries to open the door or get under the hood.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

ABS and Traction Control are a must have on a Mustang and are not just bad weather options. In an emergency you need every advantage you can get.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:00 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

Pony_car,

My first few cars did not have anti-lock brakes or traction control. Two were very heavy cars, one of which was a Buick Grand National whose sole purpose was to accumulate overwhelming momentum. Though not as fast as today's cars from 0-60, they still achieved high speed and great velocity, the condition in which braking and traction are crucial. Not once did I have an accident in those cars. And that was living in Virginia, a state that had weather and 4 months of rain or snow. No anti-lock brakes, no problem, ever. No amount of safety features can replace common sense and driving sensibility.

The first cars that offered anti-lock brakes were targeted for wet-weather or slippery weather driving. How brilliant it was to also market this as an overall safety feature for added profit. I live in Northern California now and it doesn't snow in my area, other than a few months of rain. Having owned, driven, and lived through several cars that offered no safety features in my younger days, I don't feel the eminent need for electronic nannies. I can pump the brakes to avoid a lock-up, for f***k's sake. Those are things we did before "technology for the lazy" took over.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

You can't...

1. React to a lockup as quickly as ABS can
2. Pump the four brakes INDIVIDUALLY as each wheel locks up and unlocks
3. Pump the brakes as quickly, or even nearly as quickly

In the day? Well, why not give up air bags, crumble zones, stability control, steel belted radials, three point safety belts, safety glass and more.

ABS may be for the lazy, but omitting it remains for the stupid.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:34 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

LX200,

I hear you. But nothing is black and white. Most things are by degrees. And the degrees of importance in air bags, crumble zones, belted radials and seat belts are far higher than ABS. Why else would Ford be willing to omit ABS but not the others?

I am not making a case against ABS, as I'd rather have it than not. I am making a case for sensible, defensive and safe driving.

And, there is no need for personal attacks by you toward those who bought their Mustangs without ABS. There are many of us.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

If you have the choice to get it, do it. It is added safety, it only takes 1 time for it to pay for itself. I didn't have a choice when I bought my stang, but if I did, I would have gotten it.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stoneblue

Fond some stuff on google
wheel locks are just 1 lug on each wheel with a lug key to match.
Ford'sSecuriLockTM engine immobilizer, which uses a transponder chip located in each key.
Thesystem requires the correct code in the key's transponder chip before authorizing the powertrain controller to start the engine.
active anti-theft packagehas an inclination sensor designed to detect changes in the car's angle after it has been parked. If the sensor detects the angle has changed, it will sound the vehicle's alarm. An ultrasonic intrusion sensor monitors motion inside the vehicle cabin to detect window breakage during "smash-and-grab" thefts.
In addition to the "smash-and-grab" ultrasonic interior motion detector, perimeter sensors are designed to detect the opening of the hood, doors or trunk when the anti-theft system is armed and sound the alarm if a would-be thief tries to open the door or get under the hood.
Thanks for the research. So, by adding the Security Package, you get an alram installed onto the car, or do I have that wrong? Is it an audible alarm, like the kind that wake the whole neighborhoodup in the middle of the night, or a silent alarm like the LoJack system?

Quick Reply: Safety and Security Package: Worth it or not?