Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

how does a 3.5L have more HP than a 4L?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

Default RE: how does a 3.5L have more HP than a 4L?

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

Gidyupgo... I could see it going in the ranger at some point, it is a strong engine.

frankmarino.... look at all the talk with the epa, gas mileage standards etc. I can see them putting a 3.5 in the stang, and if they stick true to the article I think Sandy or Sally posted about the V8 getting a boost and them doing twin turbo V6.. who is to say it wont be a twin turbo 3.5L? Man you add twin turbo to a 265 HP motor, your talking 365+ HP which is a nice jump for the GT.
You're not referring to a twin turbo replacing the sixxer, are you? I assume you mean the sixxer would get the N/A 3.5 and the GT would get the twin turbo...Which wouldn't be a terrible idea, but I don't think I could deal with the concept of Mustangs not being available in V8 form, it just doesn't feel right to me...haha...I'm not Ford though, so my opinion means zero. But it still doesn't solve the problem of the N/A 3.5 being loads more expensive than the truck engines we have in our sixxers. If they had one single engine across their whole line of cars, I'm sure costs could be cut drastically, so who knows, our worlds could be turned upside down.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I don't know. Now I'm confused. The other day on the home page, there was an article that said Ford and other makers would need to do away with the V8 because of encreasing gas regs. I can't see a twin screw going into a Ranger, but maybe a GT. That or we may find out just how capable the 4.6 is at making 35 mpg with a little tweeking.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:09 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Here is some more information. It seems during the design process of the "Cyclone" engine or better known as the Duratec35, they added desgins for future changes to the engine so it could push up to 4.0L which is planned to be used in the 2009 Mustang.

The 4.0L version along with some other changes is capable of up to 300hp. I wonder if that means they plan on putting it as the V6 base or GT V6 option with twin turbo's? Or both?!

Here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cyclone_engine
Old 02-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

basically, V6 will get the 3.5 cyclone and the GT will keep the V8 but with some major tweeking to accomodate the fuel consumption. Although all these points made in this thread are good ones, you cant ignore the fact that the Mustang IS NOT an "economy car" and the "V8" engine is the heart of the mustang name. we take pride in our sixers (i love mine lots by the way) but when we talk about legendary stangs of the past, i think we usually refer to the V8 engines. i think ford knows that. JMO.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:11 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

no no.. the article basically said the duratec 35 is the base engine and they have tweaks/addons to take it up to 4.0L and possibly turbo/supercharged.

Which means they may use the base model duratec for the 6ers and put an upgraded duratec with twin screws as the GT model.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

no no.. the article basically said the duratec 35 is the base engine and they have tweaks/addons to take it up to 4.0L and possibly turbo/supercharged.

Which means they may use the base model duratec for the 6ers and put an upgraded duratec with twin screws as the GT model.
still doubt they would drop the V8 for the GT. JMO........unless they only use V8's for special models, shelby's, etc.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:45 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You haven't been reading all the articles bud. They may not have any choice unless they bust out some magic economic V8. As the magic eightball says... "all signs point to yes"
Old 02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

haha....i've read plenty bud and thats why i put "JMO" in my posts. nothing is set in stone until the cars actually come rolling out the factory. That goes for any product.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Well I would hate to see the V8 go away, but I do feel they should find someway to increase the gas mileage on them. I think the biggest offenders are the trucks, I sold my 06 F150 after a year because of gas mileage 13-14 mpg
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Well I would hate to see the V8 go away, but I do feel they should find someway to increase the gas mileage on them. I think the biggest offenders are the trucks, I sold my 06 F150 after a year because of gas mileage 13-14 mpg
maybe you should have installed a throttle body spacer. those things increase gas mileage a sh*t load. my ranger gets 37mpg's after i installed mine.....haha. at least the thing is a pretty red color [&:].

Quick Reply: how does a 3.5L have more HP than a 4L?