Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

need supercharger opinions asap

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
vistastang

Default need supercharger opinions asap

I'm probably buying a supercharger in the next couple days------Which one????
just give me your opinion as to which unit you would buy & it will really help.
X charger 3800.00 installs on top of engine(no tuner but I already have one)
vortech 3300.00 installs in front part of engine (has tuner included)
Which is easier to install, which is more dependable & which give the most gains in power? THANK YOU for any help/advice, I appreciate it.[/align]
Old 02-18-2008, 09:33 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: need supercharger opinions asap

I have neither but I want an X-Charger. It is supposedly and by the instruction manuals easier to install.
As for your question about power The Vortech will give alot more power but the downsides in my opinion are, under the hood looks packed full of piping and you have to drill and weld the oil pan for the oil return/feed line.(It's only one line I just don't remember if it feed's or returns the oil from the unit.)
The X gives you less power by a noticable amount but when you install it it almost looks like Ford meant for it to be there IMO and there is absolutely no welding what so ever.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

I went with the X ...no regrets

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

The looks of all that piping alone in the vortech makes me shake my head no at it. I know it has more power and it is cheaper, but I would still find it hard to chose it over the xcharger roots system. Ease of instal definately goes to the Xcharger, and I hear that off the line it really throws you back in your seat.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

I went with the X ...no regrets

Engine bay is looking really sweet there....

That was a big part of my decision to go with the "X" it looks awesome and doesn't leave the underhood area looking like a boiler room.

Other plus's low RPM torque, outstanding reliability on the blower, and that sound....I floor it sometimes just to hear that wail.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:04 PM
moonstang
2nd Gear Member

Power from the x-charger and the non-intercooled vortech are probably going to be similar. You are going to be spending close to $4200 to get the intercooled vortech. There are some pretty valid arguments for both systems. You have to look at your goals. I am looking at the x-charger because of 1 - ease of instalation and 2 - quality and safety of the available canned tunes. If I decide I just have to have more power then I will probably look at something like forced4's Torque Twister turbo.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I happily gave up the extra Centrifical ponies to have a sweeter looking engine compartment with the X ....

Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 AM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

We better watch out boys or this will turn into another thread where the X Bashers come out. X-Charger was the best choice I've made for my car.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:16 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

lookin at the X engine bays just amaze me how much room there is in there. i forget sometimes since i have no room in mine lol
Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Very important to know what you want from your car. If you are looking to be a track junkie, you need an intercooled centri or a turbo to get to absolute lowest times. If you are modding the car to make it a street beast (where you will rarely hit 105 MPH), then the X will make you happy. I very rarely go over 70 MPH, and do lots of driving on the back roads. The X is awesome in this application. Of course, a turbo would work well to. Just have to know what you are really trying to accomplish.

Quick Reply: need supercharger opinions asap