Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Does changing muffler really void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:06 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Does changing muffler really void warranty?

I suppose they could refuse to do any warranty work on your EXHAUST. But no, it does not void your warranty. All Stealerships are different though. My dealer says all Mustangs should have dual exhaust anyway, and he could care less about my duals. I recently took mine in for a brake squeak and left the 87 performace tune installed.Of course if I was taking it in for engine work, I would reflash to stock.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Chupac I NEED TO KNOW WHERE YOU GET YOUR CAR WASHED tell me tell me tell me dang man
Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

i bought my car used from a dealership. it had CAI and magnaflows that the owner put on privately. Dealer said I still have over a year left on the warranty. Of course they're putting that out there that because they want to get me to buy the car, but it goes to show you how its BS if they're denying you for doing an axel back. If anything, a CAI would cause more concern because it affects whats going into the engine instead of whats going out. But even that, they didn't care.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

The people at the dealership can play all kinds of hardball because a) they are (stupid enough to be) convinced they are right, b) the customer usually doesn't know nay better, and c) even if the customer does know better, he/she usually doesn't feel like they have any real recourse. But the simple fact is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 makes it illegal for them to deny warranty work because of a modification unless they can prove the modification was the cause of the damage to the car. I'm a big fan of K&N for this reason. Part of their warranty for their drop-in filters and CAIs includes protection for the the consumer against any dealership that tries to deny warranty service on the basis of one of K&N's products being installed on a warranted car.

Long story short, install that muffler. Don't sweat it.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Charlie321

The people at the dealership can play all kinds of hardball because a) they are (stupid enough to be) convinced they are right, b) the customer usually doesn't know nay better, and c) even if the customer does know better, he/she usually doesn't feel like they have any real recourse. But the simple fact is the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975 makes it illegal for them to deny warranty work because of a modification unless they can prove the modification was the cause of the damage to the car. I'm a big fan of K&N for this reason. Part of their warranty for their drop-in filters and CAIs includes protection for the the consumer against any dealership that tries to deny warranty service on the basis of one of K&N's products being installed on a warranted car.

Long story short, install that muffler. Don't sweat it.
Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and install the part anyway... Like I said before, I think the guy was just towing the company line by saying what he thought he should say.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Got a call today from the manager of the service shop at my local Ford dealer. I called him last week to get an answer from him directly regarding my question about the muffler voiding the warranty. He said that changing the muffler DOES NOT void the warranty, as long as the work is from the cat back. He said once you start messing withthe catalytic converter, then you startvoiding all kinds of warranty policies. Anyway, at least I've got a difinitive answer to that question...