Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

K&N Air Filter

Old 02-23-2008, 01:57 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Default K&N Air Filter

We have had discussions in the past about the K&N drop-in air filter. I decided to try one on my V6 and I noticed a small
improvement inthrottle response. I'm not ready to go with a CAI andtune yet. If I am going to spend thatkind of money,
I will put it toward fixing up some stuff on my '66 Galaxie. For the money, I amhappy with the drop-in filter.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: K&N Air Filter

have you noticed a slight increase in gas mileage at all? say around +1mpg or so...lol
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

If you don't mind me asking mpatilla, how much did it run ya?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:10 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I immediately noticed .8 mpg increase.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 PM
mpatilla
2nd Gear Member

Including tax it was $50 at O'Reilly's.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mpatilla

Including tax it was $50 at O'Reilly's.

Not bad. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:26 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

Im glad its working for ya.

I had a different experience. I ran the K&N filter for 3000 miles, and it did absolutely nothing, and i mean nothing. Did I mention NOTHING! Except make my wallet ighter.

I pulled it out and added a C&L intake/evolution 93 octane tune, now the car slings sideways when gunning it from a stop, no kidding. If you noticed a difference in the K&N, you will LOVE a tune/intake combo. And to those who are thinking about the K&N, save your money and apply it to a CAI. If you still want to buy the K&N, then mine is for sale... 20 bucks and its yours.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

I just popped one in today and noticed a significant change. When I put on my GT takeoff a few months ago, I noticed a slight drop in low end torque, but the sound and the increase in acceleration at higher speeds made the tradeoff worth it. Now, with the K&N, I got back all the low end, and then some. It really balances out the GT muffler and makes the car speedier on take off. On a stock v6, I imagine the more restrictive muffler might diminish any advantage to having the K&N filter.

Oh, and I bought it at Amazon.com for 25 dollars! So even if it had done nothing, it would still pay for itself in the money saved not having to replace the air filter.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 PM
hataap
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

If you noticed a difference in the K&N, you will LOVE a tune/intake combo.
+1

Initially I had the K&N drop-in but then decided to try out a CAI/Tune combo and definitely made a huge difference. But for those who aren't gonna get a CAI and are looking for an easy mod--where you get an air filter that lasts a lifetime and ~+1mpg--I would recommend the drop-in.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hataap

ORIGINAL: jdphillips73

If you noticed a difference in the K&N, you will LOVE a tune/intake combo.
+1

Initially I had the K&N drop-in but then decided to try out a CAI/Tune combo and definitely made a huge difference. But for those who aren't gonna get a CAI and are looking for an easy mod--where you get an air filter that lasts a lifetime and ~+1mpg--I would recommend the drop-in.
Yeah, that's me. I might get a computer tune on it at some point, but I'm not going to hassle with a CAI, especially if I have to keep the stock air box around for smog checks. It's more of a daily driver.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter