Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A few questions re/ the Powerhouse411 Turbo system.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:07 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default A few questions re/ the Powerhouse411 Turbo system.

Pretty basic questions fellas, I appreciate your responses in advance!

After reading the kick *** success Rygen has had with a turbo, I've decided for certain on going with the Turbo system from Powerhouse. I like the concept of less stress on the engine since it's powered by the exhaust and better effiency per PSI. A Supercharger would be cool for the fact that boost is throughout the RPM range, but power starting at 2500 rpm's is just fine with me, It'll boost when I need it, and normal when cruising. Now that I've made my decision I can't freakin' wait!
BTW, this will NEVER see a track, it's merely for daily driving, and having more fun while driving around. And for safety!! A turbo'd car saved my life about 2 years ago, when a big rig was about to crush me into a highway wall divider, I punched the gas and boosted right out of a life or death situation!

Once I hit about 5K in commision + tax returns, I'd like to take some vacation time and install the system.

1) Is 320hp to the wheels a safe number? It is my daily driver, so I don't want too much stress on the engine, I drive about 70% highway 30% around town.
2) If I take my time, over lets say 2 or 3 days, Is an at home careful installation reasonable? I don't have TOO much automotive experience, but I've changed many parts over the years on my various cars. And I do understand the functioning of the engine fairly well.
3) Powerhouse has 2 intercooled models for the v6. The intercooled WITH tuner is $5,195.00 and includes 39PPH fuel injectors, and a 91 tune. The intercooled turbo without tune is $4,795.00, will it at least include a basic tune I can upload into my XCal2, or will I have to have it dynoed? (If I install it at home, how the hell am I gonna drive it to get dynoed with no tune?) Does it include the fuel injectors as well?
4) They have a non-intercooled kit as well for $3,995.00. Would that be a sufficient system to run, or would the intercooled be much more reliable? I live in Southern Cali, so it does get hot in the summer, sometimes up to above 110 degrees often for 2-3 weeks at a time. The weather through about 10 months of the year is typically mild to warm (anywhere from 65-90 degrees on average)
Old 02-28-2008, 02:04 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A few questions re/ the Powerhouse411 Turbo system.

4.) they discontinued the non-intercooled version. at least that was their reply when i e-mailed them about it a few months ago.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

1. Yes
2. If you take your time over 3 days, should be no problem. Lay out all the parts ahead of time so you know the path the tubing is taking. Will also help to have a friend.
3. Go with the complete kit, with the injectors, tune and XCAL2, the first option. I don't recall if the tuner kit comes with injectors. I went with the first kit. Call them, if you have an XCAL2 they might discount it slightly.
4. DOn't bother with non-intercooled kit

Old 02-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

1. Yes
2. If you take your time over 3 days, should be no problem. Lay out all the parts ahead of time so you know the path the tubing is taking. Will also help to have a friend.
3. Go with the complete kit, with the injectors, tune and XCAL2, the first option. I don't recall if the tuner kit comes with injectors. I went with the first kit. Call them, if you have an XCAL2 they might discount it slightly.
4. DOn't bother with non-intercooled kit

Thanks Rygen, sounds good. I do plan to bring the car to a friends house so we can complete the install with both of us working on it. And he's a mechanic for the city fleet vehicles as well, mostly Fords and Chevys.

I'll call about the kit with the tuner and injectors to see if they can discount the price of the package sans the tuner. Thanks again.