Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone try Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:52 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone try Drifting

I'm still trying to figure out when or where the O/P asked for personal opinions on the simple yes/no question
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

ohhhh sick burn lol
Old 04-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: danbevsv6rumbler

I'm still trying to figure out when or where the O/P asked for personal opinions on the simple yes/no question
Topicssuch as this tend to have lots of implied questions behind them, even if unintentionally. I don't think there's much argument that the competition-interest side of this whole site is more drag-racing orientedthan anything else (or maybe everything else combined). IOW, it's going to be difficult to start discussions going in a completely new direction without first having to get past a bunch of initial resistance and possible misunderstanding.

It's not my motorsport activity of choice either. FWIW, I'm into (grip-style) auto-X, which every once in a while can start to look like drifting if you push things a bit too hard. You don't have to twist my arm very hard to convince me that somebody with some skills acquired through drifting might be able to 'save' a run that others might not.

The OP' stated question is entirely valid - drifting is far more of a RWD activity, and maybe somebody might eventually try running a FI sixxer at it. There's quite a bit more to it, especially chassis-wise. Dare to be different doesn't have to be limited to street rod build-ups.

Norm
Old 04-14-2008, 02:48 PM
07ccdskaterv6

i dont know if i would call it drifting like some of yall are saying but i live on the beach where you can drive and i take my stock v6 out there every once in a while and slide around,granted its a lot easier on beach sand than pavement...and easier on the tires but its still fun but i stay off the streets as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:14 PM
ricekiller06
2nd Gear Member

i am the guy that started this thread and i like the discussion going around on this thread, some off topic but still good discussion
i personally am into all sorts of racing including drag and the new sport of drifting to me

i have been going out quite a bit and these cars are set up pretty nicely for it, the torque is awesome lites the tires up instantly after a little clutch kick compared to my buddies 240sx 4-banger that sometimes has problems keeping it loose on dry pavement, although he kicks my *** at drifting he is really good

the only thing that would help me now is a good set of coil overs instead of my soft *** lowering springs.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

You'll probably find that the best thing about coilovers is the huge variety of spring rates and the next best thing being able to put the ride height closer to where you want it. Something you may eventually have to do is something to increase the amount of steering lock - you can't possibly hold the car at 40° to the direction of travel if the front wheels can only steer to something like 33°. Not for long, anyway.

Norm
Old 04-14-2008, 10:01 PM
sonicmetalicS197
2nd Gear Member

ya i tried it, long story short i had to get a new front 1/4 panell, rim, tire, and lower controll arm. Curb and billboard won that one.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i was just at the formula drift in long beach this past saturday. its pretty amazing watching the pros do it. the car girls were pretty amazing too! [8D]
Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 PM
outastockjohn
2nd Gear Member

ive tried it, i have construction going on on my street, so one day after my tires were covered in mud, i pulled off a good drift at the next corner,after pavement. then i tried it the nexted day and the dirt was dry so the tires werent covered, and ended up loosing control and came 2 in. from the curb. might have been differnt if i had a tlok. i think ill get some cheap rwd car to do that in at a driving school when ever the trake opens back up .