Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best COLD AIR INTAKE without tuner

Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best COLD AIR INTAKE without tuner

ORIGINAL: TAoW1939

The best bang for your buck for 250 would be to open up your exhaust. The best axlebacks will net you around 10 hp, while the best no-tune CAI will only get you around 6-8. There is no sense buying a no-tune CAI because you will only change it out later (try and stop yourself). Your best bet for more power with that money would be an axleback.
x2.
That stock exhaust really chokes up the flow. And yup, when you finally get a tuner, you'll want a better tunable CAI. Or at least a larger MAF housing...If you get a CAI that doesn't require a tune, at least see if you are able to attach a larger MAF housing in the future.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

first of all, the Demolet Tunable Inductions is $199 alone but needs a tuner to function correctly. This intake, in my opionion is the best bang for buck. Highest gains, low price. As for the no-tune intakes, i believe the aFe rated the highest in terms of hp/torq gains without any tune. a few members back in the day dynoed up to 12 hp gain with the aFe. if you REALLY want an intake now and are not too concerned with appearance but instead more interested in performance alone, get the aFe. if you decide the other suggested route and get a tuner now instead of a cai, put the Demolet on your list. good luck dude.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

a intake without a tuner is a waste of time, might as well buy a boat paddle and hang it out the window and row while driving. You will see exactly the same horsepower increase. JMO
Old 02-29-2008, 10:27 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

throttle body spacers are usless!.........no tune CAIs are about a step up on the useless chart IMO
Old 02-29-2008, 11:20 PM
samv1368
3rd Gear Member

MMR
Old 02-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

FFS, get a $70 eBay CAI. Every single CAI for our cars dyno's within a whp of every other one, so you're really just wasting money with anything more than the cheapest. It's just a bent piece of pipe and a cone air filter, folks! I've been running an eBay CAI for more than a year with no issues whatsoever. Top-notch welds, great construction, straightclone of theAEM Brute Force intake, which itself is a fine piece of bent pipe. The filter element is a properly-sized K&N filter, just at a third of the price of the FIPK for the same performance. Shiny, too! Everyone ooh's and ah's when I open the hood.

Ones that OMG REQUIER A TOON!!1 only do so because they have an oversized MAF housing, which needs to be accounted for in the tune or the ECU won't know what the hell is going on. They don't free up any more power than any other CAI, since it's the intake manifold that is the bottleneck once you remove the stock airbox. Get an eBay CAI! Not to denigrate other CAIs on the market, which are excellent pieces of bent pipe, but I couldn't imagine shelling out 4-7x as much money for the same performance.

Now, by not wasting money on an overpriced CAI, you've got $170 saved for a tuner, which is where you'll get real gains.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:58 PM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glacial

FFS, get a $70 eBay CAI. Every single CAI for our cars dyno's within a whp of every other one, so you're really just wasting money with anything more than the cheapest. It's just a bent piece of pipe and a cone air filter, folks! I've been running an eBay CAI for more than a year with no issues whatsoever. Top-notch welds, great construction, straightclone of theAEM Brute Force intake, which itself is a fine piece of bent pipe. The filter element is a properly-sized K&N filter, just at a third of the price of the FIPK for the same performance. Shiny, too! Everyone ooh's and ah's when I open the hood.

Ones that OMG REQUIER A TOON!!1 only do so because they have an oversized MAF housing, which needs to be accounted for in the tune or the ECU won't know what the hell is going on. They don't free up any more power than any other CAI, since it's the intake manifold that is the bottleneck once you remove the stock airbox. Get an eBay CAI! Not to denigrate other CAIs on the market, which are excellent pieces of bent pipe, but I couldn't imagine shelling out 4-7x as much money for the same performance.

Now, by not wasting money on an overpriced CAI, you've got $170 saved for a tuner, which is where you'll get real gains.
Got a link to the Ebay CAI you bought? I'd like to take a peek.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

im sorry, all CAIs are not made the same though.....there is alot of R&D that goes into making them to produce the most HP or the most TQ...a bigger MAF size will benefit different setups. I bent pipe with 15 bends doesnt flow like the same size pipe with two....

most of the NAME brands will give you about the same amount of gains, but some no name homemade kit off ebay i would stay away from and stick to something proven.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 AM
StreamlineStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

im sorry, all CAIs are not made the same though.....there is alot of R&D that goes into making them to produce the most HP or the most TQ...a bigger MAF size will benefit different setups. I bent pipe with 15 bends doesnt flow like the same size pipe with two....

most of the NAME brands will give you about the same amount of gains, but some no name homemade kit off ebay i would stay away from and stick to something proven.
Agreed, I'd just like to see the kit to see how it's looks.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:34 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

The best two with no tunes are the AFE and MMR. The other ones have proven very very small gains. The AEM has proven itself with 0 gain actually.

Trust me. I have been around since these intakes came out. They have kinda lost their flare with such a huge market now, but they are still the best non-tunes intakes out there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best COLD AIR INTAKE without tuner