Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best COLD AIR INTAKE without tuner

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Glacial
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Best COLD AIR INTAKE without tuner

ORIGINAL: howarmat

im sorry, all CAIs are not made the same though.....there is alot of R&D that goes into making them to produce the most HP or the most TQ...a bigger MAF size will benefit different setups. I bent pipe with 15 bends doesnt flow like the same size pipe with two....
This just isn't true with the 4.0 -- after you remove the stock airbox, you're restricted by the intake manifold. Nothing you put in front of it is going to make any difference, no matter what. I guess you lucky GT bastages get a better setup And nobody's putting 15 bends in anything!

most of the NAME brands will give you about the same amount of gains, but some no name homemade kit off ebay i would stay away from and stick to something proven.
... I'm running a k2motor kit, which is a clone of the AEM Brute Force intake. It's made of nice shiny aluminum with absolutely top-notch welds -- I was actually surprised at how professionally it's been done, especially considering trying to weld aluminum makes me cry.But more importantly, it is a bent. piece. of. pipe. What could go wrong? Mine is by no means homemade, but even if it was made of f'ing dryer duct with a cone filter on the end, it should work. It doesn't bear any load or stress, it just moves air from a cone filter to a throttle body. And, if I understand Justin at VMP right,every 4.0 CAI, bigger MAF housing or not, all dyno withinthe margin of errorof each other, which implies all that pipe-bending R&D is really a big waste of everyone's time and money.

The actual AEM is restricted by its filter media. The Dryflow filter is extremely efficient, but not nearly as free-flowing as a good foam or oiled-cotton filter. The k2motor job just uses an ordinary oiled-cotton filter and works beautifully, and flows like a ****. Noticeable SOTP gain, as well as throttle response, and of course the cool whooshy induction noise.

http://www.k2motor.com/afcmst05v6.html<-- here's a link to my eBay CAI's manufacturer's site -- they list $99 as the price on their online store, but sell 'em on eBay for $70 or so. Even so, gives you an impression of what the setup looks like.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:42 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I have an AiRaid I will sell you for $200.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Glacial

The actual AEM is restricted by its filter media. The Dryflow filter is extremely efficient, but not nearly as free-flowing as a good foam or oiled-cotton filter. The k2motor job just uses an ordinary oiled-cotton filter and works beautifully, and flows like a ****. Noticeable SOTP gain, as well as throttle response, and of course the cool whooshy induction noise.
a BIG +1.....the AEM's design is completely fine and the only reason it supposedly gets no gain over stock is the dryflow filter. its awesome at filtering dirt and can still flow better than a stock filter but still comes up short compared to a cotton cone filter. i swapped my dryflow with a s&b cone and it literally felt like i got a brand new and improved intake. the filter made all the difference in the AEM. this is no knock on the dryflow because i think it would be best used for offroad vehicles or cars in very dusty environments.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:56 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I see where Glacial is coming from.
Even with the larger MAF diameter, they are reduced to fit the throttle body.
And I've seen numerous posts about the useless aftermarket larger throttle bodies.
Get the tune. JMHO.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:12 PM
kdrshocker
2nd Gear Member

just fyi - K&N air filters are some of the worse out there. - the allow air in yes, but they won't filter out as much as some of the other brands.

S&B is the main suppler for FORD. they make the stock air filter and sell many filters with all other brands of intakes, - AEM, INGEN,...