Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang Trivia - V6

Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang Trivia - V6

So, I found this really cool book on Mustangs at Boarders. I was reading the chapter about the new 05's at lunch time. I was amazed at how much praise the Ford company gave the V6 model. For instance, the desingers actually prefer the front end of the V6 over the GT. The Mustang hood was desinged to fit the taller V6 engine, so both models ended up with it. I didn't know that the S197 meant SPORTY, Ford car design number 197. On the rear trunk badge, only the V6 has the Mustang emblem on it. And, a bit of trivia I found near the beginning of the book, the reason the horse on the Mustang emblem "runs" from right to left, is that the original designer from Ford way back when was right handed, and it was easier for him to draw it that way! One last thing, did you know that one of the head desingers of the 05 was a refugee from Vietnam??? The book is awesome, great photos! Cheap too at 10 bucks!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:55 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Trivia - V6

kewl stuff. Book name please..
Old 03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

And The Name Of the Book IS ??????

Cool If you let us know the name of it I would like to look for a copy.
Thanks That was cool.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:59 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

I had heard all of that too. The concept car was much different than the actual modelas shown in MUSTANG 40 years. Ford discribed it as a sporty carbut stopped way short of calling it a sports car.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:00 PM
frd06GT
2nd Gear Member

Mustang 2005: A New Breed of Pony Car, Launch Book Ser.[/align]
Bibliographic Data: Hardcover, 160 Pages, Revised, MBI Publishing Company LLC, November 2004

Author: Delorenzo, Matt

edit: I think this is the one he's talking about
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Yeah Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's director of Advanced Product Creation and Special Vehicle Team, was in charge of designing the new Mustang. From what I have read, Ford is sending him to Europe to be the head guy there.....maybe to get him more experienced about running the company and perhaps take over the reins of Ford here in the U.S. One can only hope!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
PonyUp
1st Gear Member

Duh, yeah, that would have been a good idea! That beer I had at lunch must have clouded my thaughts! HA! JK...

The title is " Ford Mustang: 40 Years of Fun" By, The Auto editors of Consumer Guide. Copywright was 2004 (2004?) Its 257 pages of all Mustangs! I can't put it down!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:16 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Yeah Hau Thai-Tang, Ford's director of Advanced Product Creation and Special Vehicle Team, was in charge of designing the new Mustang. From what I have read, Ford is sending him to Europe to be the head guy there.....maybe to get him more experienced about running the company and perhaps take over the reins of Ford here in the U.S. One can only hope!

Not real sure how brilliant he is/was. All he had to do was get a Mustang history book and redo what Lee did. Slap a Ranger drivetrain in there and call it good. Nothing a grade school doodler couldn't have done. You should have seen some of the cars we drew up back in the day, without the aid of a computer.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:25 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GidyupGo

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Not real sure how brilliant he is/was. All he had to do was get a Mustang history book and redo what Lee did. Slap a Ranger drivetrain in there and call it good. Nothing a grade school doodler couldn't have done. You should have seen some of the cars we drew up back in the day, without the aid of a computer.
Yeah I know what you mean about back in the day. As a kid we didn't have video games so we spent our time outside. But on those days when it was too nasty to be out, we would draw cool pictures of cars.

Thia-Tang may be what Ford needs right now as far as leadershipto help get them out of their slump. We'll have to wait and see how he handles the European Ford name.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i seen that Tang dude on tv. I believe the program was about concept cars and they interviewed and gave a brief rundown on his background. whether or not his design was innovative, any real designer can appreciate what he did. its so much easier to critique a finished product than to have to come up with it yourself (retro or not). as with just about every other industry, designers are limited or "directed" on what to create so you will always see some crazy gnarly sketches if you were to visit an industrial design studio. kudos to Tang for reminding many americans what the mustang was and still is. pure classic.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang Trivia - V6