Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Starting to get excited!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 12:30 AM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Starting to get excited!

So you can just buy a tlok and new gear for the V6 diff?

Also what happens to your speedo and odometer? Do you just live with them being out or can they be re-calibrated?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: project85

Did you select RACE tune file from bamachips?

Highly recommend it...
Yep, 93 race tune, 93 torque tune, and 87 performance.. I just wish they would hurry up and ship it. Been 6 days and still processing.

ORIGINAL: Favre4TD

So you can just buy a tlok and new gear for the V6 diff?

Also what happens to your speedo and odometer? Do you just live with them being out or can they be re-calibrated?
Yes you can just replace gears and add a tlok. As far as the speedo etc. it is off right now, but only by a little bit. Like 7mph. That wont affect the odometer much, since I will only be running that way for a week, i ordered my cai/tune with the gears I have installed. So everything will adjust itself when I put my tune in.

400 more miles before I get into it and see what these 3.73's & tlok can do! Should have it done by this weekend, going on a trip just to break them in!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Congrats on the gears & LSD! I was told the break-in period was 3 heat cycles, and about 300 miles. Never hurts to be careful though. You'll love it even more after the CAI & tune, and the handheld tuner should allow you to reset the speedo yourself.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:17 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Congrats on the gears & LSD! I was told the break-in period was 3 heat cycles, and about 300 miles. Never hurts to be careful though. You'll love it even more after the CAI & tune, and the handheld tuner should allow you to reset the speedo yourself.
Hrmm 3 heat cycles eh? What do you mean exactly? Like normal operating temp for the rear end then cool down?
Old 03-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yeah, 500 seems much to me but maybe thats just recommended if you intend on pounding it at the track. but like hopup said, doesnt hurt. i'll see what they tell me about break-in from the shop i'm getting mine done at. man, i cant wait till my install on monday! [8D]
Old 03-06-2008, 02:06 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

Hrmm 3 heat cycles eh? What do you mean exactly? Like normal operating temp for the rear end then cool down?
That's it exactly!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

So what do the new gears do for gas mileage?

Also what do the gears and tlok do for 1/4 mile times? From what I've been told stock is about mid 15's with a CAI/tune that drops about a second, so what do the gears do?

Where I live there is a Mom/Pop drag strip that you can take your street cars to and just have fun. I've been thinking about doing that after I get my CAI/tune hopefully in June/July timeframe.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MN Moose

You will be a happy man with doug's tune. I just switched over to his from brenspeed's tunes about a week ago and i couldn't be any happier.

The tlok and gears will make you crap your pants. I installed mine myself and i loved every minute of it.

Have fun man
Why did you switch and what is the difference between the bama and brenspeed?What about VMP? I'm assuming this means not all tunes are created equal. I'm hopingto get the CAI/tune later this yearso who is the best and why?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

T-Lok gives you better traction and eliminates the 1 wheel burnout.

Gears will help your 1/4 mile time a good amount, they dont give you any more rwhp but help you get up into the power band of your car faster.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

+1.....think of it like riding a ten speed bike. you're still the same person giving the same power to the pedals but you'll get up and going much faster if you start at 1st-3rd gear comapared to 5th-7th gear. this is NOT an exact representation but its the same concept.

Quick Reply: Starting to get excited!