Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why do the V6's ONLY have 210hp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 12:44 AM
DMoney

Default RE: Why do the V6's ONLY have 210hp?

Not to hi-jack the post, but for what started out as a cheap car for good mpg has turned into a fun hobby. I've got Hotshot intake, 4-2-1 header with custom exhaust and Dynomax muffler(trying to stay away from fart can look and sound), under drive pulley, MSD ignition, cams and adjustable cam gears, Ford Racing pcm with Superchip, short shifter, suspension work, etc. The adj cam gear is how I'm getting 40mpg. I can move the power band up to drop rpm's on highway, but lose torque, not good for track. I have a bored throttle body and intake manifold waiting as well.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
n4ggs
2nd Gear Member

210 hp doesnt sould like much coming from a 4.0 liter motor espically when you compare it to 200 hp from a 2 liter car. that is misleading. the reason is torque. look at the power curve on a 4.0 and then look at a honda 4 banger. the ford has flat torque from 2k to 5k rmp, that means good hp anywhere along the rmp range (hp = rpm x torque).
the 2 liter has next to no torque so it has to get all its power from rpm so thats where the torque is. what this means on the street is that while the a car with 210 hp 240 lb/ft of trq will be just as fast as the same car with 210 hp and 140 lb/fl of trq at high speed (top end) the torquier car will GET INTO the high rpm faster. the 4 liter has like 150 hp at as low as 3000 rpm. no N/A 2 liter ever made has anywhere near that kind of power at 3k rpm. in short the 4.0 v6 is a better performance engine than a rsx 4 banger AND IT COST LESS TO BOOT!

god hondas suck, how great would it be to have a civic with a mustang v6 in there. all the idiot ricers would be like OMG YOU RUINED DA CAR DOG!!!11 and then you race it against their 15k japanesse import engine with half the displacement and they are all like OMG DOGLET YOU MUST BE LIKE THE BEST DRIVER EVERZZZZZZSZ!!!11 god i hate hondas.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:43 AM
MrAWatts
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sicride

Don't get me wrong please, I realized that the other post was blowing up, I'm not saying the V6 is a weak car or anything of the like. I'm just curious if anybody can figure out why Ford made a 4.0L with only 210hp? This also isn't a Import vs. Domestic thing but obviously theres plenty V6's out there smaller and making much more power. 3.5L Nissan 290hp, or less tuned 240hp. I would assume the torque on the 3.5L Nissan engine and the 4.0L Ford will be about the same but the Nissan still has more horsepower, why? Gas mileage doesn't seem to make sense? Sound might, but it sounds like a weak excuse. Is it strictly the competition with it's big brother?

I'm looking for more logical business oriented reasons why the V6 was made to be a 4.0L with low horsepower rating in comparison to it's competitions V6's. Also the Chevy V6's what are their horsepower ratings (NA not the Supercharged V6)?
Hmm, your right. Ford should have worked harder and made alot more HP, huh. It should probably have about 290 you know.. Then people could stroll out to the dealership and take a gander at the GT and the V6 and decided which one they want more. I'm sure alot of people would still get the GT you know, that extra $5000 for 10 HP...Maybe they could even throw a supercharger on there. Oh wait...nope, scratch these ideas because then the six hating GT owners couldn't talk **** anymore. Nevermind.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:55 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Here is the link for the V-6 right up.

V-6 auto just 0.6 second off the old automatic V-8's 0-to-60 time and only 0.2 second slower in the quarter. C/D feb 05
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Shifty

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: Shifty

Well why does the GT only have 300hp? Why don't they try to match the new z06's number of 500hp on a n/a v8? Because they are fitting the car to the market.
that's what the cobras and saleens are for.
Exactly. If the cars had higher and higher horse power, our insurance would be EVEN HIGHER! Sure horsepower rules but I hate paying for it. This is what the aftermarket is for.
funny, because when i got my 04. the insurance on the v6 was 1800/yr, the GT was 1600/yr. figure that one out. the agent couldn't so he gave it to me.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

No body notice the cute woman here? A little young but really that also is some beautiful country where ever that is.
ORIGINAL: xRockThePonyx

ORIGINAL: luv_the_stang

who cares about the v6 lol

[sm=chairshot.gif]

I think Ford did that just because some people might want the look of a mustang, but not an overwhelming amount of HP. Think about it, old ladies driving around in 300HP 6 bangers? Would not be a good thing, they'd kill someone with all that power.

I think it might help them keep the price down in a way, that way they sell more 6ers. The 6ers really keep the stang alive on sales, because they definitely don't sell nearly as many GTS as 6ers.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

HELL YEA I noticed!

But I am 50 years old.. I didnt' want anyone thinking I was some kind of pervert or something so I didn't bring it up!

But.. since you broke the ice... She is HOT!

HA HA
Old 04-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

HELL YEA I knoticed...

But I am 50 years old.. I didnt' want anyone thinking I was some kind of pervert or something so I didn't bring it up!

But.. since you broke the ice... She is HOT!

HA HA
Yeah PW your a pervert all right... But so am I... So I know what your going through... you know, if you ever need to talk about it... LOL

Yeah she is definatly a cutie... I wonder if she would help us out the our "Sex On The Hood" problem? (BTW No I am not too old)

Well?
Old 04-07-2005, 06:20 PM
Professor Wizard
MF Moderator

HAHA...

How old are you anyway Whitey?

and.. neither am I "Too Old"... the girl I am seeing now is 29. but this cutie looks to be maybe 19. I think her mamma would be quite mad at me!

I see lots of "cute ones" driving their stangs down the road. Here in STL it would seem stangs are much more popular with the Females.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Whitey_McNasty
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Professor Wizard

HAHA...

How old are you anyway Whitey?
Old enough to know how and still young enough to do it..... BOOOYEAH!

And I usually stick to the 18 - 28 crowd anyway... My girls ALWAYS have to be younger than me.... Unless they're not... LOL

Quick Reply: Why do the V6's ONLY have 210hp?