Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197 v6s are selling for less than 10k now

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: S197 v6s are selling for less than 10k now

50k+ is high mlieage for a 2005 car. Insurance companies and dealers consider 12K/year to be high/normal. Craigslist? I would think blue-book a more reasonable source for depreciation values.
I bet I could trade my 11,500 mile pony in on a GT and still get 16K for a swap.

......anything is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:17 PM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sliek0722

I think we're living in the 60s and 70s if we're still talking about driving a car hard. You can't really drive a modern car hard. It's impossible. This is given:

-Previous owner doesn't redline it frequently
-Previous owner does all the oil changes
-Previous owner might accelerate it really hard but the only thing that could happen from that is some body damage from road debris.

But unlike the 60s and 70s cars, accelerating a carfast, shifting the gears fast and braking hard do notruin a car anymore than driving it gently does.

That's why Honda Civics with 180k thatare driven like that by teenagers still go to 300k.
Honda Civics don't accellerate hard though, engines on those cars take less wear and tear because they're capable of doing much less to the rest of the drivetrain when you floor it. obviously the drive trains are built differently to handle different amounts of force, but on a civic it takes almost nothing to accomplish. You don't think it matters at all how the previous owner treated the car? Neutral dropped it on an automatic? floored it right out of the driveway on cold days without warming it up at all? pushed it to the limit before the engine was broken in? we'll just have to disagree then. they try to make cars idiot proof these days but i still believe you have to take reasonable care of them.

this is hypothetical and not something I can prove, but if you have two people driving the same car and one of them is flooring it between every traffic light and then slamming on the brakes to stop, then flooring it again and stopping, and the other guy is driving smoothly, after 2 years of use/abuse, I don't believe those two cars will be in the same condition. i've owned 5 or 6 beater used cars over the years, none of them older than '89 (not the 60s) and it always mattered how the car was treated.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:14 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

let me get this str8 i have no desire to sell my girl, but @ 42,000 she runs tip top, andi think i could easily get 11 to 12 k for her.....my goal is to never sell it though.....and yes i believe it how well you treat the car i have over 500,000 miles under my belt as i traveled on the road for years, i got close 300,000 out of each car and even though i took care of those well, i really take care of this one....im hoping to double that.......
Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 AM
sliek0722
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: frankmarino

I think we're living in the 60s and 70s if we're still talking about driving a car hard. You can't really drive a modern car hard. It's impossible. This is given:

-Previous owner might accelerate it really hard but the only thing that could happen from that is some body damage from road debris.

But unlike the 60s and 70s cars, accelerating a carfast, shifting the gears fast and braking hard do notruin a car anymore than driving it gently does.

That's why Honda Civics with 180k thatare driven like that by teenagers still go to 300k.
Honda Civics don't accellerate hard though, engines on those cars take less wear and tear because they're capable of doing much less to the rest of the drivetrain when you floor it. obviously the drive trains are built differently to handle different amounts of force, but on a civic it takes almost nothing to accomplish. You don't think it matters at all how the previous owner treated the car? Neutral dropped it on an automatic? floored it right out of the driveway on cold days without warming it up at all? pushed it to the limit before the engine was broken in? we'll just have to disagree then. they try to make cars idiot proof these days but i still believe you have to take reasonable care of them.

this is hypothetical and not something I can prove, but if you have two people driving the same car and one of them is flooring it between every traffic light and then slamming on the brakes to stop, then flooring it again and stopping, and the other guy is driving smoothly, after 2 years of use/abuse, I don't believe those two cars will be in the same condition. i've owned 5 or 6 beater used cars over the years, none of them older than '89 (not the 60s) and it always mattered how the car was treated.
With today's cars, yes. Most cars made from 2003 onward have no break in period nor do they need to be warmed up in the morning.

As far as neutral drops on an automatic well that's outright abuse. MOst people don't do this on their autos but there are a few that do but luckily the transmissions and engines of today can handle it much better than cars from the 60s 70s and 80s.

In fact I had a 1997 mustang that I bought used with 50k miles on it AND I learned how to drive stickshift on it BY MYSELF. I sold it at 130k miles but before I sold it, I considered replacing the clutch at that mileage but when the mechanic pulled out the tranny, the clutch still had 40% pad left at least and everything else wasin great shape! I would say that tranny went through some abuse too through my learning curve.

Today's cars are just built a whole lot better. That's why 250k is the new 100k. (Remember in the 80s where if your car made it to 100k it lasted for awhile?)
Old 03-09-2008, 11:05 AM
frankmarino
1st Gear Member

Today's cars are just built a whole lot better. That's why 250k is the new 100k. (Remember in the 80s where if your car made it to 100k it lasted for awhile?)
Yeah, I still think 100k is a lot...I even have a 2000 corolla that I bought brand new, and at only about 80,000 miles, it burns oil like crazy, I have to put a quart in every week if I'm driving it regularly. I guess some people just have worse luck than others...It was the first car that I owned that wasnt 10 years old, so I definitely took care of it.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:19 AM
07lane40
3rd Gear Member

not true if its a stick. (yeah it may be so for auto's) because you can severly mess up your drivretrain doing burnouts drifting, and what have you. you can beat the hell out of our cars, but in the end theyre just a chunk of metal and can wear out/break down. that why they still come with warranties.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:07 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: musicheadt

50k+ is high mlieage for a 2005 car. Insurance companies and dealers consider 12K/year to be high/normal. Craigslist? I would think blue-book a more reasonable source for depreciation values.
I bet I could trade my 11,500 mile pony in on a GT and still get 16K for a swap.

......anything is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Contradictory statement above. The correct statement is an item is only worth what a ready wiiling and able buyer is willing to pay. Sure, you might get $16k for trade in value, which by the way, is what new ones are going for, but the Gt that I could buy with cash and pay $22k would cost you around $25k as the delaer would be showing you more $$$ for the trade that it's real value. So,that $16k trade would make it retail resale for $18k which is unrealistic for a used V6 in todays market and i don't care if you have IUP, pony package etc etc.If I have $10 in my left pocket, and $10 in my right pocket; I still only have $20
Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Never purchase off EBAY or craigslist unless you at least run the VIN. But our economy isn't doing so hot. Unless its a 4 cylinder or hybrid, cars are going for KBB value...but for a lot less IF they sell. S197 GTs are going for less tan $20K and I've seen some for $16K! It's not just our V6, it's cars, houses, etc. in general.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:19 PM
ptkthekid
3rd Gear Member

I just paid 14k for a 05 with a V6. Oh did I mention that its black with side stripes, two top shelby stripes, a manual trans, and a gt grill complete with fog lites. It is very cool!! Oh by the way, My V6 manual trans could go a long way againt any V8 auto. Not to be a jerk but this car is really fast!! Just for the record I thought I got a really good price for the detroit market. Besides, who cares, I'm so happy I'm about to **** myself!!! he he he (all in good fun)
Old 03-10-2008, 11:18 PM
powerband
2nd Gear Member

I bought my 2008 V6 for $14,950 (at the end of 07). At the time, I saw three 2005 Mustang V6s with mileages between 48,000 and 56,000 were on sale for over $12K each on Craig's List. Don't generalize that all Mustangs are going for under $10K simply because you saw one.