Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Rough day with a good ending...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default Rough day with a good ending...

Well I went to install my FRPP springs, and ran into a problem. When I was jacking up my car I noticed a rock in my back tire. Then after getting my car up on jackstands, and jacking up the rear axel to put on my springs, I went to take off the tire and found out I can't because my tire iron won't fit in my razor rims. Great... so I put it back down and take my car into discount tire so they can fix the tire.

While I am getting my tire fixed, the machine freaked out and ate my rim. Something slipped on the machine and took out 3 chunks of my new razor rim, and scratched the entire polished lip of it.

At least discount tire has great service and they ordered me a replacement rim, should be here next week to get it installed.

Still haven't got my springs put on yet, but I did get to break in my gears and I absolutely love them! Gives it just the right amount of kick and gets your up to your power band much faster. So I guess it wasn't such a rough day
Old 03-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Rough day with a good ending...

Good to hear you can finally let loose the gears . Sorry to hear about your rim and prolonged installation of your springs. At least everything is being replaced for free. And good luck with your car, it's becoming one hell of a ride
Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

midly off topic, but i clicked to view the v6 of fury. you did a great job with the conversion.

also, what made you decide on the 3.73 over the 4.10s? im getting gears soon so i like to ask why people chose one over the other.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

ORIGINAL: Devil Wolf

midly off topic, but i clicked to view the v6 of fury. you did a great job with the conversion.

also, what made you decide on the 3.73 over the 4.10s? im getting gears soon so i like to ask why people chose one over the other.
Several little reasons:

1.) If I ever decide to go with a supercharger/turbo, 3.73's will better suite my needs
2.) I drive on the highway alot to/from work, 3.73 seem a better fit all around.
3.) Too many problems trying to get 4.10's that weren't made by motive.

Just overall 3.73's seem to better fit my needs, and I don't regret getting them at all. They work perfectly for me and give it a really good amount of "oomph" in my take off
Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

cool, thanks. i haven't quite made up my mind, i was going with the 4.10s for a while now, but i'm starting to feel a bit uncertain at having my car reving at 2900 rpms on the expressway when i cruise at 80.

to be honest, i really wish SOMEONE would make a 3.90 gear for a 7.5 rear end. i think thats what im really looking for.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Well 28hopup sold me on the 3.73's because of what he said. Depending on your rear tire size, your gears can actually go higher or lower. Read below.. according to what he said my 3.73's are running about 3.90.
ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

When deciding on gears, you must also consider rear tire diameter, as that affects your final gear ratio. I have 4.10:1 gears in my 5-spd coupe, but I prefer the 28" dia drag radials from M&H, which measure 275/50R17. The taller tire drops/raises my gearing to 3.95:1, versus the stock 17" Pirellis. Conversely, a 26" dia DR like the Mickey Thompson ET Streets will change my final gearing to 4.25:1.

So you need to consider the tires you are planning to run after the gears are installed.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

to clear up his post a bit, the stock pirellis are a 27" diameter (actually 27.18 from factory) on a 17" wheel. he is 100% correct though; the bigger the tire, the more it drops your gear ratio. (bigger diameter takes longer to make one single rotation).

with a 4.10 gear and a 27" tire diameter (stock for pony package) i can cruise at 80 at about 2900 rpms. for arguments sake, if i went out at bought 20in wheels and put my pirellis on them, i would be running a 30" diameter, which would let me cruise at 80 at only 2650 rpms, which would be exactly the same as a 3.69 gear with a 27" tire diameter.

bigger wheel + bigger tires = lower gear ratio. and it could make a HUGE difference.

back in my father's time, people used to buy 15" wheels and "cheater slicks" to achieve a more aggresive gearing.

all that said, i still have no idea what im going to do. [&:]

Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ODDYSEY

...but I did get to break in my gears and I absolutely love them! Gives it just the right amount of kick and gets your up to your power band much faster.
Hey ODDYSEY glad to hear things didn't end so badly, at least the guys ordered your replacement rim. I assume they're not making you pay for it, right?

Also, I plan on getting 3.73 gears soon. So I have two questions for ya:

1. You said it was a PITA to get 4.10 gears that aren't made by Motive. I have read on various posts here that Motive is now making the FRPP 3.73's and possibly all other gears for our 7.5's. Anyone know if that's true?

2. How long did it take to break in the gears and what is the noticeable difference?

Thanks buddy.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Just don't get any FRPP gears where the part number ends in M. Just ask, that is what I did.

Also it took me 500 miles and I did it in a weekend, just went for a nice long drive with my wife. And there was a pretty noticeable difference, overall the car felt like it had more jump and it sounds nice on the highway, but doesn't sound like its reving to high. Just the right amount.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Ok cool sounds like a plan. I've been playing yours and Sandman's FRPP exhaust clips almost every day, I really can't wait for this install.

Quick Reply: Rough day with a good ending...