Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

no muffler

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Default RE: no muffler

Or someone who actually worked with the owner of an exhaust shop (specializing in muscle cars andperformance trucks)to fabricate the pipe where we took off the muffler. "Ay thank you"

Like I said, I've had my muffler gone for two whole years. NO PROBLEMS. NO COMPLAINTS. NOTHING BUT COMPLIMENTS...from people who own GTs, Z06 Corvettes, Chevy V8 Trucks, etc. When I first bought the car, I took it to that shop and had an IMCO muffler put on. A week later, took it off and threw it in the garbage. With a muffler, these cars are hopeless IMOif you want a meaner non-quiet non-ricer sounding car. I went a little more in depth with this setup though. Cut off the muffler right at the axle, welded an extending pipe that was fabricated inside to cut back the drone a bit, installed new exhaust clamps/hangersand welded a 3" chrome tip. I've never heard ONE rattle from the pipe, hit it on a speed bump (consider my car is lowered now too), never had to replace a hanger either.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:22 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Yea I wouldnt take the muffler off if you just ordered another muffler... because you will be dissapointed when you have to put the new muffler on. When you first start it up without the muffler you wont want to put it back on.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

Are you guys serious????!! Our cars without a muffler sound like junk. I took mine off last summer while "experimenting" with different set ups. Upon startup, it did sound cool-- very similar to a V8, but once the engine is warmed up, the exhaust noise quiets down, and all I heard was air puffing out ofthe pipe and a quiet, mellow engine gurgling that did not sound like a V8 at all.

I was literally embarrassed to step on it on the streets. It rumbled like a cheap dishwasher. I even had a friend drive it so I could hear it go by, and it sounded really bad--ear piercingly bad.

Not only did it sound bad, I could feel performance loss! My car didn't take off as quickly.

I tried duals without mufflers-- sounded even worse than before. When I added mufflers, I could feel a power increase. Not enough back pressure before?I don't know.. but I did feel a negative difference without a muffler.

It's probably ok to try out for a couple days since you're curious... that 's why I did it. But really... have a friend drive your car so you can hear it from the outside... it'll change you opinion.
OMG THANK YOU!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only sane one here. IMO, the people on here that think it sounds good wouldn't recognize a fart can ricer muffler from our 4.0 w/o a muffler. I've done it, I'd never do it again. Took it off one time to experiment and took it for a drive....got on it once, heard it, turned back around towards home with my tail in between my leg. I was embarrassed, it sounded HORRIBLE, much like the ricers I make fun of all the time. Let's face it, you can only get away with no muffler if you have a V8, that's all there is to it.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

Maybe it's just your car that sounds like that? Like I said, there's a lot more to it then just slicing off the muffler and leaving it that way. I sure do knowthe difference between a POS importcan and areal domestic muscle car. I'm sure many of the folks here do

ORIGINAL: basketballord

Are you guys serious????!! Our cars without a muffler sound like junk. I took mine off last summer while "experimenting" with different set ups. Upon startup, it did sound cool-- very similar to a V8, but once the engine is warmed up, the exhaust noise quiets down, and all I heard was air puffing out ofthe pipe and a quiet, mellow engine gurgling that did not sound like a V8 at all.

I was literally embarrassed to step on it on the streets. It rumbled like a cheap dishwasher. I even had a friend drive it so I could hear it go by, and it sounded really bad--ear piercingly bad.

Not only did it sound bad, I could feel performance loss! My car didn't take off as quickly.

I tried duals without mufflers-- sounded even worse than before. When I added mufflers, I could feel a power increase. Not enough back pressure before?I don't know.. but I did feel a negative difference without a muffler.

It's probably ok to try out for a couple days since you're curious... that 's why I did it. But really... have a friend drive your car so you can hear it from the outside... it'll change you opinion.
OMG THANK YOU!!! I was hoping I wasn't the only sane one here. IMO, the people on here that think it sounds good wouldn't recognize a fart can ricer muffler from our 4.0 w/o a muffler. I've done it, I'd never do it again. Took it off one time to experiment and took it for a drive....got on it once, heard it, turned back around towards home with my tail in between my leg. I was embarrassed, it sounded HORRIBLE, much like the ricers I make fun of all the time. Let's face it, you can only get away with no muffler if you have a V8, that's all there is to it.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Can we hear a sound clip of your car?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Here is a sound clip of my car without mufflers on it. Its simillar to how your car will sound with the one muffler off.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zZwTsWldxRQ

I got a pypes x pipe and mid pipes with pypes muffler deletes. When I was selling my single magnaflow muffler the guy that baught it from me wanted to see how my car sounded and he thought it was a v8.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:44 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Also here is a sound clip of me next to a scion tc with 13 pounds of boost. You can here my car pretty good in this. This is from like a 20 mph roll.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ixaJIq_Xn4Q
Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Sounds nice actually.

I also found this, http://marklhammond.googlepages.com/...6nomuffler.mpg .

Doesn't seem as bad as most people are making it sound...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Sounds clips dont me anything IMO. Most people just say "oooohhhh ahhhhh" based on the brand. I bet I could post a clip of a MAC muffler and say it was my Corsas and people would say things like "those sound great!".

Seriously, unless you are using some serious recording equipment, all these clips just sound like "brrrrrrrr bwooom bwoooooom"
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

Maybe it's just your car that sounds like that? Like I said, there's a lot more to it then just slicing off the muffler and leaving it that way. I sure do knowthe difference between a POS importcan and areal domestic muscle car. I'm sure many of the folks here do

ORIGINAL: basketballord

Guess I don't quite follow that. Just my car? I would think all 4.0 Colognes would sound pretty much identical. A lot more to it that just slicing the muffler off...that's what the OP was talking about, just taking the muffler off. Straight piped is straight piped, what else is there to it.. besides maybe adding tips? a couple more feet of pipe and a shiny tip isn't gunna keep it from sounding like crap anything above 1.5 RPMs IMO

Quick Reply: no muffler