Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

REVIEW: Full list of mods....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default REVIEW: Full list of mods....

Most of you know it has been a busy few weeks for me and my Mustang. Basically I held off on modding for a while, I did my research, and got a game plan together for what I wanted to do. Then I pulled the trigger and my wife is VERY happy I am done for now (well she told me I am done for now

Anyway here is my review of everything I have done, keep in mind these are my opinions and we can agree to disagree. Here is the list as follows and the reviews on the items below it.

Ford Racing V6 dual exhaust
Ford Racing 3.73 gears
Ford Racing N performance springs
Ford Racing T-lok
C&L cold air intake
SCT X-Calibrator 3 handheld tuner
Bamachips 93 race tune (93 torque, 87 perf. not reviewed yet)
American Racing - Razor's 18"
Nitto 555 - ZR Extreme performance

Ok, so here is a breakdown of what I thought of each product in case your interested in following the same route I did with any item.

FRPP V6 dual exhaust:
-Pros:
High quality, Excellent sound, and Great looks
- Cons: Expensive, Installation instructions not the greatest.
Review: I absolutely love this exhaust setup over any of the others I have seen or heard. It has great sound and continue's to improve day after day. The looks of it are amazing, the 4" polished tips look mean, and it is worry free. I chose to self install it, and some of it went very easy, but other parts took a little more time than I would have liked. Definately recommend this.

FRPP 3.73 gears:
-Pros: Great punch, Nice cruising RPM's
- Cons: none as of now
Review: The 3.73's work great for a nice all around gear. They have great punch to get you into the upper power band of your car, and hold a nice cruising RPM without winding your car too high. Also leaves the door open for me to go F/I if I choose in the future. 4.10's may have been more aggresive, but I feel the 3.73's were "just right" for my application.

FRPP N performance springs:
-Pros: Inexpensive, great quality, ride quality great.
- Cons: No instructions, not as aggresive as I hoped.
Review: They were suppose to be a 1.5" drop, but it doesn't seem like they are. They have a great feel to them though, car handles much better and looks great too.

FRPP t-lok:
-Pros: Inexpensive, alot of fun.
- Cons: Probably not the best solution for hard core track goers.
Review: For me this was a great investment, I do not frequent the track so it works great for me. It is also alot of fun, nothing better than 2 wheel burnouts!

C&L CAI:
-Pros: Excellent Quality, Easy Installation, Superb Performance
- Cons: Instructions could have had pictures
Review: First impression was how good of quality it was. It was made of thick aluminum, and high quality rubber, and the performance gain of it is awesome when combined with a tune. Definitely a MUST HAVE.

X-Cal3:
-Pros: Ease of use, Benefits
- Cons: No instructions (they do list them on their website though)
Review: Very easy to use, and ability to change ALOT of features about your car.

Bamachips 93 race:
-Pros: Everything
- Cons: None
Review: This probably made the largest performance gain on my car. Combined with the C&L CAI, and dual exhaust, it is a free 30 rwhp. This alone makes the car fun to drive, my car should have came out of the factory this way. It didn't give me the "OMG THIS IS AMAZING" feeling when I first started the car and took off, but definitely after driving for more than 10 minutes, I have a huge smile on my face. Don't get me wrong I could never go back, but keep a reasonable outlook on what it can do for your car. Highly Recommend.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default RE: REVIEW: Full list of mods....

In conclusion to my above post, my car is amazing. I feel like the handling, the performance, and the looks of it just jumped 10x better than I could have expected. It no longer has the throttle lag, or sluggishness it had before. When you need power, it is there at your foot. When you want to take a corner a little more aggresive, it responds better and feels safer at higher speeds.

I will be posting updated pictures of everything listed here as soon as I can. And I don't mind answering any questions about anything listed on my car. Just feel free to ask. I am definitely a very happy, very satisfied Mustang owner!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

i didnt want to start a new thread so i wanted to ask about gears in general...

exactly what effects on the car do 3.73/4.10 gears have? i've read increased torque/low end power, better launches, better hp, etc etc
Old 03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
addison85
2nd Gear Member

and i've heard some neg things about FRPP gears, yours are ok?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

why do you say the tlok would not be good for track goers? i assumed this would be necessary in higher gear aplications to get you to launch. i dont think that i would dream of getting 4.10s (if i do decide to go that route) and not also get the lsd.

is there a bad side to lsd that i am not aware of? i was going on the assumption that the only downside is it will stress the rear more than my current open rear end.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Great post.. btw.. at least for me.. I really didn't "get" the full feel of the CAI and tune for a few days.. Same with the gears. There are certain scenarios where your like "holy ****" that make you realize that you are not driving a stock mustang anymore.

The onramp for the highway is my playground now.. never thought I would say that.. but it is. It all comes together (gears+tune) when you are rolling at 10 mph and you floor it...
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 PM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Who are your gears made by? I know some of fords gears are made by motive from what ive heard. Do they make any noise?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Cool mods man, and I'm really thinking about doing that FRPP dual setup, though I may just have tips put on my GT takeoffs.
Glad to hear the 3.73's are a good choice, those are what I'm going to go with, as it is my DD and I put on about 110 miles a day.

You plannin' on picking up an aluminum DS?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:43 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

cool, but I guarantee you dont get 30rwhp from cai,tune, and catback. And its not free..
Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

cool, but I guarantee you dont get 30rwhp from cai,tune, and catback. And its not free..
It may not be as high as 30hp, but let me tell you, it sure as hell feels like 30-40hp!
I was unhappy with the acceleration and performance of the 6'er, until I plugged in the 91 torque tune. Feels like a completely different car. MUCH more pull, acceleration, and launching.

Just for ****s 'n giggles I placed the old airbox back on with the stock tune, and it felt like I was drivin a damn old ladys car.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Full list of mods....