Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Purchasing an Xpipe off of ebay. Where can I buy proper hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

Default Purchasing an Xpipe off of ebay. Where can I buy proper hangers?

Hi fellas,
I'm going to purchase a Ford xpipe off of ebay, let me know if this is correct:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-06...spagenameZWDVW

Where can I buy the proper hangers for the dual install? Thanks guys!
Old 03-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Purchasing an Xpipe off of ebay. Where can I buy proper hangers?

I just google'd and got a couple links

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/accessories.html

I really don't know if those will work..

or just call your ford dealer... they always have parts in stock but are a little pricey.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:31 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Avalanch3

I just google'd and got a couple links

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...1&comp=LRS
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/accessories.html

I really don't know if those will work..

or just call your ford dealer... they always have parts in stock but are a little pricey.
Thanks man, those look good, and good price! just gonna wait for a little more feedback to see if the Pypes hangers work w/the ford xpipe and not only the Pypes pipe.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:47 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

You're talking about hangers (brackets, technically) for the mufflers, right?

Yes, they'll (the Pypes ones) work with any setup. They're exactly the same as the factory OEM brackets, but a better grade of steel or something and they don't cost as much.

Go for it, those are 100% the ones you want (assuming you're talking about the brackets you need to hang the driver's side muffler, and not something else...)

Edit: I bought mine from American Muscle
http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-...s-hangers.html

Two brackets (or hangers, or whatever you want to call them) and all the bolts and whatever you need to hang your driver's side muffler. I think it's a little cheaper than buying direct from Pypes as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

You're talking about hangers (brackets, technically) for the mufflers, right?

Yes, they'll (the Pypes ones) work with any setup. They're exactly the same as the factory OEM brackets, but a better grade of steel or something and they don't cost as much.

Go for it, those are 100% the ones you want (assuming you're talking about the brackets you need to hang the driver's side muffler, and not something else...)
I assume the hangers for the exhausts are all I need correct? The xpipe has the clamps, but am I missing something in thinking I only need the hangers for the exhaust? I don't want to attempt to install the duals only to find that I'm missing a crucial part!
Thanks BTW, I'm gonna go ahead and order the pypes brackets.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:04 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

As long as the setup you're buying comes with the x-pipe, over-axle pipes, and all the clamps, you're golden.

Then buy the hanger brackets (the Pypes ones are good), and off you go. You might also need a "tap & die" set (like so) to cut threads into the holes in the frame for bolting up your new brackets.

The holes are pre-drilled, but they aren't threaded. Some people have just used the bolts themselves to cut the threads into the frame, and it's worked fine, but there seems to be more risk of messing stuff up doing it that way & causing yourself more problems, so if you have access to a tap & die set, that's probably the best way to go to make sure everything goes smooth.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:12 AM
Rhino77
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

As long as the setup you're buying comes with the x-pipe, over-axle pipes, and all the clamps, you're golden.

Then buy the hanger brackets (the Pypes ones are good), and off you go. You might also need a "tap & die" set (like so) to cut threads into the holes in the frame for bolting up your new brackets.

The holes are pre-drilled, but they aren't threaded. Some people have just used the bolts themselves to cut the threads into the frame, and it's worked fine, but there seems to be more risk of messing stuff up doing it that way & causing yourself more problems, so if you have access to a tap & die set, that's probably the best way to go to make sure everything goes smooth.
Great, yeah I've got GT midpipes, ordering the Xpipe, and I'll be ordering the brackets 'n bolts.
Wasn't aware that the predrilled holes weren't threaded...I'll probably end up purchasing a tap & die, I don't really want to use the bolts themselves to cut the pattern, that could mess up the threads on the bolts.

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-15-2008, 05:21 AM
JimC

To complete the install you need the band clamps for the X and the mid pipes connection, as well as the muffler hanger/brackets (2) for the muffler on the driver side. I used the Pypes muffler hanger/bracket and they worked fine. I picked up the band clamps (2) for the X to mid pipe connection at the local NAPA store
Old 03-15-2008, 08:08 AM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

Just tapped holes for the muffler brackets yesterday. You'll need an 8mm x 1.25 tap, and
you can get just the onetap from Ace hardware for about $6. Don't forget to lube the
tap each hole with 3 and 1 or similar oil and back out the tap after each turn tight to
loosen the chips. I broke one tap on the rear outer most hole cause it is tight in there
and I didn't set the tap square. Otherwise it took 15 min to do all. Good luck.
Bob