Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 10:28 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?

Well let me just advocate for the X-Charger...

1.) Much cleaner, cooler looking engine bay. Check out Torch_Vert's engine bay pics...schweet as hell!
2.) Group buy is going on right now, 8 people are signed up at the moment. That means right now you can get $200 off any of the X-charger options they offer. for example, if you want the hi-po version, the price from explorer express is 4395 usually. With the $200 off, it is 4195. If the group buy reaches 10 units (you would be number 9 if you committed, I believe), the discount is $400, making the price 3995. FURTHERMORE: this is probably the last group buy being offered for the X-Charger since steeda is now selling it. This means this is more than likely the last time you will be able to pick up an X for this cheap.
3.) Feels like a powerful stock engine...power comes on instantly and builds with the RPMs.
4.) Intercooler added ~40 horse in testing on navbtcret's car, and that was with the wrong size belt. Intake temperatures were obviously lower (that's the point of an intercooler), so they could have run a smaller pulley and made more power. Bottom line: intercooler's release in the future offers an upgrade path if you get greedy for more power.
5.) Install is simpler than an intercooled hi-po vortech. Most people on here who have X-Chargers have done the install themselves or with the help of friends.

The X is the way to go right now IMO
Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Vortech will give you more power who are you kidding!!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Vortech will probably get me more power. But it seems to be more expensive. And due to my budget, I'm leaning towards the X-Charger from EE.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Maverickaf17

Vortech will probably get me more power. But it seems to be more expensive. And due to my budget, I'm leaning towards the X-Charger from EE.
You can get a Vortech for cheaper than an X charger. For price, you shouldnt compare the H/O Vortech to the X. The standard Vortech is comparable to the X. It makes about 6psi, and made me 260rwhp.

The H/O Vortech from superchargersonline will generally be cheaper than the H/O X. If you want something that will compare to the H/O X, get a standard Vortech and put a 10psi pulley on it. That will cost you about $3300.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

After seeing thisvideo of a V6 Vortech, I'm probably going with X-Charger.

The Vortech is way too noisy and screechy at idle. I don't want that. Part of my judgement is also about sound, not just performance.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Also about looks. The Vortech looks like its crammed into the engine bay. I like the X-Charger's silver engine look, the sound of its powerup, and the quiet sound in idle.

Vortech is more powerful, but for that extra bit of power, I'm not willing to sacrifice those 3 qualities. Plus, I'm only looking to beat a few ricers on the road, not Vettes. As long as I get my 300rwhp, not at the crank, I'm happy.
Old 03-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Ha he was looking at a V1 that it looks like someone went to Home Depot and threw together!!!! I'm telling you, you won't be dissapointed with this kit!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

Well, how does the V2 sound in comparison when idle and when revving? Is it the same look in the engine bay?

Didn't know V2-SQ stood for super quiet. Or at least thats what is being said.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:39 AM
Trmachuno
5th Gear Member

I hear the V2 is pretty quiet at idle unless you get an aftermarket bypass valve. X-charger and others are definitly louder.I'd say, what are your plans? If your not going to install the X and would laterwant a intercooler, look into the powerhouse 411 intercooledturbo kit. Creates insanse amounts of power and great for the stop light to stop light and track. If your notlooking to spend$6k-$6.7k total in the future, than go with the H/O vortech or non-intercooled hi-po X. Both are good, butif your lookingfor most hp(youshould be at 310-320rwhp w/a hi-flow muffler on stock psi)and better track performer go h/o vortech, if your just looking for a little more power in the 0-50/60 range, I'd say look into thex. Most hi-po x's I've seen dyno 285rwhp w/duals or a hi-flow muffler so your gonna need to look into more mods(more money to spend) if 300rwhp is your goal.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:51 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

I actually had the aftermarket bypass valve make the car quieter during idle and cruise. It is louder when I am pushing it though. For some reason, on occasion it makes a shreaking noise. Seems to be when it is colder out and I am pushing hard.

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs Supercharger, Which one?