Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Manual Trans Difficult to Downshift

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

Default Manual Trans Difficult to Downshift

It is often difficult shifting from 3-2. I can't seem to just downshift I have to sometimes force it into gear. Does anyone else have this issue with their manual transmission? I am wondering if this is another "perk" of the T-5 or if I need to take it into the dealer.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
05nightrider
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Manual Trans Difficult to Downshift

i dont have a problem with it... sometimes it just doesnt catch right but not a regular occurance
Old 03-26-2008, 11:11 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Is this shifting an effort to slow down by going
from 3rd to 2nd and then popping the clutch?
Bypass this mode of operation and use the
cheaply replacable brakes instead of the buried
in the transmission syncronizers and clutch disc
to slow down. Much easier on the ol tranny.
The syncronizers are doing there very best to
cope with this but they work better when going
from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4th than from 4 to3 to 2 to 1st.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Is this shifting an effort to slow down by going
from 3rd to 2nd and then popping the clutch?
Bypass this mode of operation and use the
cheaply replacable brakes instead of the buried
in the transmission syncronizers and clutch disc
to slow down. Much easier on the ol tranny.
The syncronizers are doing there very best to
cope with this but they work better when going
from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4th than from 4 to3 to 2 to 1st.
No it is not. If I am slowing down, and I always put the car in neutral and coast when slowing and then say the light turns green and I need to put the car in second it is often very difficult. As for upshifts the syncros are pretty crappy at 1-2-3-4 as well, but tolerable, downshifts are very difficult. I had a T-5 in my 02 V6 and 1-2 was always kinda clunky but downshifts and every over gear was smooth. Also there wasn't nearly as much gear rollover noise as this one. So did they change something for 05+ that would contribute to all these new and exciting problems and noises or is the tranny bad?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 PM
05MustangSally
4th Gear Member

I've had this problem for awhile in my car and I'm fed up! Ford would not recognize it as a problem so I never was able to get them to fix it under warranty. My car recently hit 62K so warranty is up! I've posteda thread already about how I plan to rebuild the transmission in May/June. 1-2 and 3-2 has always been the biggest complication. Even worse than 2-3, with 3rd not lining up or clicking in evenly. I have a feeling the sychros are toast or I just need an upgrade. So I will be dropping the transmission andpurchasing a transmission rebuild kit along with a new clutch from Steeda, probably a new lighter flywheel and a new Hurst short throw shifter while I'm at it. I believe this is the only fix to this inadequate T-5 or if you're lucky, you find a dealer that will honor your warranty and attempt to fix it...Good luck!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:32 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05MustangSally

I've had this problem for awhile in my car and I'm fed up! Ford would not recognize it as a problem so I never was able to get them to fix it under warranty. My car recently hit 62K so warranty is up! I've posteda thread already about how I plan to rebuild the transmission in May/June. 1-2 and 3-2 has always been the biggest complication. Even worse than 2-3, with 3rd not lining up or clicking in evenly. I have a feeling the sychros are toast or I just need an upgrade. So I will be dropping the transmission andpurchasing a transmission rebuild kit along with a new clutch from Steeda, probably a new lighter flywheel and a new Hurst short throw shifter while I'm at it. I believe this is the only fix to this inadequate T-5 or if you're lucky, you find a dealer that will honor your warranty and attempt to fix it...Good luck!
Yeah those are the same problems i have, and frankly the crappy transmission has me considering a trade of the car, but not for another Ford product.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

No problems with mine from 2-3 or 3-2. Once in awhile it's hard to get it in Reverse, but I just move it up to 3rd then Reverse.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:50 PM
danbevsv6rumbler
3rd Gear Member

Yes. But I muscle through it... it's sort of expected for me. I guess the stiff clutch and tranny go hand in hand
Old 03-26-2008, 08:02 PM
laserred02
4th Gear Member

thanks for the replies guys, but no more worries I traded it in for something more practical. Happy modding, I will be back when I graduate from college and can afford a Mustang as a second car, but gas and insurance drove me into a 5-speed focus.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:29 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: laserred02

thanks for the replies guys, but no more worries I traded it in for something more practical. Happy modding, I will be back when I graduate from college and can afford a Mustang as a second car, but gas and insurance drove me into a 5-speed focus.
What year Focus did you get? I bought my daughter a 2006 Focus Zx4 SE. They have a lot of pep.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans Difficult to Downshift