Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help for a soon to be new Mustang owner...

Old 03-29-2008, 10:20 AM
zdad

Default Help for a soon to be new Mustang owner...

I have several very low mileage Mustangs on my radar, and plan to actually make a purchase in the next few days. I have some questions since I've never owned a Mustang before. In no particular order....
[ul][*]Used 2007 vs a new 2008 (or even new 2007)? Obviously an '08 would be more. Seems I get much more for the money buying a used low mile 2007. agree or disagree ?[*]Do the warranties stay with the car. That is, if I buy used do I get the remainder of the warranty, regardless of where I bought it ?[*]I think ABS and traction controlare a must. Would you agree?[*]I need this as a daily driver, so the high end version or V-8 is out of the running for now. Any pitfalls with the V-6 ?[*]I'd really like the full gauge cluster. Is it looks only or does it make a difference?[*]The Shaker stero w/ 6 disc changer seems like the right way to go. It's a want to have, but not a need to have.[*]I've always trusted Edmunds.com for their pricing. Any reason to think 16-18K, depending on options is a good price ? [/ul]

This is my car before my mid-life crisis car, so I want it to be fun, but somewhat practical. Here's one under consideration....
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Default RE: Help for a soon to be new Mustang owner...

ORIGINAL: zdad

I have several very low mileae Mustangs on my radar, and plan to actually make a purchase in the next few days. I have some questions since I've never owned a Mustang before. In no particular order....
[ul][*]Used 2007 vs a neww 2008 (or even new 2007)? Obviously an '08 would be more. Seems I get much more for the money buying a used low mile 2007. agree or disagree ?[*]Do the warranties stay with the car. That is, if I buy used do I get the remainder of the warranty, regardless of where I bought it ?[*]I think ABS andtraction controlare a must. Would you agree?[*]I need this as a daily driver, so the high end version or V-8 is out of the running for now. Any pitfalls with the V-6 ?[*]I'd really like the full gauge cluster. Is it looks only or does it make a difference?[*]The Shaker stero w/ 6 disc changer seems like the right way to go. It's a want to have, but not a need to have.[*]I've always trusted Edmunds.com for their pricing. Any reason to think 16-18K, depending on options is a good price ? [/ul]

This is my car before my mid-life crisis car, so I want it to be fun, but somewhat practical. Here's one under consideration....
1. agree
2. yes
3. depends on where u live... but i dont have em
4. nope
5. more soo looks but i have the full gauge and have been in my buddys 4 and i dont like it lol... plus the full gauge gives u more info
6. i love music so for me its a need to have lol
7. yep... u can always talk em down though wit money and good credit... make sure u hustle them before they hustle u lol
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Jsierzega
3rd Gear Member

its obviously going to be alot more from the dealership not to mention all the extra fees they have. when you buy the car used you can still get warrantees which i would recommend doing. i love my 6 but would i take a gt, sure, the only reason is its faster so if thats not your top priority then go with the 6. and ive seen 6's out there as low as 13k with 22k miles on them.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Maverickaf17
3rd Gear Member

[*]Used 2007 vs a neww 2008 (or even new 2007)? Obviously an '08 would be more. Seems I get much more for the money buying a used low mile 2007. agree or disagree ?

ANSWER: In my opinion, I'd go with the used 2007. Depending on how "used" it is.[*]Do the warranties stay with the car. That is, if I buy used do I get the remainder of the warranty, regardless of where I bought it ?

ANSWER: Yes, no matter if you buy a used mustang from Ford or a third party, the manufacturer warranty stays with the car until it hits 3 years or 36,000 miles.[*]I think ABS andtraction controlare a must. Would you agree?

ANSWER: I have a 2005 Ford Mustang which has ABS Brakes but not that ABS Traction Control button. However, I seem to have the same traction as my friend's newish 2007. Depends on the terrain of your area, but its not "needed" for an everyday driver.[*]I need this as a daily driver, so the high end version or V-8 is out of the running for now. Any pitfalls with the V-6 ?

ANSWER: You aren't going to beat a Corvette, but it has a nice pickup. It claims 210HP, but you honestly only get about 185HP. If you add a Cold Air Intake and dual exhaust, you can reclaim that lost HP. And those modifications together are under $500-$600. It really helps. But for the everyday driver like you, the V6 Mustang does it's job effienciently.[*]I'd really like the full gauge cluster. Is it looks only or does it make a difference?

ANSWER: Doesn't really make a difference in performance, just something else to look at. It's a plus to have, but not necessary.[*]The Shaker stero w/ 6 disc changer seems like the right way to go. It's a want to have, but not a need to have.

ANSWER: Thats your opinion. I don't have the Shaker500 System, I have a newish Pioneer radio in my car and has the same power and sound that my friend's Shaker500 System has.
[*]I've always trusted Edmunds.com for their pricing. Any reason to think 16-18K, depending on options is a good price ?

ANSWER: You can get a 2008 V6 Mustang for around $20,000 from Ford. So 16K-18K for a used 2007 seems reasonable, depending on how much milage is already on it. I got my 2005 V6 for $13,500 with 25,000 miles on it last year. You have to think about how long you are going to keep the car and how much you are willing to spend.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:48 AM
zdad

Awesome replies folks. Thanks much !!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:41 AM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

1. Used, save yourself some cash
2. Yes
3. ABS and TC are boring lol. Trust me, you'll have the TC off most of the time
4. The V6 is bad ***, plus with some mods you can easily hold your own against a stock GT, and still be under the price of a GT
5. I have the 4 gauge, the extra 2 don't really matter to me, but I do want my speedometer to go to 140 or higher so a swap is near
6. Sure...but a aftermarket motorized dvd dash can be sick too
7. 16-18 isn't bad at all...but feel free to jew them down a little
Old 03-29-2008, 11:47 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

no prob zdad make sure u take pics of whatever car u get and feel free to ask us questions we're here to help
Old 03-29-2008, 02:53 PM
amptor
2nd Gear Member

1) used only if you are saving several thousand dollars and it looks like-new
2) factory warranty stays with the car, you won't get 36k added on if the car has 40k on it already. the dealer will always try to sell you an extended warranty
3) this is standard in the GT, optional in the V6
4) V6 can cause your dash to rattle, so can a V8 but people on here say it is more the V6 doing that. V6 gives you better fuel economy, I figure I might get 15mpg if I had bought the V8 and I'm getting 19mpg out of the V6.
5) if you're talking about the cluster that goes in the center like in the shelby GT, I'm not sure why anyone would need it. I didn't pay attention to it while I was at the dealer
6) shaker with 6 disc mp3 should not be a problem when you get the package for the car. I would not recommend getting the shaker 1000 because the subwoofer is definitely not going to be worth the extra grand (it was an extra grand back in 2006 not sure about now)
7) I think that's a good price. If you're going for used, you should be able to get any V6 mustang package you want for around 16-18k.