Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Can you have drone with single exhaust???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

Default Can you have drone with single exhaust???

Simple question: Can you have drone with single exhaust setup? I hear people complain about drone, but it seems like it's usually with dual setup. I want to switch from stock V6 exhaust to Flowmaster American Thunder single V6 exhaust. Link to product below. Thanks...

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/pr...35cf7bd342c669
Old 03-30-2008, 12:18 PM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Can you have drone with single exhaust???

Yes, you can. The MRT AeroTurbine has plenty of it. I've been driving with it for nine months, so I've gotten used to it. Though it never really did bother me. I think it usually comes mostly with the louder mufflers. So you should be okay.

You can probably get that muffler cheaper someplace else, I'd imagine.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Pony_car
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VictoriaRR

Yes, you can. The MRT AeroTurbine has plenty of it. I've been driving with it for nine months, so I've gotten used to it. Though it never really did bother me. I think it usually comes mostly with the louder mufflers. So you should be okay.

You can probably get that muffler cheaper someplace else, I'd imagine.
Yeah, I don't think I'll buy directly from Flowmaster. I just included the link so people could see what exhaust I was talking about...
Old 03-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Favre4TD
2nd Gear Member

My single FRPP does a bit,, but a quick stomp on the throttle fix's that
Old 03-30-2008, 12:33 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

The Flowmaster AT axle back is a drone monster. I have it in the garage, the FRPP/Borla was no where near as bad on the interstate.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: themac5150

The Flowmaster AT axle back is a drone monster. I have it in the garage, the FRPP/Borla was no where near as bad on the interstate.
What? No.

I've got a single Flowmaster AT on my car right now, and there might be a little touch of drone around 1700 RPM, but it's barely noticable. I've been told the dual Flowmaster AT's drone badly, but the single does not.

To the OP, the Flow AT you're looking at sounds great for a single muffler, if that's all you're after right now (a single), I'd definitely go for it. Nice deep rumble in the low-mid RPMs, and still a fairly mean noisy sound when you get into the higher RPM range. Definitely turns some heads and gives your Mustang a nice rumbly sound.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:07 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: raubt

ORIGINAL: themac5150

What? No.

I've got a single Flowmaster AT on my car right now, and there might be a little touch of drone around 1700 RPM, but it's barely noticable. I've been told the dual Flowmaster AT's drone badly, but the single does not.

To the OP, the Flow AT you're looking at sounds great for a single muffler, if that's all you're after right now (a single), I'd definitely go for it. Nice deep rumble in the low-mid RPMs, and still a fairly mean noisy sound when you get into the higher RPM range. Definitely turns some heads and gives your Mustang a nice rumbly sound.
Oh Yes! 8.5 hours on the interstate, 70-75mph and the sound was almost maddening. I didn't notice it around town, and it sounded good. But on long trips with the RPMs up, I took it off the moment I got home from that trip and put the stocker back on. Ordered the FRPP/Borla. It was better. The AT was the worst under load going up the hills. I couldn't even listen to the radio with all the noise/phasing going on.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:32 PM
JimC

Yep, had the Flowmaster AT on the car - great sound in town, great sound at the track, drove me nuts on the highway. I commute 60 miles one way all expressway and it got so bad I couldn't hear the radio.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

I have that muffler. I love the sound. As far as driving on interstate did not bother me at all.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:52 PM
thedragon
1st Gear Member

So then does anyone have a reccomendation for a muffler that doesnt have as much drone but still sounds good. Cause even around town at about 45mph it bugs the hell out of me. Though idle and lower speed the AT sounds nice.

Quick Reply: Can you have drone with single exhaust???