Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Worth a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Worth a Tune?

Are you planning on getting a bigger intake? I noticed ahuge difference, but I went with the C&L intake at the same time. I don't know if you will see as much of a gain with the aircharger system installed. It flows, but it's still the same size MAF housing as stock so it doesn't require a tune. Am I correct? I agree the tune will make the response better, but I can only tell you how my car feels with BOTH the intake and tunes.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 AM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

You are correct about the K&N not requiring a charge but what most people have said even people at vmp, bama, and brenspeed have all said that for the money getting a bigger air intake system ain't worth it. That kind of adds to my delimma because if I didn't already have a K&N I would definitely go with a C&L or JLT with the tuner no questions asked. But since I have the k&n and have been told its not worth it to upgrade then is it worth it to get a tuner esp if probably just going to use the 87 tune
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 AM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I looked up the price on the aircharger, quite expensive for what it is. I'm not going to say they(C&L,VMP, etc,)are not a worthy upgrade, those intakes move more air, but in your case, it would be costly, and the gain wouldn't be worth the amount you would have invested in the K&N paperweight and buying a new intake.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

I already have the aircharger setup
Old 03-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

If you have an auto trany you should see an improvement even with a 87 tune. High-octane fuel adds ZERO more HP to your motors Output. So you can go with the 87 tune just fine.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

That's why if you bought a new intake, it would become a paperweight, or garage art.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:33 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Yellow Tang

If you have an auto trany you should see an improvement even with a 87 tune. High-octane fuel adds ZERO more HP to your motors Output. So you can go with the 87 tune just fine.
You're right, but the 93 octane tune with 93 fuel does. The 93tune uses advanced timing the 87 fuelcan't handle. It's an easy HP grab, we just can't spin the distributor to get it.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: themac5150

ORIGINAL: Yellow Tang

You're right, but the 93 octane tune with 93 fuel does. The 93tune uses advanced timing the 87 fuelcan't handle. It's an easy HP grab, we just can't spin the distributor to get it.
Yes and my Point is the HP comes from the advanced Timing not the Octane. The Octane is now needed due to the advanced timing. Advanced timing adds the HP Not The FUEL. He can still get a tune and improve his shift points Right? From what I have herd on here the auto trany guys have less get up and go as us manual trany guys have. I just asked this same question a short time ago about my manual trany stang and was told I would not see much if any improvement going with a 87 tune because I have a Manual trany and it would only help Auto trany people. He does not want to go with the High-octane tune, he will see an improvement but not in HP that is his wants and needs I just see no reason to question what he wants.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
vtmustangs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: themac5150

ORIGINAL: vtmustangs

That's why if you bought a new intake, it would become a paperweight, or garage art.
Sorry misunderstood you...so whats your final theory on what I should do then if stick with the K&N and more than likely only use the 87 tune?
Old 03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
musicheadt
3rd Gear Member

I dont think a tuner is worth paying for if you are using 87 octane tunes. I went to an 87 Performance tune from a 93 performance tune. The 87 feels like I took my CAI off and put my old airbox back in. I'm driving out of my way to work to run out the tank of 87 octane.....if you commute a lot, the 87 mileage tune might be the only reason to purchase a tuner.

Quick Reply: Worth a Tune?