Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger #051 installed!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:26 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Default X-Charger #051 installed!

The Hi-Po 2.8 X-Charger is in! Here is a little journal of my experience.

INSTALL:

Everything went pretty smooth. My brother was supposed to help, but he made me do the pretty much the whole thing and just supervised lol. VERY good learning experience, I learned a lot about my car and I'm glad he made me do it. Instructions were great, and the pictures were very helpful. Here are a couple things that had me hung up for a bit:

The fuel crossover tube is rubbing right up against the supercharger in its stock position (Picture 1). I twisted it towards the front of the car a bit to move it away from the supercharger and prevent it from wearing a hole (Picture 2).

The fittings on the inlet were confusing for me as far as what hose goes to which fitting. The fix for the tubing from the bypass valve is packaged with the kit, and the picture that comes with the fix shows a bit different setup than the instructions. Not sure it is 100% correct, but in the end, I got this setup (Picture 3):
- Passenger’s side fitting goes to fitting on passenger’s side valve cover
- Middle fitting goes to the EGR valve, reusing the little EGR tube apparatus. The main green fitting on this tube apparatus is blocked off with a little rubber cap you get with the fix package. The other two small tubes encorporated on this EGR tube go to the EGR valve.

- Driver's side fitting is supposed to be for the vapor hose, but my brother put the brake booster hose on there. I told him it shouldn't be that way but he said it wouldn't matter, that the vapor hose could go on the bottom fitting...haven't had any troubles yet.... *knock on wood*
- Bottom fitting (underside of inlet tube) goes to the vapor hose.

If that needs to be changed, someone can let me know.

The hose from the bypass valve goes to a Y-adapter. One hose from the Y-adapter goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the driver's side of the X in between the inlet extension and the supercharger. The other hose from the Y-adapter goes to the little brass fitting on the of the base of the supercharger manifold discharge lid, behind the supercharger, right next to the air charge temp (ACT) sensor. (Pictures 4 & 5)

Also, if you threw out or sold your stock airbox, the kit wants you to use the rubber grommets that were on it to mount the new heatshield. Didn't have those, so I had to improvise with some stuff around the shop.

While I was working on things, I did a throttle body coolant bypass. Looped a hose on the throttle body and a hose from the two coolant source fittings. (Pictures 6 & 7)

Install took around 15 hours for me, being a novice and taking things VERY slow.

START-UP:

The moment of truth. Loaded up the tunes that Doug had sent me earlier that day. Turned the key on and off to prime the fuel pump. Surely this baby won't just fire up, I probably managed to screw something up. Forgot a gasket, didn't tighten a bolt...hell, maybe I bumped a bolt into the intake port and it would rattle around and fudge everything up when I fired it up. Something's gotta go wrong. Turned the key....

SUCCESS!

Ran like a champ, no leaks, no funny noises, just pure joygasm. Biggest grin on my face in a long time.

TEST DRIVE:

Took it out for a drive with my friend, my brother, and my brother's friend. My brother is about 200, his friend is around 240, my friend is 160, and I weigh in at a whopping 155 soaking wet. So there was some weight. Figured it probably wouldn't want to haul us all around too easily. Boy was I wrong.

Took it easy on the first go, just gave it about 3/4 throttle or less from a roll. That's the kind of power I expected to gain, very satisfied. So what about WOT!?

Stopped on the frontage road, put 'er in first, power braked it a little...YEEHAW!!! HOLY CRAP! I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made. My brother is a big motorhead and he couldn't believe it. He said he never imagined I would get that much get-up-n-go out of my sixer. He was thoroughly impressed.

CONCLUSIONS:

Eaton SCREAM: Just like EE advertises it: ADDICTING! I love that sound. I get on it just to hear that supercharger winding up.

My brother wanted to hear it from outside the car, so he got out and it was just my friend and I. With the 400+ less pounds, I power braked it and I swear with my peg leg I coulda squealed 'em all day all the way down the frontage road lol

The car has a very linear feel to it; just like everyone says, it feels like a more powerful stock engine. The power off the line is great, and that's the most important benefit to me.

Took a trip to town (about 40 miles). Set my cruise at 80 the second I got on the highway and from that point to when I got off on the off-ramp, I had gotten 27.9 mpg.

Overall, I can't be happier with this kit. It met all my needs and is perfect for me. Install was a breeze. And at $3800 after shipping and pulley swap, it was perfect for my budget too!

Picture 2

Picture 3

Pictures 4 & 5

Fuel pressure regulator

Pictures 6 & 7

And yes, I realize that last picture resembles a phallus... noticed it after I saved it lol

[URL=http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/jblanchet/X-Charger%20Install/]Here i
Old 04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

Default RE: X-Charger #051 installed!

Congrats!I am glad you like it. How much for your TI intake?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:17 PM
tmsmith
3rd Gear Member

Lets see some videos!

Glad everything went as plan. Looks good.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
BobbyRay

...i want one.

Congrats!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Ahhhh it's killing me.. I want one.. I'm moving in the next few months.. so a no go for me.. [:@]
Old 04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cam2904

Congrats!I am glad you like it. How much for your TI intake?
TI intake is selling for $100 shipped. pm me, first person to commit to it gets it!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:59 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Nice! I had mine shipped yesterday...apparently they lied when they said I was the first of 2 being shipped! ANYWAYS, quick question, which tune did you go for? Did you go for the custom tune for $75ish or the 2 X-Charger tunes for $150?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

got the 2-pack of tunes from doug. Got them for $100 since I had gotten tunes from him before!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

That is cool! I have been thinking about a Procharger, but have been leaning toward the X. Do you have gears?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

No gears. Didn't want to hurt my mileage, as I do a fair amount of highway driving. Maybe someday though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: X-Charger #051 installed!