Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

single exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
kngdaka
4th Gear Member

Default RE: single exhaust

I haven't bought a single yet because I'm going straight to duals to at least balance out the rear end of the car. If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. Most people who buy single eventually find themselves going duals in a short period of time
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 PM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kngdaka

I haven't bought a single yet because I'm going straight to duals to at least balance out the rear end of the car. If you're gonna do it, do it right the first time. Most people who buy single eventually find themselves going duals in a short period of time
And some guys who went duals decided to change to another set of duals in a short period of time... myself included.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:19 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Hi there Bobby Ray, love your name. You asked if there is any performance loss with turndowns? No. As with any exhaust system, if you put a bend in the system, it's gonna affect the efficiency of your overall flow, especially if you install pipes that have not been made with mandrel bends. All good systems these days seem to be made on mandrel machines. The old style kinky bends are gone in the after market. You need to be careful though about what you with your exhaust system on a V6 like in our Mustangs. First of all whether most people realize it or not, the V6 in our cars actually expelsexhaust gases better in a system that does not include either an X pipe or H pipe.Why? Because a V6 creates a sequence of the exhaust pulses that are even andrythmical, no need for balancing of the internal pulses and pressures in the exhaust system.In a V8 because of the sequence of the firing order in the cylinders, an X or H pipe helps to balance out theuneven pulses and pressures created in a V8'sexhaustsystem, leading to increased power and efficiency gains in the operation of the motor. In V6s in most important to maintain adequate back pressure to keep good low end torque. Guys like me who like to run straight through exhaust systems need to be careful not to lower the back pressure to the point where low end performance suffers big time. My car runs very well now with the straight through system I've got on it because of two things - I've still got the stocks cats in place and I'm still running a single pipe from the y-pipe back. A big reason why I decided not to go with the Stainless Works full dual system is because I would have destroyed my low end power with a big diameter dual straight through system. $1500 for the system would have been a total waste. So this is why I'm going with the system below. Again, the cats and y-pipe will ensure adequate back pressure to maintain good low end performance. Jack

[IMG]local://upfiles/63501/37FF04071AEF4FBA8F913B18DDE07A4D.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-13-2008, 08:46 PM
oi8achevy
2nd Gear Member

i have a 4.0 with a single exhaust with a faux left pipe for the look of duals. its a custom setup i built with a midpipe glass pack and custom fabricated 5" stainless steel baffled tailpipes with 2.5" cores and 4" tips. the sound is very deep and no drone. a few guys in my town have true duals on theirs and they dont sound as good as mine. some say they wish they had done something similar to my setup.

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/h...0-0025_MVI.flv
Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

i have dual magnaflows and love em... you can check the video of them out in the websites in my sig...

as for single there is a gal on here who i think has a flowmaster single...i cruised with her all day yesterday...it not only gives the car some more guts if you will, but it sounded great and was nice looking....

im trying to coordinate a video shoot with her (make it like mine) but showing her single and letting folks hear it inside outside and on drivebys etc...it was nice... you can find her in the threads i post in, she writes in pink....

i can honestly say of the singles i have heard in person this one was nice.....

Old 04-14-2008, 01:12 AM
king07
1st Gear Member

Concerning the drone on the Mrt. Well at 65-70 not a problem. At 71-75 it gets a little anoying. On long drives I set the cruise at 65 or 70. I dont have a problem with it. My wife has sensitive hearing and doesnt complain if I stay 70 or below. She throws a fit if I speed with her in the car any way. I recently made a small road trip w/ my brother and we did 75 the whole time. The drone was ok but you really had to speak up to carry on a conversation. I spend about 40 min a day driveing back and forth to work on the highway and cruiseing at 70-75 doesnt bother me I just crank up the stereo.Driveing around town is not a problem at all. All in all Im very happy with the MRT Aero Turbine exhaust. Its loud and I Love it. Untill it gets broke in it will have a higher pitch but later it drops in tone and begins to give more of a rumble. I hope this has helped you out. If your looking for a head turning single axelback exhaust you cant go wrong with the MRT. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 04-14-2008, 01:24 AM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

Why would you put a fake dual on??? You own a 05+ mustang not a 1983 Camaro....dear god
Old 04-14-2008, 02:34 AM
phunnyguy
4th Gear Member

buy a tip before doing fake dual...it will look better....
Old 04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
NocturnalV6
2nd Gear Member

That is a slap in the face of the mustang. Kinda like that kid that put the "turbo" badge on his stock V6. These are not ricers that you throw a coffee can on to make it sound "Badass" lol. You buy a $17,000+ vehicle to put a fake $20 dual on?? And think it's cool?[:@]
Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 PM
BobbyRay

Thanks for the info jwilhelm!