Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

battery drain...

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

Default battery drain...

Okay, I've done the search and found that some have experienced dead batteries, and seemingly the culprit is not turning off the stereo before turning off the ignition, right?

Well, woke up to a dead battery one day, tried to jump it, to no avail. So I took the battery in and had it charged. Now, the stereo was off, the alarm was not set (car was in the garage), no doors/trunk lid left open, etc. So what is draining it?

I think I may have found the problem, just wondering if anyone has had the same issue. After installing sequential tail lights, I noticed a problem with the alarm system. The dash light that normally tells you the alarm is in the "armed" mode, continues to flash, whether it is on or off. Never had the prob until the light mod. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Yellow Tang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: battery drain...

If you are talking about the AT light flashing on the dash my F150 did that all the time and so does this Mustang. When shut off. it should be a LED and only uses very small amount of MV to work. I dont think thats it. I have Seq tails too and do not have a battery problem. Have you done any other wireing work Speakers, amps, any other mods that are powered?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

if u have the stock battery that one sucks ***... i would just get a better one like an optima and call it a day
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: slowryde45

Okay, I've done the search and found that some have experienced dead batteries, and seemingly the culprit is not turning off the stereo before turning off the ignition, right?

Well, woke up to a dead battery one day, tried to jump it, to no avail. So I took the battery in and had it charged. Now, the stereo was off, the alarm was not set (car was in the garage), no doors/trunk lid left open, etc. So what is draining it?

I think I may have found the problem, just wondering if anyone has had the same issue. After installing sequential tail lights, I noticed a problem with the alarm system. The dash light that normally tells you the alarm is in the "armed" mode, continues to flash, whether it is on or off. Never had the prob until the light mod. Anyone else have this issue? If so, what was the fix?
Are you sure that flashing light is not your PATS system indicator
and not the alarm armed indicator? Confirm this via the owners manual.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:15 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Old 04-17-2008, 07:40 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 157db

Are you sure that flashing light is not your PATS system indicator
and not the alarm armed indicator? Confirm this via the owners manual.
That's exactly what it is. But why is it flashing regardless of armed or not-armed? Is this by design? I nevernoticed it before the tail lights, that's what had me a little confused.

I called the dealership to ask them, of course they want it to come in and PC diagnose it. No probs doing that, just didn't feel like getting jerked around about the air and program mod on the car, and didn't feel like pulling the C&L off and putting the stock box back on just for that. I checked the TSB's but didn't find anything addressing this issue.

Any clues?
Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
shb5007
3rd Gear Member

It's because of that GREAT security system we all have...

Sorry, prolly just wasted your time...

Wish I could help.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 PM
elroyjetson_1978
2nd Gear Member

My battery went dead sitting at a crash site and wouldn't start. I had Autozone test the battery and it had a dead cell in it after only 2 yrs. If you have no mods to any wiring other than the sequentials then this is probably what happened.
Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
slowryde45
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shb5007

It's because of that GREAT security system we all have...

Sorry, prolly just wasted your time...

Wish I could help.
No prob..and no waste of my time. Any and all help I can get is always appreciated. Even if just making light of the situation.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:52 PM
landon.moss
2nd Gear Member

my 05 had a bad cell in summer of 07....got it replaced free

Quick Reply: battery drain...